1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason Rudolph Is What He Is

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Aug 14, 2022.

1. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I don’t think he played particularly amazing, but he did fine enough. Mason plays hard and gives it everything he has. Certainly has earned better respect than the boos. I get that everyone wanted to see Pickett out there, but Mason doesn’t need to get booed.

He’s done everything right… says the right things, has the right attitude, plays with heart when he’s out there. He just isn’t good enough to be a starter in this league. That’s fine. Don’t boo the kid.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    What did Mason really do other than the deep ball to Pickens? We already know he can do that. All you have to do is put on his college tape to see his strengths and limitations coming into the league. In college it was lofted deep balls to Washington, fades to Ateman and JW, and a lot of screens. Nothing over the middle or to the sidelines with zip and timing. That’s still the case. What he does, he does well, but he continues to show that he can’t consistently throw the full NFL route tree. Also, as has been mentioned by others his pocket presence and awareness aren’t NFL starter caliber. I have nothing against the guy, but I don’t want those limitations in our starting QB. I thought he was the weakest of our 3 QBs on tape Saturday night, and it wasn’t close. As I’ve said before, if he proves me wrong and turns into a good starter for us I’ll enjoy eating crow. It’s not happening though.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    how was he the weakest? he drove the field twice and we put up 10 points in a little over a quarter. pickett had two critical sacks ending drives. one on a 4th down play and one making our punter punt from the back of the end zone. for as good as he played it could have gone very different for him, if it wasn't for a couple of other players giving him help. ( robinson and vaughn). i'm not getting down on the kid, i'm happy he looked good in his debut but people are acting like he's the second coming and mason stunk up the joint. just not the case. we saw ben over the years throw picks right at a defensive player and not just once or twice. it happens. mitch played very little so his sample size was minimal. gunner was uncovered by the defense on the TD. it made mitch look much better than maybe he really was. let the process play out. i think they have it right for now. they all can play better and i believe will. the whole team has to get in cinq. we will see when all the starters play together finally. we will face better defenses too. way too early to expect this is how the season will go after one preseason game. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He is who I thought he was, a serviceable back up for a 2 game stretch and that is about it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he put the ball right on two receivers down the middle at the goal line which were dropped. i'm not buying that mason can't throw over the middle. look at the film. perception and reality are quite different. i'm not saying he should start but this crap about him not being able as the other two is crap. he didn't allow the d-end around the corner on the strip. he didn't commit the penalty to set them back right off the bat. bias against this kid is sometimes unwarranted. two pretty nice drives in this game for him actually. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    This is a bit of a strange thing, watching the Steelers in preseason and keeping an eye on the QB spot.

So, they got in the reps they really wanted to do and got a feel for how they respond.
    I don't think Mitch has this firmly in his grasp.. I do think it is his to lose.

I think we saw 3 successful first outings buy all 3.

Mitch Tribuski - I'd like to see him smooth it out a little more, get that timing down. I didn't really see that 'deer in the headlights' moment from him and I think that's the offense being coached to him. In Regular season, Defenses WILL be game planning and looking to confuse him.

Mason Rudolf - He did fumble on the sack, and that was after a good Special Team play - Not good. But he threw a good pass to Pickens who made a great catch for a TD. He drives the team for a FG to answer Seattle's score, the drive included a damn Warren fumble. He has 3 straight incompletions on the next drive. As some have mentioned, there is a difference in the offense with Mason as opposed to Mitch and Kenny.

Kenny Pickett - Seattle ties it up after half, but Kenny drives the team right back down the field for a TD. Even though this is against backups, he executes well and shows command of that offense. I liked his reads and I liked he confidence. The next drive didn't go so well but gave Tomlin an excellent situation to see how Kenny responds with his back to the goal line. I did like the confidence to have him throw the ball in that situation. I did not like the sack. The turnover on downs was not my favorite, you have to convert those with time running out. It ended with a sack and in regular season, we go to OT. The Defense gave Tomlin another look at Kenny in a situation, score tied and the clock running out. Kenny responded very well, using his legs and arm to get them in the endzone. Impressive work.

All said, I would start Mitch for maybe a Quarter, let Kenny run the 2nd and 3rd Qtrs., and Mason clean up. I want Mitch to smooth things out and get in rhythm with 1st team and I want a longer look at Kenny against better defenders.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    If Mason is content being the backup as was Charlie Batch, I want to keep Mason for as long as we can. Mitch is only on a two year deal and if Pickett is the future I do not see Mitch sticking around. Mason can definitely come in and play well and win games for us.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Rudolph was a panic pick when Ben told the media he might retire that offseason. He never had the goods.

