1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Open roster spot

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Jul 14, 2022.

1. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Its a tough tightrope to walk for DJ. He is way better off sucking it up and playing. Do I think he has leverage? Sure. He is laughably better than any other WR on our roster (not including rookies here because they are unknowns). At the moment he is a top 15 WR in the league. However, if he holds out he could hurt his production in a contract year and we all know that goes bad more often than not. It also creates a "selfish" narrative for no reason and missing time only hurts his cause (see LeVeon Bell). His best bet is just to reproduce last season or improve on it and then start collecting 22+million a year. This is a year to be locked in, not running your mouth.

If he balls out and we franchise him.... I could see him hold out and threaten to not play (and I could understand that position). I just don't see it this year. Too much money on the line for him.

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    But We don't know actually who's good enough 2 keep

3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Next man up

As always

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly. Wr is probably the easiest players 2 find....as long as Your Qb is decent.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am for whatever keeps us out of those 2 Man defensive fronts we ran last year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Heyward
    Ogunjobi
    Alalu
    Loudermilk
    Leal
    Wormley
    Adams

7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Heyward while great is getting up there.
    Ogunjobi may, or may not even play, or still be good.
    Alalu same as above.
    Loudermilk maybe good.
    Leal =???
    Wormley = OK
    Adams = :shrug:

8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I should have saw that answer coming....

I guess the Standard is the Standard with you. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

that should be one of the best groups in the NFL this year. not only that but this group should help our young O-Line get better just by going against them in practice every day. win win. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What's the difference between a 10 yard completion to DJ and a 10 yard completion to Friermuth, Gentry, Harris, Watt, Heyward, Claypool, Boykin, rookie wr's?

Answer: Nothing is different but a 10 yard completion to them costs a whole heck of a lot less than one to DJ eventually.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes

You should have

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    The fact that DJ can do it a 10 times a game against the Best CB's in the NFL and these guys just a couple times?

13. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    1st I'm not against paying DJ a reasonable rate for a mid tier wr for his 2nd contract but as was pointed out to you he has no leverage. There is about as much evidence to resign him as there was Juju two years ago.

2nd who are these top CB's you speak of? Don't make a blanket statement about performance without numbers to back your assertions.

3rd the comeback of he can do it ten times a game against the best CB's in the game while everyone else I mentioned just a couple of times is laughable. There are at least 8 other eligible receivers on the team currently counting the various position groups positions if each of them makes two 10 yard completions a game that's 160 yards vs the 100 for DJ based on your estimate. 160 yards at almost 25 million cheaper.

4th: We gave seen your model fail already so why duplicate it. The had arguably the best wr in the game during an 8 year period. The best and most productive who had chemistry with his QB that approached Jerry Rice/Joe Montana level. He was paid and paid well. They had a top 5 running back. I veteran QB with two Superbowl wins in 3 tries to his name. A veteran OL and a almost dominating defense. What did it get them beside personal stats? 0 titles won! ZERO! NONE! ZIPPO! NADDA! NOTHING!

So yeah the plan for if DJ is hurt or sits out and no true number 1 receiver. Get the ball to the guys who can make a 10 yard completion and move the sticks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I don't have to name them. Every team we played last year used their top CB to guard DJ. This is what happens to the best WR on any team.

This is what caused JuJu to fail miserably when he lost Brown as his #1 WR. JuJu had no answer going one on one with the top CBs in the league. I am curious to see what they do this year in KC with JuJu now that they have lost their #1 WR.

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I very much hope You are correct :thumbs_up:

16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Really that's not fair 2 JuJu.
    1st He goes without Ben...., and then if You look....the 1st year Ben comes back the ball is pretty evenly distributed, and then He gets hurt.
    So....:shrug:

17. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    So basically you are claiming that every team the Steelers played just happened to have a top tier CB who was made to look foolish by DJ to the tune of ten catches for 100 yards and yet you can't name any of them. We are only talking about a dozen players surely you can name one who got toasted all day long. Should be very memorable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Also it doesn't help your claim any when one of Juju's best games as a pro was when Brown missed the game due to injury. After the self destruction of Antonio Brown we saw how unimaginative Fichtner was and possibly Canada as well. JuJu did what he could. DJ might face the same issue this season too.

• Like Like x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Back to the open roster spot, a cut and paste:

The USFL season is over, but a number of players from the rebooted league are busy trying to find their way onto an NFL roster.

The Pittsburgh Steelers in particular worked out five defensive linemen who played in the USFL this spring, according to ESPN's Field Yates.

Yates said that defensive tackles Doug Costin, Domenique Davis, Dondrea Tillman and Willie Yarbary, as well as defensive end Freedom Akinmoladun all tried out for the Steelers on Monday.

Out of that group, two players (Costin and Akinmoladun) have NFL experience. Costin played in one game for the Jaguars last season and recorded one tackle.

The Miami (Ohio) product appeared in 12 contests and started nine for Jacksonville in 2020, making 32 tackles and recovering a fumble.

Meanwhile, Akinmoladun played in four games with the Cincinnati Bengals in 2019 and 2020 and one game with the New York Jets last year. He has four total NFL tackles to his name.

• Informative Informative x 1