1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB Battle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 24, 2022.

1. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I look no further than our rivals to the northwest. Has any if their 1st round picks lasted past their rookie deals? Jets and Eagles and others are struggling as well, in terms of habitually going through 1st round QBs.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Trubisky looked solid today. Solid outing. Definitely our #1 QB. A

Rudolph started out great. If he was pulled mid 2nd Q I would've felt much better about him. But as OL were being shuffled in and he no longer had 1st teamers blocing for him is when he began to struggle and then look downright horrible. I have to grade his performance a B-. His lack of mobility really showed its fruit.

Pickett played well. It wasn't overly great but he did what was asked of him. And when he was given the second shot with the game on the line, he took advantage of it. Statline looks great but I'd like to see him push it down the field more as well as throwing it away as opposed to taking the sack. Kenny Clutch... A-

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Worst of all, they likely lost their starting Center for the whole season. People tend to underrate Centers by a great degree. Sure, they do not protect the blindside like a Left Tackle but one should not underestimate the value of how critical a Center is for the entire Offensive Line's Situational Awareness and abilities to quickly diagnose blitz patterns/packages. Even a good one can often spell the difference between converting that Third Down or giving it back to the other team.

In Philly's Defense, had Carson Wentz not taken that nasty hit in 2017, we are likely talking about a different Eagles Offensive Unit. As for the Jets, Chicago, Minnesota and Detroit, no argument here.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    after tonight it looks like.... we have three potential #1 QBS and Oladokun on the practice squad. to have 3 capable Qb's gives us options. not a bad place to be in. after tonight nothing changes - Trubisky is the starter Mason is the #2 and Pickett #3. next preseason games will be interesting as it could affect this order. we may not have a franchise guy at QB but we three decent options. looking forward to how it unfolds. we are not in a bad place when it comes to the QB room. we have options. we have three decent QBs. this season we are not going to be a bad team. I think we make the playoffs and scare a SB run,

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

For Mitch and Mason I will concede about not having a Franchise QB. As for Pickett?! Way too early to me to say he does not have the capability to win games. If anything, tonight was a great step in the right direction. One touchdown on the opening drive is nice. A game winner?! Even better.

Much to work on for Kenny but I have no doubt that he will continue to get better as time moves forward.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Beerburgh

Beerburgh Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2022
    Imagine Pickett with DJ, Claypool, Pickens, Austin, etc. He's the future and I'm pumped. He makes quick decisions. He'll throw some bad interceptions as he grows but he's the future and I would rather have him than Mac Jones.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    agree: from my intuitive vibes so far Pickett> Mac Jones

• Like Like x 1
  8. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    If last year's preseason is any indication then you may see this as early as week 3 of the preseason.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I can see how having your errors pointed out would be tiresome for you. The proper response there would be to acknowledge that your comment was not correct because Tomlin even said Trubisky would have started a meaningful game this weekend due to his superior resume.

10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That was a good way to put it. They definitely had the training wheels on for Pickett.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Yeah, I don't get it. It seems like only Picket was allowed to run Canadas offense with the mobile pocket and the jet sweeps.

Both Mitch and Mason seemed more to be running the traditional drop back, vanilla offense you see all teams run in the preseason.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    You know what shows there? That first round draft position. There's a reason Mason went in the third and the Steelers were the only ones talking about having a first round grade on him.

13. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

All the roll outs and boots cut the field in half. Make your reads easier. Not saying that's a bad thing they did the same for Ben early in his career and all he did was win his first 14 games. (13 regular 1 playoff)

HACK

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, because I love the Steelers.
    But this was an exhibition game most starters for both teams did not play.
    I liked what I saw out of all 3 QBS, there are going to be growing pains. The key is to learn from
    the mistakes that will come to each and every player. Pray our OL will be much better than last year.
    We saw a little of what a mobile QB can bring not a running QB but a mobile QB, both Pickett and Mitch are capable of this and hopefully keeping their eyes downfield to make a play.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am huge Pitt fan and Kenny Pickett fan, if Kenny can play as well as Mac Jones did last year
    I will be happy. And then mature as a player. We shall see only time will tell. Please don't confuse Kenny with Pat Mahomes/ Aaron Rogers, he may never reach that league, but if surrounded
    by help, he can win games for us.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    This is fair. Pickett mostly had training wheels on and threw to predestined spots. He definitely has a ton of growing to do, and that's to be expected out of someone that's only played 8 padded practices. Trubinsky didn't have a ton of reps, but I think what really separated him from the other's is his TD pass. He scrambled to his weakside and found the open target. I honestly put in Pickett mid 2nd Q against the Jags and allow him to get a couple of first team reps as well as the 3Q then let Mason finish the game in the 4th.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    and on it goes... and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on......................................................................:cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on.........:cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    and on, and on, and on, and on, and on....................................:cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  20. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    No it's not. He's not a project. He's not an out of the world talent like others who had to sit to develop the raw skills. He was picked due to all his abilities to already be a pro ready qb. Should be starting. Especially looking at who's starting over him? He cant beat out these bums?

21. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I think Pickett should be starting from what I saw.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’d be willing to move Pickett to number 2 but I’d keep Mason as insurance he’s cheap per se

I wouldn’t start the season with two rookies backing up Mitch

Mitch should start and he needs more time next week and the week after with the 1’s

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Another one on the ignore list? Someone is going for the record?

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    That picture is an omen. Ben got us 5 and 6 but could not match his number. Pickett will get us 7 then match his number 8:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  25. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I understand getting caught up in the excitement, but Pickett was playing against people that won’t be employed tomorrow. I would hold off on anointing him the savior

• Agree Agree x 2