9. Philofarnsworth79

Philofarnsworth79 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Mason played pretty well for all the criticism in this thread... He made the only NFL level throws completed in the game by pittsburgh QBs... The fans were already down on him b4 kickoff had even happened... Some of the criticism is justified but Rudolph will not get a fair shot in pittsburgh as trubisky & Pickett both are new & played well...

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    you can't get hit in the head with your own helmet and be the leader of the Steelers. Also People see what Rudolph is as a player at this point. Fans are sick of him trotting out there and being a bad QB. He's been given chances in real games for the Steelers and if you thought he had something, you're blind or in denial

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not saying one is better than the other, but I do find it funny everyone has decided 2 skip the , or act like it didn't happen.....the only time Trubisky actually tried 2 go deep, and missed His guy by 7 yards. :shrug:
    Now if I remember correctly.....most complained about pushing the ball down the field last year, and unless Trubisky has really changed (He might have) from all the Chicago games I've watched....that is His weakness....being accurate down the field.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    This is all true. All I am saying is that we already know what Mason Rudolph is. At least with Mitch you get some mobility and pocket presence. I think Mitch can be a serviceable starter. Mason is a serviceable backup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He was but he is as good of a back up as most

14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Drafting him was a mistake, brought on by Ben running his mouth reckless again.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Absolutely

But we have him

We need a back up

He is fairly priced as a backup

He’s familiar

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I want to see Mitch do well and live up to his draft status and hype. It's still crazy to think that Mitch was drafted above Mahomes and Watson. It was always a headscratcher why he was even considered a 1st rounder let alone the 2nd overall pick and 1st QB taken in 2017 draft.

2018 was a strong QB class with Mayfield, Darnold, Josh Allen, Rosen, and Lamar. Those guys were all legit 1st round talent which makes the steelers claim they had a 1st round grade on MR even more ridiculous.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. Woodson two-six

Woodson two-six Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2019
    I think Mason looked completely different out there on Saturday (than he has the past few seasons). He actually had a little bit of poise and showed some touch on some deeper throws (has sailed a lot throws in the past). Sometimes good QB play doesn't always involve 5 TDs and 450+ yards. Sometimes, managing the offense and taking what the defense gives you, while not turning the ball over, is a great sign!!

I'm not at all saying he's the starter, but I will guarantee you that Tomlin and the QB coach and O-Coordinator are having some serious talks about ways to separate these 3 guys. I agree Trubisky may look like the guy with the edge, but it's only been one game. I think all three guys need a larger sample size (more series in a row. I would not at all be surprised to see Mason start the next game, just so they can get a look with different personnel while putting him into a different situation. I will also say, that I don't feel KP will be a starter this season (barring any unforeseen issues)

Go Steelers!

• Like Like x 2
  18. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    About an hour ago they are saying Mason is being linked to a trade to the Lions. I hope this is false. I know it has also been mentioned to the Jets too. I would like to see him go to a team where he may be able to have a legitimate shot with the support around him. I think Minnesota would be a decent destination. Kirk Cousins is wearing out his welcome there, but maybe Mason could excel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Who is saying

What are there legitimate sources

Or are these talking heads

Asking for my friends

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    A third for Mason on average might give us a starter

A fourth is a much bigger drop in value

Seventh and you may as well pick the best punter

21. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Probably more Twitter reporters.

Lions rumor reported by
    #$idewayssteve987$#@&#

Jets rumor reported by
    @kattinaNFL5123###00

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  22. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I posted the link in the Mr to lb nonsense thread. SI had the article. Several other sources.

• Like Like x 1
  23. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    15 games over 5 seasons isn't much of a sample size, but okay.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    This was absolutely an "NFL level throw":

9+yard out route from the opposite hash, even had pressure in his face and took a hit as he threw that was called for roughing.

As I stated in one of the draft room threads, these are the kinds of throws that win games. And whaddya know, that is exactly what it did.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Trubinski also missed an open receiver on a third down in the game. Trubinski also stunk it up in Chicago like Mark Malone used to stink it up. I am no great fan of either, but Rudolph didn’t have a running game or an OL when he came back too quickly after getting knocked out. He also made that late throw over the middle which should have been picked off. Mason can be a Kirk Cousin or Alex Smith type of a qb at best that can take you to the playoffs, but that’s it. Trubinski is another Marcus Marriota or Baker Mayfield who will run, get hit and start throwing interceptions . So far I like Pickett. No prime Big Ben here who will compete and suck the life out of Ohio fans.

• Winner Winner x 1