1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

So We Should Make the Playoffs Easily???

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by S.T.D, Jul 3, 2022.

1. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Read what the comment said. The comment said the Ravens run a run first offense. Hollywood said lamar can run ANY offense. Just cause Hollywood feels that lamar could run any style doesn't mean the Ravens are going to now say forgot the run let's throw it like other teams do. That's what Hollywood didn't like. Lamar doesn't call all the plays.

2. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    You just gave an example where you factored in how many INTs were thrown by players with comparable number of pass attempts. That sounds a lot like INT %.

Rodgers INT % is much better than all of those other QBs.
    Using him isn't a good example of why total INTs is better than INT %, because he is great with either metric.

Earlier I mentioned the 2018 season, so let's follow through on that.
    You can explain why you think "total INTs" is a better metric than "INT %".
    (If you want to use INTs per game started, then congratulations... you aren't using total INTs anymore.)

Total INTs: Ben 16, Winston 14, Trubisky 12, Allen 12, Mullers 10
    INT %: Allen 3.8, Winston 3.6, Mullers 3.6, Trubisky 2.8, Ben 2.4

Or look at last season.
    Jackson had 13 INTs. Mahomes and Mayfield also had 13, Brady had 12.
    Based on total INTs, you would rate them similarly.

What would happen if you used INT % ? Is the picture better or worse than total INTs?
    Jackson 3.4, Mayfield 3.1, Mahomes 2.0, Brady 1.7

• Like Like x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes I had forgotten how he took a team with a non winning season didn’t make the playoffs and clearly underachieved and in 2 years turned them into Super Bowl champions

He should have got coach of the year for that

:thumbs_up:

4. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    No I used people with comparable pass attempts because your argument eas int% was better because others may throw more thus throw more ints. So I gave an example of Rodgers throwing more or the same as others while throwing far less ints thus debunking your narrative if it being "unfair" to use total ints.

It's worse if you use int%. And I would Rate them similarly on ints thrown. yes I would.

5. MeanJoeBlue

Jan 2, 2013
    If you go only by total INTs, Rodgers had more than: Winston, Love, Rosen, Geno Smith, Rudolph, Trubisky, etc.
    Rodgers had a lower INT %. He had a higher total INT, due to him throwing more than the others.

Rodgers as an example doesn't debunk anything, because you get the same answer with either metric (very low risk of INTs when he is the QB).
    A good example to support or debunk is where the answers are different, depending on which number is being used.

Mahomes and Mayfield had the same number of total INTs last year.
    You've said that you'd rate them similarly (by total INTs).
    I'd say that Mayfield is considerably worse off, since he is throwing 50% more INTs per pass attempt than Mahomes.

I should stop arguing, since we have very different viewpoints.

• Like Like x 1
  6. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Rodgers had more then them when? And again you said total ints was unfair because a guy could throw more thus having more total ints than someone who didn't throw as much. I'm strictly talking about how throwing more doesn't equate to more ints.

And I'd say Mayfield was worse for other reasons. Not because he had a higher interception percentage.

7. MeanJoeBlue

Jan 2, 2013
    For the first part with Rodgers, does it matter?
    I was referring to last year, since it was the most obvious.
    In 2020, Rodgers had more total INTs than: Prescott, Flacco, Griffin III, Rudolph, and Mariota.
    In 2019, Rodgers had the same total INTs as Jeff Driskel and Brian Hoyer, and more than Barkley, Bridgewater, Mariota, and Foles.
    (In all those cases Rodgers had a much better INT %, but also a lot more pass attempts.)

For the middle part, you said "throwing more doesn't equate to more ints".
    Let's take a very basic example.
    You have two QBs of similar skill, both who on average throw one INT a game.
    One plays 5 games. The other plays 10 games.
    Based on total INTs, you wouldn't think they have the same risk of turning the ball over.

(That is all I am saying.
    I am not arguing that more pass attempts will inherently increase the INT %.
    But it does provide more opportunities to throw an INT.)

