1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB Battle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 24, 2022.

1. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I'm not even sure that Rudolph is a solid backup. Hell, he might not even be Landry Jones. A solid backup is one you can count on to win a game or two against inferior competition. He was unable to beat the Lions. At home. Only one team scored less pts vs the Lions last year than the Rudolph led Steelers. That does not bespeak to being solid.

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Notice the conversation you jumped into. Another poster was insisting that it was Freiermuth's fault for turning upfield instead of running directly to the sideline. If he had done that, they wouldn't even have gained that one yard.

No, one yard was not worth the risk of completing that past. Yes, Roethlisberger made dumb throws, too, but he also made the incredible plays that are going to get him into the Hall of Fame. Rudolph has all the screw ups without the great moments.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I know little about Mitch but I have a Steeler friend visiting who lives in Chicago

His take first Mitch was taken too high so he was immediately under a microscope

Second the GM and Coach/OC wanted him to play under center behind a horrible OL and stay in the pocket

His thought is this was a recipe for failure

With a better line (not sure ours is better) and an OC that will use him properly he thinks Mitch may be ok

Time will tell

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  4. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I have a hypothesis and if I'm proven wrong, even as early as today I'll delete the post and if anyone calls me out on it I'll call them a liar. Lol j/k

I tend to think that the QB1 battle is ultimately between Mitch and Kenny. If Mason had any shot, he would've been given QB1 reps already. Tomlin and Canada are slowly working Kenny up the depth chart, now he will probably get QB3 reps again before he starts sharing QB1 reps with Mitch. Mason is probably QB2 or traded by Week 1 vs Cincinnati. If Kenny loses the battle with Mitch, he'll drop to QB3 and if Kenny wins, that increases the likelihood of Mitch or Mason being traded. I have no means to test this hypothesis. I could be 100000% wrong. Had a slow night at work and like everything in life I thought too much on this and this is what I came up with. Enjoy your day. As soon as I get home I'm crashing.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    What do I care what Strummers argument is. My point is they needed a yard to get into range and they got it until Muth fumbled. I literally watch ever week teams pick up short yardage to get just a little closer to the kickers comfort zone.

And it is very likely Rudolph was told to go to Muth, he’s sure handed, sideline pass, low percentage of being picked off on that route, Rudolph delivered on the money and Muth blew it. I dont care that there were defenders there, you’ve never seen receivers get skinny and dive forward for a few more yards. Sometimes the receiver needs to make a play, its not college throwing to college open receivers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Beerburgh

Beerburgh Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2022
    I'm 100% behind the guy, but unless he got rid of his happy feet in the pocket, I don't see how in the world we can succeed if he ends up being Q1.

Now if he DID learn to be poised in the pocket, he could be very good IMO.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  7. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It's amazing how many fans were ready to throw him under the bus and run him out of town. Mason did very well in 2019 when he took over as starter up until the brutal knockout against the Ravens. That was far from your average concussion (if there is such a thing as average). It definitely affected him through the rest of that season. Mason kept us in games up until that point on a game manager role and I felt they should have unleashed him early on. Unfortunately for him he was not playing with the full set of resources around him that Ben had the previous season. He then came in and played very well the following year against a good Brown's team and nearly won that game. Only for Ben to come back the following week in the playoffs against the Brown's and practically hand them the game. Last year everyone gave Ben the benefit of the doubt for the porous O-Line. I really don't think the Lion's game would have turned out much different with Ben behind center last year. Our defense got exposed with the run game up the middle during that game. Yes, I'm sure Ben would have played a lot differently, but who knows he may have taken more chances and potentially lost that game for us. Our offense has been tailored to Ben's style and has never been a plug and play. If it wasn't Mason, it would have been another QB coming in to play game manager. I do believe Mason can be a good QB in the NFL. If he doesn't get the chance to stay in Pittsburgh, I hope he finds that success elsewhere. I'll be rooting for him.

• Like Like x 2
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I think the only reason is He's not getting Qb1 reps is because they have seen right away what He can do, and Mitch/Pickett are the ones they haven't seen.
    Of course I could be wrong, but We will have 2 see.
    What I'm afraid of is they don't want 2 look stupid, and Go with Mitch no matter what.
    I hope that's not the case, and they actually go with whomever is playing the best.

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't know if it's correct, or not, but that's how I seen it when watching it.

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    They wanted Him 2 stay in the pocket....because if You watched Him (at least in Chicago) He has a tendency 2 run when He doesn't have 2.
    Most Coaches don't draw up plays for You 2 take off after Your 1st read in the NFL.
    Now of course He may have changed. :shrug:

11. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    As I've said before, they brought Mitch in to compete and to make Mason compete for it as well. To bring a guy in like Mitch and not work him with the #1's would make nose sense. They know what they have in Mason and it would it would be best to see what happens when Mason or Kenny step in with the 1's.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Rewind to 1984 in the post Terry Bradshaw era. Woodley started the season and Malone finished it. Now here we are with the 2022 version of Woodley/Malone called Trubisky/Rudolph. Welcome back to the 80's steelers fans.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers made it to the AFC Championship in 1984. And Steelers were the only team to defeat the Super Bowl Champion 49ers that year. So it wasn't all bad... definitely not a trainwreck season like '99 and '03.

I'll give you 1985-88. Those were some rough years to be a Steelers fan.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    That's what I've been seeing... Mason is playing really well.
    But there is a long way to go.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Rudolph is not winning the starting job. It’s Trubiskis job to lose. He’d have to be playing really awful for them to roll Rudolph out to start the season.

They signed Trubisky immediately after FA started, they have a plan.

Then they went and drafted a QB in the first rd.

None of this would have happened if they thought Mason could be a legit starter.

• Agree Agree x 9
  16. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes. Thank you. The voice of reason.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You jumped into the conversation, so Strummer's argument was absolutely relevant.

They needed a yard to get in range? Seriously? Why? Because that's where the TV crew put the line? That makes no sense whatsoever.

18. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

I would have to disagree but of course, with an explanation.
    Yes, they signed Mitch, but Mitch isn't anything special till he proves as much.
    Now the nitty gritty:
    Mason doesn't really fit this offense, he's kind of like Big Ben Part II. (ok, a watered-down version)
    Mitch and Pickett are better fits.

This is the first real week; I would expect Mason to be hotter at this stage.
    I figure Mitch will catch up as he navigates the curve.
    I figure Pickett will be somewhere just behind him as his curve is a little longer.

Could Mason start? Oh, yes... for sure.
    But he will have to play to near perfection.
    He's had years in this system and had a very good chance to be the starter, but his highlight was a fight with the Browns.
    But if Mitch flounders and does a belly up, it will likely be Mason.

My guess is, they may trade Mason if the other two are coming along, I figure someone would give up a late pick.
    So, I hope he does play well.

Man, there's a lot of moving parts.. lol.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Yes I agree on that the season was successful. But my point was about the QBs they had post bradshaw and drawing some similarities to the current situation.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Jumped into a conversation on a message board :rolleyes:

It’s not relevant at all, you are just trying to deflect because your argument is weak. That you don’t think FG range matters to a kicker is hysterical.

I guess you miss all the times teams run the ball just to get a yard or two closer for a FG try. FFS.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Here’s the play that goes with that:

• Like Like x 1
  22. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I couldn’t disagree more. You’re trying to find your future starting qb you thrownas many darts at the board as possible. Putting all your eggs in one basket is a poor idea

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
  24. OH Steeler Fan

OH Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2019
    The only way Mason will win this job is if Tomlin is ready to accept 13 pts a game.

25. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Another rough day for Mitch