1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Going to training camp for the first time

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by niterider, Jul 15, 2022.

1. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Hey all. I'm taking my 5 yr old son to watch the boys practice on Aug 4th. I know players take the field at 2, but how long does it usually last? Is there anything special I need to bring with me?

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Considering the heat, some high quality H2O.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I'm not sure what the new set up is post covid but after practice the players walk back to the dorms along a rope line. Take your son over there to get autographs. Some of the players will take their gloves and wrist bands off and toss them to the kids but again that was pre-covid.

• Like Like x 2
  4. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I've been once, and we're going again on the 27th.

If I remember, the actual practice lasts about 2 hours. But there are lots of other activities, games, food places, and things to stay occupied before and after the practice. Plus, they'll come out and sign autographs for awhile, too.

I'd highly recommend sunscreen unless it's cloudy. And lots of water. And take camp chairs or something depending on where you want to sit. There are bleachers, but a lot of people like to put blankets or camp chairs in the grass.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    About 2 hours , make sure to hydrate and bring sun tan lotion. Very few shady spots at Latrobe. Have fun and bring your binoculars.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Floppy hat. Sunscreen. Lotsa water. Credit card to buy stuff (don’t know if cash will be accepted due to The Cove). I think that locker placards from your favorite player are a reasonably priced thing. I have. B.J. Finney placard that I put magnets on, and mounted it on my dryer.
    Be sure to let the kids lift a real helmet so they can see how heavy it is!
    All wear the same brightly colored matching shirt-so if you get lost the kids can find you!
    Have lots of fun!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It lasts about 2 1/2 hours. It will be HOT. There is a huge hill of grass where most people sit (actually several areas) so I would take a blanket. And cash for the popsicles that you will undoubtedly want/need. If you want to mess with it, binoculars are fun to have too. Its a super cool experience! I will be there on the 6th.

• Like Like x 3
  8. decalbomb777

decalbomb777 Active Member

Jan 15, 2019
    Find the shady spots ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    a good camera! Make sure you get high resolution photos of all the cheerleaders

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Here's a picture I took of all the Steelers cheerleaders at the last training camp I attended.

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Here's another view through my 3000mm lens from CA......
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Have fun everybody that is going, you will love it. I have for over 20 years. Be safe!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Does that mean that like the stars, the light from Pittsburgh from 60 years ago is just now reaching the lens in CA? It would explain the picture.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  14. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I would love to get back to Latrobe for camp. I went to two as a kid when Noll was still coach. Then I went to two in the 90s when Cowher was here.

My last one was back in 1995. I got to sit on the practice field in the Giant Eagle tent. I got to meet Coach Cowher and Myron Cope. The tent was all you can eat and drink. Then after practice we got to eat with the players in the cafeteria. It was sectioned off, so the fans couldn't sit directly with the players. So we sat as close as we could to the rope and I ended up eating right next to Rod Woodson.

Absolutely awesome experience. I have no idea why I ended up never making it back. I always planned to.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    That new telescope has discovered untold numbers of galaxies. Your lens discovered steeler cheerleaders that the team never officially acknowledged. Now we know why. Lol..ok Jk ..kind of

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  16. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I like St Vincents.
    The Steelers camp is one of the better ones
    I've been to a lot through my career but mostly in Frostburg with Washington, the good bit of that is that it isn't hard to hit St. Vincents from there.
    If you go early, you should get a book full of autographs.
    The action is good, and it really depends on how you position yourself, you can see as good as you want.
    I also like the way they run it.... good execution.
    It will be hot so I would imagine they will keep an eye on that. But yes, ~2hours.
    Enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  17. black hat

black hat Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    It's cool you're taking your son. My son and I started to attend training camp together when he was eight. He's thirty now. The only season we missed was 2020 when camp was not open to the public. It's been a great tradition. We'll be there again August 1.

• Like Like x 3
  18. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It is a great tradition! My daughter goes every year. I would say we started going about ten years ago. She will be 30 next year. We look forward to it every single year.

• Like Like x 2
  19. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Just call me JWST Jr. :cool:

20. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    yes, and the fact of flat earth.