1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB Battle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 24, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not twisting anything. There are two occasions I remember mocking people for using statistics. One is the people paying way too much attention to the statistics of the three quarterbacks in training camp. The other is people who try to judge individual players by their team's success, usually in the context of saying one of the few things dumber than evaluating quarterbacks solely by their teams' wins and losses is trying to do the same thing with players at other positions.

2. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    You twisted a little. You state Tribusky had a huge advantage in TDs and yards but he also started 40 more games. I think it's safe to say neither one of these guys are the future otherwise we wouldn't have drafted Pickett.

I'm rooting for Mason only because we drafted him. It's tough to make an assessment on him when he's only started 10 games.

Steelers QB Mason Rudolph deserves a legitimate shot to start in 2022 - Page 5 (stillcurtain.com)

The link/article compares both QBs first 10-12 games.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. winggin

Oct 23, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    It’s clear Mitch is going to win QB1 to start the season which is fine. I would think we all know what we have in MR which isn’t much, certainly not a starting QB in the NFL. KP will need at least 1 year to hold a clipboard and learn. Mitch sucks but he’s the best option we have right now. Which brings me to our plight why are we arguing over who is worse? This team isn’t winning Jack squat with any of these QBs.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    all 3 are here to manage the team when needed. mitch does have more experience. he also didn't have a two time super bowl winning qb in front of him. he was a top draft pick that didn't cut it at the team that drafted him. he became a serviceable backup. he now has a chance to start for a short while and should be on a short leash if outperformed. we shall see. the current backup of the steelers is outperforming him in camp. the rookie needs time. the steelers added mike vick at one time too because of his experience. because of what he did in the past. that didn't work out well. we shall see what mitch can do. then we might see what mason can do. then.... who knows. they are all pretty capable of about the same level of play. we are in the years of the neil o'donnell range i believe. we can argue all year but none are our next franchise QB at this point. we can win with them though. may the best of the bunch play. :cool:

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we have not heard a word about our other rookie QB either. mason seems safe for this year which he should be just in case. much like he was when he had to play in 2019. i have trust in sullivan and canada to improve all 3 of our QBs into serviceable leaders of this team this year. baby steps for this offense. they are so young across the board. they should improve together. we have talent on that side and now they need experience together and that is at every position, not just QB. :cool:

8. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I think you and I are the only two pulling for Mason. Let's face it this team will be sitting on the couch watching the Playoffs just like us. IMO this season is a wash. I'm just hoping Pickett becomes the man in 2023 and many year after.

Dateline 15 years from now: Mike Tomlin has stepped down after 30 years as Steelers head Coach. He only had one losing season. Insiders say he was blessed to have Ben R. and Pickett under center for most that time:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  9. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    It's not that many of us aren't pulling for MR, it's that after four years in the organization, hundreds of practices, and thousands of reps, he's really failed to show any significant improvement as far as we can tell. More importantly, it seems the FO and coaching staff have reached the same conclusion. At least based on the fact that they brought in 3 new QBs this year. They're clearly looking for someone, almost anyone, other than MR to replace Ben.

None of that instills any confidence whatsoever in MR.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Question anyone? Steelers practice is gonna have 7 shots again here soon...The QB's have been throwing everyday ( quite a few from what I'm seeing )

Is this normal practice? I know in Baseball they Baby pitchers arms, but in Football...You throw EVERY day? What's the difference?

• Like Like x 1
  11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    No hate. It's just the body of work. He had a leg up being a Steeler now for the 5th season and doesn't possess the moxie to be a full time starter. Nice back up but that's it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    If I had only written that Trubisky had a huge advantage in touchdowns and yards without context, you might have a point, but I didn't. I focused on his superior experience, running skills, and percentages. He has a higher completion percentage, yards per attempt, and quarterback rating. He also has a lower interception percentage. I also acknowledged that Rudolph has a slightly higher touchdown percentage.

That said, it would be a mistake to leave out that Trubisky does have a big advantage in passing yards and touchdowns, too. He has played more and produced more. He has a lot more NFL game experience, and that should not be ignored when comparing him to Rudolph.

Rudolph got the opportunity to start in 2019. He had some decent performances before being injured, but he was not good when he returned. He stunk most of his only start in 2020, though at least he made some plays against the Browns' prevent defense. He was bad in his only start of 2021. His proponents bring up his early-camp statistics, but remember, this coaching staff has seen him for years. I believe they know what they have. I believe that knowledge is a big part of why they signed Trubisky and drafted Pickett in the first round. They know they need a starter in the short term and the long term. I don't think they put all those resources into the position if they thought Rudolph had any real chance of being that guy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Mason Rudolph had 5 starts where he passed for UNDER 200 yards! He NEVER , passed for over 300 yards in a game! His HIGH,for a game was 251 yards!

That's horrible...He stinks!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not 2 argue, but as a Qb .....I could care less about who's the better runner. You are leaving out one had the Coach of the Year.....Have We ever had the coach of the year???
    I'm not bashing Tomlin....actually I'm a Tomlin supporter, but I don't remember Him winning coach of the Year.
    Now I know You can say what You want about Nagy, but it doesn't take away that He still won it.
    Seems funny when We played Trubisky (I could be wrong), but I don't remember him being a threat at all.....I do remember us not being able 2 stop their running game.

15. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I jumped off the Rudolph bandwagon after the Lions game, but if he proves to be the best QB for week 1... then so be it. I'm not gonna kick and scream unless he pulls a "bad-Kordell" and throws 3 INTs.

• Like Like x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Something people tend 2 forget.....if Ben was still Here at his very best ....they still would have 2 bring in Qbs. You can't go into camp, or the season with only one QB, or even 2.

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What????
    How the Hell was He going 2 play over Ben???

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You do know in Trubisky 50 starts he has only passed for 300 yards ( or over )7 whole times. He went a whole season in 2019 without doing it.
    He also has 22 games when He didn't pass for 200 yards.....So.....:shrug: what's that say???

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. winggin

Oct 23, 2011
    You should read the link I posted. It's a much more apples to apple comparison.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    You know what is funny, the same thing can be said about Ben Roethlisberger. Through his first 10 starts Ben had NEVER passed for over 300 yards and had 8 games under 200 yards. His best game was for 231 yards!

I guess you would have cut Ben Roethlisberger after those 10 games! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    There is a joke there somewhere. This reply seems to have been stolen from the Ben's Deep Balls thread.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Ahhhh the good days when pitchers pitched a whole game instead of 6-7 a game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Take a look at Bradshaw's early years. He had more then a few games throwing under 200 yards but different NFL then and those Steeler teams just needed to run it, get enough points for the D to take over.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah

I’m not pumping Mason by any means but any game he started the game plan was for him to manage the game

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1