1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

run defense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Jul 24, 2022.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we have been over the d-line and blamed them and the linebackers for the lagging run defense and in many cases rightfully so. one thing we haven't touched on is mike hilton being gone as the slot corner and how much he helped the run defense. we have had to increase the safeties ability to help in run support. but just that one position which we have been trying to fill that spot has never come back to his level of play. have we filled this spot to a level enough to help? looks like sutton will be one slot corner. how much will he help? who get's the nod when they go four wide? Kazee? pierre? <not really a slot corner. layne? < not really a slot corner. norwood? < again not really a slot corner. maulet? < didn't do very good at this spot last year. does our UDFA make this squad?

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/07/u...mike-hilton-ahead-of-first-nfl-training-camp/

is this a spot we pick up someone for? we have a lot of safeties currently. do we use them in run defense? kazee, killebrew, norwood, stiner, edmunds, joseph, maulet and essentially allen too. i do believe we have never filled the hilton spot enough to shore up his help against the run from that position against the run. has this been our downfall in that area or at least contributed to it? :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    No worries, they resigned Edmonds :facepalm:

Not easy to replace someone like Hilton. They could have signed him what he got from the bungles. Mistake letting him walk.

Lets see how the fashion plate fares without the injury excuse which was really between the ears. I wouldn't bet a ham sandwich on him. I hope i'm wrong.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I saw Brian Baldinger on the NFL Network the other day saying that the Steelers really didn't address their terrible run defense in the off season. He said picking up Myles Jack should help some but it all starts up front and he's not so sure we did anything to significantly help on the defensive line.
    Baldinger also said that Minkah can't survive leading the team in tackles by a mile again this year. When the first contact the RB makes is with the free safety then you have major problems.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    so many IF's to our defense. if at full strength and playing at a level they have shown in the past at times, they should be very good. that's IF they are playing at full strength and at that top level.

we have never found a hilton replacement nor have we replaced shazier. they made this run defense better of course. it will be interesting to watch how these players respond.

bush wasn't the answer but..... can he improve? can jack step it up and help? i think but he has had some up and down play over his career.

sutton is better in the slot. he actually helps us playing there instead of outside.

the d-line i am not as worried about. we have good depth there as well.

inside LB is a concern still unless we see a big comeback.

i think safety has a ton of potential but so many players that we can't get them all on the field or can we? they seem to be all pretty good against the run but do they hinder the pass too much? finding that equality from the strong safety position will be something to watch. consistency will be key. injuries will be key.

this camp should be fun to watch as to who is going to step up to be the man at a number of positions on this defense. another thing is how they are used with butler gone finally. who is used and how they are used will be key. :cool:

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think we will be just fine if Alula stays healthy and Bush plays adequate.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    A lofty goal

• Like Like x 1
  7. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Alualu and Adams coming back, Loudermilk entering his second year after a solid rookie season, Wormley improving, drafting Leal and signing Ogunjobi. I think we are pretty solid with our D-line.

• Like Like x 2
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Baring injury as always

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I think it's spot on. Yes the d line injuries and ilb failures were obvious, but Hiltons role and play certainly were missed. He could defend the pass, plug the hole long enough to help stop the run and blitzed very well.

• Like Like x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I believe it's a bit of everything.
    I've said before that We have had trouble stopping the run for years with any team that stayed close enough, and stuck with it.
    Last year was just the worst of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If I was running the team,Bush would be on short leash!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Sutton is a better coverage man than he is run defender.... The run defense will come down to NT rotation and Bush's rebound...... If they have to bring Minkah up towards the line again, then something has gone horribly wrong

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Eerily familiar hahahaha we should be okay from the sideline platoon

14. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'm really not convinced that Alualu is going to be fine. I hope I'm wrong. But a lot here is dependent on him returning to form, as well as guys like Ogunjobi playing to their potential. I just hope that Loudermilk continues his growth and players like Leal end up contributing. The front 3 remaining healthy and having a quality rotation is going to help Bush and Jack clean things up. There's too many unknowns going into camp to say that the run defense will be much better; however, I'm doubtful that it'll be worse. Going from 32 to 16 would be a significant improvement. But would having an average run defense be "good enough?"

