1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Diontae Johnson is Having a Great Career.........And You Guys are Missing it!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Jun 30, 2022.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    First, I will admit that I am a DJ fan-boy big time. I believe he is the next big thing here. I believe with Najee we are back to having the biggest 1-2 punch in the NFL as we had with AB and Bell. Hopefully Tomlin learned something from his days with AB and Bell on how to handle two Superstars competing for attention.

Falling down what depth chart? There is DJ as the #1 WR, and then there is everyone else competing to be his side kick this year! Pickens is all potential right now to me.

The Rooney's have the Cap space this year to make him happy, if it is not a multi-year extension how about a 1 year "2022" deal for an extra $10 million to get him to play this year? What other plans do they have with all that extra cap space, other than to try to put as much of it in their back pocket as they can?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    You are not being a DJ fanboy. I am not either. It is reality. Claypool's play has been well below the line for a season and a half now. The other two guys are rookies. DJ couldn't fall down the depth chart if he fell off a building.

I agree with what you said about DJ and Najee being a 1 - 2 punch similar to Bell and AB. The difference is Bell and Brown had superior talent. Najee and DJ have superior attitudes. Personally I will take the later because the dip in talent is not significant.

Imagine a team in 2023 with DJ in his 4th year, Pickett starting at QB, Najee and Muth in their 3rd year, and Pickens in year 2. These guys have a chance to be an explosive offense down the road if the Steelers stay the course.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    It isn't a matter of trade value. Even if someone gave the Steelers a 1st round draft pick for DJ, they wouldn't do it. Trading DJ at any price would completely and totally handcuff the Steelers for the 2022 season. Claypool is a HUGE question mark. The other two guys are rookies. It would be beyond dumb for the Steelers to transition to Trubisky/Pickett at quarterback, and at the same time get rid of their only established receiver.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    They also had a HOF Qb.
    Which neither has (as far as We know) right now.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    @TuRnDoWnForWaTT

To answer your question from a page or two ago... If he has another quality season I absolutely resign him in March or April, before FA starts. Perhaps his value will be much higher, then so be it. The rates are going to only continue to skyrocket.

I don't think he's awful by any stretch. I think people are too harsh on him for the drops, but his drops are magnified because of the situations they occur.

I still think WRs are the most overvalued position in football. You can always find a quality WR in the 2nd or 3rd. The development from as early as U14 is crazy these days. Kids are doing 7v7 tournaments as early as 7th grade these days.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    That all sounds good but Pickett is far from a guarantee of even being a capable starter in the NFL

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Negative Nancy I think your an imposter Steeler fan.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    More like a realistic Steelers fan but yes carry on….

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    re·al·is·tic
    /ˌrēəˈlistik/

adjective
    1. Your opinion is dumb only my opinion is correct

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I have a question.

When was the last time a team made it to the Conference Championship game without a Pro Bowl WR?

I was going to say Super Bowl, but I wanted to open it up a little more so went with AFC / NFC Championship games.

I did confirm that for the 2021 and 2020 season, that all 8 teams had a Pro Bowl receiver on their team.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  11. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    people need to stop associating the word delusional with fans then

12. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

This is a bit of chicken-egg thing. Teams that make Conf Champ games tend to have lots of Pro Bowlers. In a passing league, conf champ teams will have big passing numbers. So the best Wr on a conf champ team is likely to make the Pro Bowl. Especially since they take 5-8 WR for a Pro Bowl squad. Conversely, a great WR on a lousy team, Calvin Johnson in Det, or DeAndre Hopkins in AZ are also going to the Pro Bowl.

I tend to think Pro Bowl QB make Conf Champion teams, but Conf Champion teams make a lot of Pro Bowl WRs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    We don’t actually do that now

But thank you for trying

14. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    There is people who do. This board isn't the only place in the world. I was speaking generally.

• Like Like x 1
  15. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    In a vacuum, he is worth the money but, the money being thrown around in sports disgusts me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Around here when they say they are a "realist" Thats just a fancy way of saying pessimist.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    i want to see DJ come up with clutch plays down the stretch of games (big plays in playoff games would be nice) before i give him props. Right now i see him as a mistake prone, poor route running stat padder

19. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Douche must be a fancy way of saying Glenn

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  20. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  21. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Not saying DK is wrong. But let's give it a couple of days before we acknowledge this as a hold in. It could be that DJ is nursing an injury and the coaches decided to hold him back.

22. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    could be but

• Like Like x 1
  23. OH Steeler Fan

OH Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2019
    If DJ isn't going to practice, then he shouldn't even be allowed at practice. He is under contract, so either show up or stay home and be fined.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Wait, who are you talking about? DJ or DK Metcalf? Would you have said the same thing to TJ Watt last year?

And people said I was crazy for saying DJ was going to do a TJ Watt Holdout this year.

25. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    It’s a tough situation. With TJ and Minka there was no more to see as they are arguably the best at what they do and at that time of their contracts to pay em. DJ, still has plenty of time on his contract and you can’t blame the Steelers for wanting to see how he does a year into a season w/o a HOF QB.
    It’s tough. I don’t see them paying him just yet and a hold “in” from practice right now is the wrong time. I think most even here agree with a wait n see approach. Also, not fully practicing can have a domino affect on his/our season with his performance and with management. Timing is everything and a hold in right now is the wrong time in his career and contract.

Tell ya, I don’t like the timing, I don’t think they do, and if he becomes a problem I can see where they mentally tap out. By drafting two more stud receivers have they already done so?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1