1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Roethlisberger's recent comments

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mytake, Jul 27, 2022.

1. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    https://sports.yahoo.com/ben-roethlisbergers-comments-display-lack-174012201.html

I know some people are saying the writer is a hack, but there is a grain of truth in all of this. IMHO, Roethlisberger needs to keep his mouth shut and enjoy retirement. If he felt like he had something still to prove, he should have tried to sign with another team. At this point he is alienating the fans who loved how he played. He was as big of me guy as any other Steeler, including AB and Le'Veon Bell.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Truth is, Ben was one of those selfish players himself. Selfishness is a part of western culture. Don't see the big deal other than hypocrisy.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    What!!!?? ... Claypool needed to get his little dance in instead of getting to the huddle, no me-first there... Puh-lease!!!

All ya'll Big Ben haters are trippin.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

The pot truly is calling the kettle black here!! :lolol:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

YAAAWWWWNNN

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Was this article ghost written by Le'Veon Bell or Antonio Brown?

Do they wan't to have another national TV interview so they crap on Ben some more?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ben, Colbert was ready to move on because you were basically done at that point. Do you think Belichick would have kept you around as long as Tomlin, Colbert and Rooney did? You played about 2 years too long. Just go and enjoy retirement and spend some quality time with your family. You were a great Steeler but the fork should have been stuck in your butt long before it actually was because you played for an organization that’s extremely loyal to a fault and has a habit of hanging onto star players about 2 years too long.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    If what I said makes me a Ben hater, the so-be-it. I mean, shoot... I'm selfish and has no problems with admitting it. If I wasn't selfish, I'd be dead.

9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    There are no direct quotes from Ben in this article. Just some yahoo giving his opinion on what Ben said.

I have to hear what Ben actually said before I pass judgement.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Complete self-serving BS. By calling his teammates selfish he absolves himself of responsibility.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Typical Ben R. comment as he has made thruout his Steeler career.
    There are two types of people in this world givers and takers. He has always been a taker.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah some people costly fall for this crap hook line and sinker.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Here is what Ben said. It's really no different than things most of us have written on here. No way did Ben have any ill intent.

“I feel like the game has changed. I feel like the people have changed in a sense. Maybe it’s because I got spoiled when I came in. The team was so important. It was all about the team. Now, it’s about me and this, that and the other.

“I might be standing on a soapbox a little bit, but that’s my biggest takeaway from when I started to the end. It turned from a team-first to a me-type attitude. It was hard. It’s hard for these young guys, too. Social media. They’re treated so well in college. Now, this new NIL stuff, which is unbelievable. They’re treated so special. They’re coddled at a young age because college coaches need them to win, too. I know coach [Terry] Hoeppner never coddled me [at Miami of Ohio]. Neither did [Bill] Cowher.”

Roethlisberger said he is at peace with his retirement, although he didn’t feel a lot of love from management before his final season last year.

“It was mostly Kevin [Colbert]. He was ready to move on. I think Mike [Tomlin] was a little ready to move on, but I think he was OK with me coming back. I think Mr. [Art] Rooney really wanted me to come back last year to play. …

“I thought I went out on my terms. I never wanted to stay too long. I know some people might think I did. ‘You stayed last year.’ But I thought I played pretty well last year, to be honest. My arm feels like I still could go out and play. I’m pretty confident I could still play. But it’s every day. It’s mental. Not having to prepare for camp and the season has been the biggest blessing for me. I’m fine with where I’m at with everything.”

Roethlisberger said he will watch the Steelers games this season, preferably from his couch.

“But the boys already have said to me, ‘Dad, we’re going to every game, right?’ I’m thinking that’s one battle I might lose.”

Roethlisberger is glad his kids were old enough to see and remember his final game at Heinz Field. Ben Jr. is 9, Baylee, 8, and Bodie, 6. He is looking forward to having them and wife, Ashley, with him when he is inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

“I did it for a long time,” Roethlisberger said of his career. “I know doing it for a long time doesn’t mean that you get in, but, again, you look at the wins and losses. I think I did it at a high enough level for a long enough time that I think it would be pretty cool to get in. It is a special thing. That is one special place and a special accomplishment.”

Roethlisberger’s first year of Hall of Fame eligibility is 2027. That will get here soon enough. In the meantime, his schedule is pretty full.

“I’m off to get the boys at golf,” he said, sounding very much like a man who can’t wait to see what the rest of the day brings.

Ron Cook: rcook@post-gazette.com and Twitter@RonCookPG. Ron Cook can be heard on the “Cook and Joe” show weekdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on 93.7 The Fan.

