1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

So We Should Make the Playoffs Easily???

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by S.T.D, Jul 3, 2022.

1. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

I’m not a Lamar fan…but his previous two season were pretty good. Last year he underperformed…but they were also probably the most injured team in the NFL. Again, when he’s healthy he’s a problem. And if he learns to throw outside the numbers consistently he’ll be a whole different animal. The guy is only 24 …I think. You could make the argument that he has a better trajectory than Josh Allen. And Allen is pretty good.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Lamar Jackson turned 25 in January. He's 2 year and 4 months younger than Mitch Trubisky. He's 1 year and 5 months older than Kenny Pickett. He's very young for a guy who has played alot.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    And His only win was against Duck Hodges in overtime....with a field goal....So...:shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  4. gibson43

Dec 19, 2011
    Great point!

The guy is still probably 2 seasons till he hits his prime and already has an MVP. I hope Pickett sucks like this!

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He will be out of the league in 2 years after some head/ knee hunting lb or safety lines him up!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. gibson43

Dec 19, 2011
    Wishful thinking...people been saying that since he was a rookie. And you could make the same statement for anyone who plays professional football - it's not a unique risk to only him. He needs to run less IMO...but honestly, his injury last year happened in the pocket if I remember correctly. I've yet to see him get lit up while scrambling...outside of maybe diving or extending for extra yardage. Even then I wouldn't say he has gotten lit up...hit hard..maybe.

7. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    For the past two years, his meaningful stats have all declined: game win % (87, 73, 58), TD % (9.0, 6.9, 4.2), QB rating (113.3, 99.3, 87.0), ANY/A (8.19, 6.70, 5.78). What has gone up are INT % (1.5, 2.4, 3.4) and sack % (5.4, 7.2, 9.0).

Seems more likely that his decline will continue, instead of him surpassing his MVP season.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. gibson43

Dec 19, 2011
    Wouldn’t call his 2020 season a “decline.” It was down vs an MVP season…during Covid? And he still went 11-4. And last year was down, but he had a team playing XFL players sitting at the #1 seed in the AFC at the beginning of Dec. if I remember correctly. Point being, if Pickett has these same numbers after year 4 Steeler nation will be putting him in the HOF. He’s a Raven therefore he sucks. But he’s actually a good player.

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    His injury happened on the run against us....late in the 4th.....they don't like 2 say that He got Hurt running, but low,and Behold the very same ankle He grabbed against us is the one He grabs the next week.

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not I

11. gibson43

Dec 19, 2011
    It is a contact sport. He's been less injured than Burrow in twice as may seasons...just saying. Running QB doesn't automatically = injury. Now...if running QB doesn't know how to slide (i'm forgetting who the QB was that could't slide to save his life and always seemed to get t'd up)...then they're just asking for it. Russ Wilson is a good example of a running/mobile QB who stays away from big hits.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. MeanJoeBlue

Jan 2, 2013
    Your quote: "The guy is still probably 2 seasons till he hits his prime and already has an MVP."
    That sounds like you expect him to be at or better than his MVP season either this year or next.

A steady and wide-spread decline from an MVP season is important in that context.
    It makes it more likely that he has already peaked and won't reach those heights again, like Flacco getting hot for a few playoff games.

I'm not claiming that Jackson "sucks" (that was other people), just that I don't see him returning to the levels that other people are claiming when they talk about him being a former MVP.

• Like Like x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    R. Wilson isn't a running Qb.....He's a Qb that can run.
    I will state the difference.
    A Qb that's team is always calling plays that has the Qb run is a running Qb, and one that can only play in a certain style of offense. I put J. Allen in this as of right now also.
    Now a Qb like R. Wilson, and P. Mahomes are Qbs that can , and will run when needed....yet Their teams hardly ever call a Qb run, and They can play in any offense.
    Also just 2 let You know ....I'm not arguing with You ....Im just having a discussion. :thumbs_up:

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I claim that He sucks.
    Now remember 2 be in the NFL you can't suck, but in comparison .....He sucks. Also doesn't mean He's not a wonderful human being....Like T. Edmunds....probably a great Human, but a sucky safety. LoL

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They have been able to sack him, and get him to turn the ball over.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I doubt Lamar will ever be as good of a thrower as Josh Allen, Lamar is the better runner though.

• Like Like x 1
  17. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Completely agree with this. There's no evidence that I've seen that running QB's are more injury prone than pocket QB's that are essentially stationary targets. Just like RBs, some QBs, whether pocket or running, have an ability to avoid taking big hits and some don't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Here is the kicker though. The legs go before the arm.....So if You depend more on the legs than the arm....well ....You get My point.....it's why there aren't any older running Qbs. Also if that injury Lamar had last year was on most Qbs ....they would still have played, but when You have 2 run 2 be successful....Well You see what happened.

19. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I would agree if he was 30, but he's not. He's young enough that the legs ain't going yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    so is mahomes declining? Because all his numbers have dropped since his mvp season.

21. MeanJoeBlue

Jan 2, 2013
    Re-read what I wrote.
    Jackson's stats were down across the board, and the drop from MVP season to 2 years ago was matched by the drop from 2 years ago to last season.
    The decline was widespread and consistent. That makes it less likely to be season-to-season variability.
    I also haven't seen someone claim that Mahomes will match or surpass his MVP season in the near future.
    (The claim was Jackson still hasn't peaked yet.)

For Mahomes, his INT % and sack % has been at or better than his second season.
    His ANY/A and TD % were consistent from 2019 to 2020.
    Maybe you can point out the multi-season trend in his stats?

If Mahomes shows a significant drop-off for 2 years in a row, and if his INT % and sack % skyrocket too, you can bet there will be articles asking what is wrong with Mahomes. Until that happens, the answer to your question is no.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Apparently

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So we are comparing. L. Jackson with P. Mahomes now....LoL....
    Jackson 43 Tds overall season unanimous MVP
    Mahomes 52 TDs overall, and wasn't unanimous MVP....LoL. Tell me they weren't pulling for someone.
    63 games played 159 total TDs , and a SB for Mahomes.
    58 games played 105 total TDs , and one playoff win by Jackson
    Please let's not compare them.

• Like Like x 1
  24. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Peyton broke every single regular season record in 2014 and wasn't unanimous mvp. Stop reigning up stats as the if it's the sole determination of who wins mvp. Is it a huge part? Yes. But it's not the only part. And I'm just using your logic. Mahomes numbers has dropped over the years since his mvp yr. That's the same logic you're using with lamar.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    https://slate.com/culture/2021/10/kansas-city-chiefs-patrick-mahomes-bad-season.html

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/in...things-seen-tape-how-qb-chiefs-get-back-track

Already were people saying it about mahomes. That was a theme during last season.

As for lamar his numbers didn't drop across the board. His completion percentage was the same for 2 straight years and is only 1.7 down from mvp year. Not dramatic drop off. His sacks and ints have risen. Last yr he was actually on pace to break his passing yards from his mvp yr. He was avg more passing yards a game then he ever has. Not a decline cross the board there. He had more 4 qtr and gw drives in less games this yr did he did the previous yr and his mvp yr combined. Maybe the large drop-off and his numbers in regards to picks and sacks can be partially attributed to his team.