1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB Battle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 24, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That new GM has been with the organization for over 20 years, and there is no doubt he was part of the decision to draft Pickett. Also, Tomlin was definitely a big part of drafting Pickett and I doubt he is going anywhere before the 2023 draft.

The Cardinals had a new coach as well as a new GM, and still, it was still a rare thing to draft a quarterback in the first round in consecutive seasons.

I guess you are one of the people who think Pickett must be a bust because he threw a few interceptions in the first couple of days of training camp.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He’s way past the line of scrimmage, thats the FG line he had to make it to for Boz.

Mason didnt play great but that play wasn’t his fault, Muth holds on and Boz gets a chance to kick the winning FG.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016

No, that was the line of scrimmage. The ball was thrown a bit behind the line. His feet were still behind the line. He was hit at the FG line. It's not like he was right on the sideline, either. Even if Freiermuth had the presence of mind to go sideways instead of turning up field, thus giving up on the play, the defender still might have gotten a hit on him before he got out of bounds. I'm not sure why people insist on defending Rudolph on that one. It was a terrible decision to throw the ball there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

I don't think that's gonna happen too

And for the bold, even if I have doubts about Pitckett, I'll wait to see him play several games before making a final judgment.

5. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Not sure why because the score is meaningless. The vast majority are played without game plans. Starters barely play. Coaches are looking to see if linemen are making and sustaining blocks? Blocking adjustments? Are receivers running the correct routes?Blocking on running plays?Are defenders tackling? The list of things that are important in preseason games is endless, but scoring isn’t one of them. Oh boy or future grocery baggers outscored their future grocery baggers

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Smart

7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Pickett would have to totally bomb for that to happen. Call me an optimist, but I don't see that happening. Plus, it's gonna be 2 or 3 seasons before we know Pickett's status. I have a feeling Steelers will be drafting DE, first round in 2023.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

The blue line is the line of scrimmage. The green line is the fg

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm aware of that. Look where his feet were in relation to the blue line when he caught the ball. They were behind it. He definitely was not well past the line of scrimmage. You are the one saying he should have never turned up field. In that split second that he is concentrating on catching the ball, you expect him to know the defender is in position to make a great play on the ball before he gains more than a yard. By your argument, Rudolph took the risk of throwing a pass that gains absolutely nothing if Freiermuth does what you wanted him to do, giving up on the play and running straight to the sideline without attempting to gain a yard.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    It don't matter that if the pass was past the line of scrimmage or not,because with 0 timeout and 16 seconds left,it was just a horrible decision by Mason to throw at this place.He need to be more agressive and throw on the sideline in this situation

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well....You definitely don't want a int in this situation either.

12. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    i mean, can he beat out Mason Rudolph? the fact that's even a question does not bode well

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    So if Freiermuth is the only viable option there, Rudolph needs to throw the ball out of bounds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Maybe, or maybe He thought He could get a few yards, get out of bounds, and set up a shorter field goal. :shrug:
    I don't know really....because I'm not in His head, or did I hear what the coaches said 2 him before the play, but I do know this.....You can't put the loss squarely on Masons shoulders.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Play works if Muth holds onto the ball. 16 seconds is enough time to run a play and spike the ball.

They got the additional yardage for Boz so Im not sure how that is on anyone other than Muth.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Rudolph actually has a better view than Freiermuth. He has to see that two defenders are going to be in a position to shut down the play very quickly after Freiermuth gets the ball. That is why it was such a bad decision to throw it to him.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The play works in the sense that they gain one yard? Come on.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    The problem with Rudolph is that he love way too much the checkdown,even if this is a 3rd down and 10 or at the end of the game like that.I can live with an interception here and there if it means our offense can be more productive...He had under 5 passing yards attempts against Detroit which is awful and that was a major problem for him in 2019 too

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Scribe, they were trying to get into Boz FG range, they did that. If you don’t like the play fine but then blame Canada and Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They got in range before that play. Canada and Tomlin didn’t force Rudolph to throw a zero-yard pass that put his tight end in a terrible situation.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No they didn’t as the FG range line clearly indicates. You don’t think a yard matters?

And Ben has never thrown those passes. Only incompetent Rudolph would do that.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Finally gave Pickett some 2nd team reps.

• Like Like x 1
  23. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I don't think it's that he loves the checkdown per se as much as his decision making is a beat too slow, so he misses the window to throw the ball and is left no choice but to throw the checkdown. In the NFL you need a strong arm, a quick release or great anticipation, and good accuracy. Or at least two of those three qualities. I don't think he has any of those three.

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well We are in trouble ...because unless Trubisky has dramatically changed since Chicago....He is really slow on his reads, and decision making.

25. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I think we're in trouble regardless of who starts week 1. All the QBs have their short comings. Mason is what he is, a solid backup. Pickett is a rookie (and I personally think all rookie QBs should redshirt their rookie year); which leaves us with Trubinski. Out of our QBs, he's the most proven. News outta Buffalo since the day he signed here was that he isn't the same guy in Chicago. He may just be, I don't know. But at the current moment, first day in pads, he gives us the best chance to win. This may change in the coming weeks before the season starts.

• Like Like x 1