First Published July 22, 2022, 5:00am

RELATED

[​IMG]
    Brian Batko
    Who has the edge? Analysts break down Mitch Trubisky-Kenny Pickett training camp battle

[​IMG]
    Brian Batko
    Return to camp in Latrobe means new generation of Steelers must find joy in misery

[​IMG]
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Steelers legend Ben Roethlisberger to throw out first pitch at Pirates ‘Yinzerpalooza’ game

[​IMG]
    Ray Fittipaldo
    Training camp preview: Teryl Austin and Brian Flores part of new power structure in a changing Steelers defense

[​IMG]
    Ray Fittipaldo
    Training camp preview: Steelers banking on less being more for Najee Harris this season

[​IMG]
    Gerry Dulac
    Training camp preview: Matt Canada gets first crack at running a post-Ben Roethlisberger Steelers offense

SHOW COMMENTS (113)

MUST READ
    SPORTS
    Joe Starkey: Art Rooney II did Steelers fans right on Roethlisberger

BUSINESS
    Night moves: After-hours woes drive Point Park to close off Downtown playhouse public spaces

A&E
    Is Rage Against the Machine still relevant?

ADVERTISEMENT

TRENDING

SPORTS
    Cam Heyward 'upset' by Ben Roethlisberger's comments on modern-day Steelers

SPORTS
    Steelers practice blog: Rookie receivers George Pickens and Calvin Austin III show off

SPORTS
    Cam Heyward fires back at Roethlisberger's criticism of former teammates

SPORTS
    Steelers QB Mitch Trubisky leads first-team offense on first day of training camp practices

SPORTS
    Joe Starkey: Art Rooney II did Steelers fans right on Roethlisberger

• Like Like x 1
  15. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    someone speaks the truth and that makes them a hater? As was pointed out in the article ben has never known when to stfu. Some of His actions and words over the years have definitely been me first. He was a great qb for the franchise, but that doesn’t make him a saint.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Did you read the article? Did you actually see any individuals called selfish. Read it, Helps when posting.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Ben should just ride off and get on with his Life's Work whatever that is instead of crying about other players, how Colbert and Tomlin really didn't want to bring him back (and a lot of posters here) and saying he could still play. The Drama Queen is still alive and well.

I more then appreciate his efforts of being a large part in 2 more Lombardi's but his petulant child rants are nauseating.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Well the Steelers when Ben stepped in was very team oriented. Bettis, Ward, Heath Miller, Faneca and the entire oline. The entire defense lived and breathed Lebeau style which basically allowed the most skilled position on the field Polamalu roam around and make big plays.

I think that was unusual though to the league so I agree he was spoiled a bit coming in. He had an amazing team built around him already with high character guys.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    agreed 100%. Had he put in the work with his talent he could have won more super bowls. He is a first ballot hall of famer with zero control of his mouth. This has the potential of going the way the Bradshaw Pittsburgh rift went. I hope not to see that here.

20. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Not a direct quote, but consistent with what Ben actually said.
    From the article linked by the OP:
    Roethlisberger implied that of the Tomlin-Colbert-Art Rooney II braintrust, Colbert was the one readiest to move on at quarterback after the 2020 season, that Tomlin was “a little ready” to move on, and that Rooney was the reason he was brought back.

What Ben actually said (from the PG article by Ron Cook):
    “It was mostly Kevin [Colbert]. He was ready to move on. I think Mike [Tomlin] was a little ready to move on, but I think he was OK with me coming back. I think Mr. [Art] Rooney really wanted me to come back last year to play…”

If this is the case, thank goodness for Kevin Colbert! Apparently he was the voice of reason in the room. I hope Khan can be that as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Meh, if he wants to complain, so be it. It didn't change my views on him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Mine either. I’ve always thought he was a great quarterback and a petulant, thin-skinned person. At one time he was a terrible person and a raging narcissist. But I think re-engaging with his faith, getting married and having kids have gone a long way toward making him a better man.

• Like Like x 2
  23. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    People seem to forget both Batch and Ward called him out publicly for basically being an ******* and poor leader/teammate. He was a great qb for us, but hardly beyond reproach

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanks for posting this. Absolutely nothing bad or malicious in what Ben said. The original article in the OP link is just fishing for hits or something, or trying to make something out of nothing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

Now walking his comments back because his former teammates have gotten the wrong impression from his statement. Gee Ben I don't understand how anyone could possibly misconstrue a statement about everyone being me first instead of team first.