1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Roquan Smith

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Aug 9, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Fitzpatrick's situation was very different when the Steelers traded for him. He was just two games into his second season, so they had nearly three years of control. Smith is more expensive for this year, and he is an unrestricted free agent after this season.

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Yes but you know they would have sn extention worked out before the trade was official.. you don't trade for a guy who plans on sitting out. But i would be good if that was the case because then the draft pick would be much later

HACK

3. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Steelers are not getting him….. the dog days of summer.

4. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'm not against this idea, but if I wanted an immediate upgrade it would be CB or OT. Perhaps I'm getting optimistic here but I'm feeling better about things. Could be just optimism.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm sure they would need to have an extension work out, but the situations are still very different. Fitzpatrick was going to be on his rookie deal for the rest of that season and two more. Smith's going to be getting paid a lot of money, and he isn't as good of a player.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Unlikely, but not impossible considering we are no longer tied down by a huge QB contract anymore. The Steelers have, or soon will have, more cap flexibility than they've had in a very long time. The question becomes just how ludacris are his contract demands and what would we have to give up.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Smith would be a great add but the Steelers already have the most expensive defence in football and it is going to catch up to them at some point.

Giving up premium draft capital to add another superstar on defence probably isn’t a good idea in the long term, maybe if it was a lockdown CB you might be able to justify it

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I also would try to make it happen, Claypoole, Bush, Gunner and others would need to go to Chicago land.
    You cap guru's will have to figure out how we pay him.

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Thing is, Devin Bush is doing that to himself. Brian Flores has been nothing but exceptional thus far. For that matter, even a 7th Round Rookie is making headlines in Mark Robinson.

Buddy Johnson was one of my favorite picks from a year ago; second only to Najee Harris. I personally am happy to at least hear he has grown greatly since his Rookie outing. That said, by how much greater will be determined on Saturday.

• Like Like x 2
  10. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Looking at it from the Bears side, after 2022 they have the most cap space in the league in the medium term, and they have a bottom 5 roster right now imo. It would be madness to let their best young player leave, and would send a very bad message to the rest of the locker room.

They need to work this out with Smith, his camp may just be frustrated and trying to force the issue. Unless they get an incredible offer (unlikely given the position he plays) I’ve a feeling he will re-sign in Chicago in the coming weeks and all of this trade talk will come to nothing. I can’t see why the Bears wouldn’t want to work this out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    He like Lamar Jackson are their own agent, his advisors better become realistic. Or we may see another Levean Bell situation for this player.
    Always remember it is always about guaranteed money.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Good point and yea that could be a significant part of the issue, the team will presumably always try to lowball and underplay the players importance during negotiations. Any good agent will understand these nuances and will know how to play the game. If Smith (or any player) is doing the negotiating themselves it would be easy for them to take offence to what is said by the team when trying to get a deal agreed.

It’s probably not a great idea to negotiate yourself for a couple of different reasons. The likelihood of getting a bad deal must be high, and it must be a major distraction to players preparation as well.

• Like Like x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Didn't know that.....about being His own agent.

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Mike Webster negotiated his own contracts and was asked if that is hard

He said not really as long as you don’t mind people telling you you aren’t very good

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Wow wouldn't that be a major upgrade to acquire Smith. Unfortunately they are going to ride with Bush this season. I do feel that he will be in a rotation as he is in camp with Spillane. Rumor is he is not progressing as they thought he would. Guess some of us were correct, it's between the ears. The knee BS is over. Guess we will see when the real thing starts on 9/11 against the bungles.

• Like Like x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Some times you have to ride the Bush you have

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I personally like variety :hehehe:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Certainly builds for a long term marriage

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    And in toxic relationships like this one, it typically results in a restraining order.

20. OH Steeler Fan

OH Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2019
    The fact that Bush is in a heated contest with Spillane is all I need to know about expectations from him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    It's disappointing. Flores is elevating everyone but him. Bush just might need a change of scenery or something. Doubtful we could get anything for him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't know this , but maybe they are just doing that with Spillane 2 push Bush...I dang well hope that's what it is.

23. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I wished it was the case. But when everyone between Dulak and Alex Kozora say Bush sticks out for the wrong reasons I just doubt Bush even makes the team. It's unfortunate. I was a huge Bush supporter in the off-season. This is a bummer. Hopefully he comes up big in these preseason games.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Considering he is fully guaranteed it would be surprising to see him cut. I think a platoon is more likely with Spillane in more for run heavy (CLE/BAL). Bush should be better coverage option. Otherwise one of the young guys needs to really step up.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    No thanks.