For the last part, you are changing what was being discussed.
    I was focussing on the risk of turning the ball over, not if they were better or worse as a QB in general.
    I would argue that, aside from the other reasons he is worse, Mayfield is more likely to turn the ball over. You have said that based on total INTs, you don't agree.

(Last time I said I should stop arguing. This time I will.)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Andy Reid is considered to be a top 3 HC and he only has won one Super Bowl, there isn't another active HC besides Belichick with more than one Super Bowl win :shrug:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Lamar's style of play won't win in the playoffs IMO.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Why are you in 2020 comparing Rodgers numbers to backups or guys like dak who got hurt in lioe game 4? Compare him to other starters. Obviously he would most likely have more than backups cause they barely play lol.

Why do you keep talking about averages with ints? I told you it's about total ints for me and from what I've seen a good number of the nfl world. Not average interceptions or percent of ints thrown.

If you want to take about because they had comparable ints that they were comparable in the that department then yes they were. So ok both are liable to throw the same amount of picks. What does that prove?

11. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    We'll see.

12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As with the Steelers, Ravens would be wise to use running game. They have shown in the past
    if they stay with the RB's run game, they can be very effective. Same for Steelers when the Bus
    was here. GO STEELERS!

• Like Like x 1
  13. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    no playoffs this year. Ben was a scapegoat. This is a non-playoff season.

Defense has holes in the secondary. Unless this is Steelers D, circa, 2005 - then no playoffs.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    yes, we will see.

they have not gotten past the Divisional Round, w Lamar. About as good as us the past 10 years, LOL.

that said - let's see with Lamar another year or two.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I am not sure people are debating that - the question is whether we make the playoffs. I say no. Division is MUCH tougher, we are 8-9 or 9-8 this year. maybe worse, hope not....

16. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    our offense will be middle to bottom of the pack. We are not prepared to be anywhere near worst to first. No way, no how. OLINE will still be an ongoing problem. Maybe by 2023, they come together, we will see..
    this team lacks COACHING - but that has been the case for years.

17. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I mean he's only starting what year 5? Not saying lamar is as good as him, but it took Peyton 6 years to go past the divisional round. So it's still to early to judge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I think it will take either Pickett balling right away or trubisky playing out of his mind for them to make the playoffs. There's too many good qbs in the afc. Hell look at the division. Steelers have by far the worst qb whomever you name as the starter in the afc north.

19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Unless the Ravens somehow can turn themselves into the literal buzzsaw that was the 1972 Miami Dolphins, that is not happening ever. Heck, even if the Ravens could, their chances of beating teams like Buffalo, Cincy, Kansas City and Los Angeles (assuming they make the playoffs this season), are very slim as efficiency and proficiency of throwing the football is what will carry a team throughout the NFL Playoffs and never mind being in the Super Bowl.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    agreed. and too young and unproven an offense to make any waves....for this year, anyhow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    The Ravens will be one of the top 5 Teams in the AFC this year. Whether they advance far in the playoffs, we will see. that is a heck of lot better than our garbage the past 5 season. and we really have very little to show in the AFC ourselves, since 2010. We never could get past Brady and lord know Mahomes owns us. We are treading water at this point. Mahomes will be to Lamar what TB12 was to Ben. that does not make Lamar a loser, unless you think Ben was one. Lamar does need to throw. Until they make the SB w.o him throwing, then we will all debate that as well!!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

The Ravens being a top 5 team is not what was in question. Whether or not Lamar can progress more to throw the football with anticipation and accuracy is. For that matter, notice how I stated both Baltimore and the NFL Playoffs in the same statement. Anything less would be a letdown for Baltimroe but a massive disappointment for Lamars future financial interests.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LOL - and he was regarded as a CHOKER until Mahomes took over....

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    that....and they WON ALOT that year!

Ben never won MVP

25. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

wrong. If meaningful, you just mean a SB - OK, maybe. They / he will make it one of these years. Playoffs 3 or 4 years with him, not bad. They will be tough this year. He is pretty good. Very good at times. not great - b/c he is not a good passer.