• Like Like x 1
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i think we need more from all the LB'ers. yes including TJ on run defense. without a guy like hilton it becomes even more important for these outside guys to set that edge. sutton has to get better as well and the inside backers need to get to the ball. the steelers have always had good corners to support the run. that has been lacking lately. our OLB'ers have also done more in the past.

schobert at least had 112 tackles. 2nd on the team last year. we don't have those anymore. bush only having 70 is terrible. heck spillane had 56 on the year, playing part time. schobert was also part time and did what he did.

TJ with 64 and highsmith with 70 need to pick up that pace. without the sacks TJ only has 41.5 tackles. for as good as he is rushing the passer, we need more run support from him.

not all their fault either. that sub package BS that butler loved so much has to be used sparingly. TJ and highsmith are not 4-3 DE's and essentially that's what they were used as. if that's the case then bush needs more than 70 tackles. you wonder why they weren't as good last year? there is your answer. we can't put all the blame on the D-Line because we only had two guys on the field usually. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Never found a Hilton replacement? We never found a Hampton replacement.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    well with butler here, he would only play about 8 plays a game. if that. :cool:

18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Damontee Kazee should be the player to man the slot. If not him, hopefully Tre Norwood can. It will be between those two for I am also in the opinion of Sutton being better in coverage than in run defense. Not saying he lacks physicality but his run defensive capabilities pale in comparison to the other two.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we played very well when sutton took over slot duties. :cool:

20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Fair enough.

I still would rather have Kazee man that role unless the team intends to have both and swap responsibilities depending on the assignments based on personnel. Anything to assist the team in getting back to stopping the run I am with 100%.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Just if you are wondering Edmunds has 235 solo tackles through his first 4 years with 340 combined. Be curious to see where that would rank him all time vs Steeler greats for their first 4 years?
    Troy Polamalu had 228 solo tackles with 304 combined.

Watch Out, if Edmunds keeps signing these 1 year deals his numbers may begin to add up to something. :)

Sorry, Just having a little fun with all the Edmunds Hate that is always flying around on this board.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
  22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

What I personally find intriguing is how some believe it to be simple as to break up a tandem of safeties, find that players replacement and expect the same chemistry between two different players. Minkah had already alluded to this earlier in the offseason; chemistry is a crucial component in having a safety tandem; camaraderie being the other. Furthermore, anyone expecting Terrell Edmunds to be the next Troy was kidding themselves to begin with.

While I personally wanted Terrell to develop his ball skills, it is likely that he is maxed out in terms of what he can and cannot do for that skill alone. However, if there is one aspect that he has been very good at, run support as been his calling card for a very long time. His coverage against Tight Ends has gotten better and better year in, year out as well. Now again, the production in terms of interceptions (a very toxic stat anyhow) and forced fumbles (fair enough on this) have not been the best but it is not as if Terrell has been horrible.

Overall, Terrell is the Yin to Minkah's Yang; much of the same with Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu. Ryan Clark is Terrell's superior at this point but to say Terrell's value is minimal on the defense is selling him quite short. For that matter, if there is one major plus to Terrell, his availability is by far his greatest asset; something that even his 2018 Classmate in Derwin James cannot contend with. Yes, Derwin is the far superior player but he also carries the far greater risk of not being available.

• Like Like x 1
  23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    They let Edmonds test free agency. They did not think he was worth the 5th year option. Everyone was knocking down the door to sign him :lolol:
    He crawled back to the Steelers.

Don't get me wrong, I hope he balls out. But the reality is he is just not that good.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Fans keep saying that they could've re-signed Hilton, the league reduced the cap by 16 million last year coming off of Covid, they weren't going to give Hilton 6 million a year with him mot being a full-time starter.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Sometimes you lead in tackles because you make tackles for nice gains by the other team

They target you

How many of his tackles are for a loss or no gain

Troy made these plays

Many years back very shortly after the season ended the Steelers cut their leading tackler

Random thought

• Winner Winner x 1