1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Diontae Johnson is Having a Great Career.........And You Guys are Missing it!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Jun 30, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    What would have happened is the Steelers might have lost by fewer points. Did you not see the Chiefs blow by them like they were standing still?

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    If I remember correctly, it was just going to be an exchange of first-round picks.

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’d be curious what receivers some of the big DJ proponents would rank ahead of and behind him. I went through a list of non-rookie receivers and came up with 14 that I would definitely take over him and another 11 that are close calls. So to me he’s in that tier of WRs in the 15-25 range, not including rookies entering the league from a talented WR class. Of the guys that I have ranked ahead of him, most are in their prime or entering their prime. Therefore I would value DJ somewhere in the #20-25 range when figuring his value. Hell, I’m not even sure he’ll be the #1 receiver on this team in 3 years. He’s good, but he’s not “the guy.”

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i still think we have a 1, 1A, 1B, 1C, 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B type of receiving corps. DJ is part of that but we also have guys that will be or can be as good and we don't need to overprice or over value any one guy to create problems down the line for the team. i do believe any given game a different one of our receivers could have a great game. just going to depend on matchups and if the QB can get the ball to said receiver. no use putting a label on any one of them with a big contract. distribution will dictate who rises to the top of the heap.

we finally have a nice mix at this position that we don't need to break the bank on any one guy, but to keep them all happy with fair contracts to all. i think this season could make them all better with the competition that will be available. any of the top 4 could be the guy, but he doesn't have to be every week. tons of talent across the board at this spot plus RB and TE. only one ball. make the defense pick who to leave with less coverage on any given play. then hope our QB makes them pay. every wr we have should fight to be the guy. they all have the talent to do it and not just DJ. i believe that's how the team feels right now, so why force an issue if they don't have to. DJ will be out if he forces them. rightfully so or not.

i think there are some big ego's in that room and they are all going to fight to get that position and money. of course DJ wants it before it's seen what the rest of these guys can do here. self preservation. let the games begin i say. keep them all hungry for the brass ring. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    This goes to the exact point of this thread. Most Steelers fans have very little respect DJ's game. Ranking players is a very personal thing. If 10 people made a list, you would end up with 10 different lists. You are entitled to yours. But Diontae Johnson finished 6th in catches last season, and 10th in yards. He also missed a game last season or he would have easily broke the 110 for 1200 mark. To say he is in the 20-25 range is flat inaccurate IMO.

Here is my Top 15
    Cooper Kupp
    Justin Jefferson
    Jamar Chase
    Davante Adams
    Tyreek Hill
    Stephon Diggs
    Kellen Allen
    Diontae Johnson
    Deebo Samuel
    Mike Williams
    Tyler Lockett
    CeeDee Lamb
    Chris Godwin
    DJ Moore
    Terry McLaurin

I know the board loves Deebo. So before I take heat for ranking DJ above him, keep in mind, that I only took receiving stats into consideration. Deebo put up close to 400 yards and 8 TDs rushing. As a receiver, Deebo only had 77 receptions for 1405 yards and 6TDs. If this were a list of offensive weapons Deebo would make my top 5 easily.

I am curious Elvis. What 25 guys would you rank ahead of DJ? Surely you are not going to rank the Christian Kirks, and Darnell Mooneys of the world ahead Johnson?

6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers fans are spoiled. We had Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown. Claypool and DJ will judged harshly. The jury is still out on both of them.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Just curious.....

If Diontae Johnson were to put up the exact same stat line in 2022, as he did in 2021, would that change anyone's opinion of him?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Another problem is....if your Qbs don't suck there are a good group of Wrs coming out every freaking year.

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It would for Me. Like I keep saying....I really like Him, but....I have 2 see what He looks like with other Qbs. I've been watching football long enough that I have seen Wrs basically disappear, or disappoint with different Qbs. Very Very few Wrs look great with no matter what Qb they play with. I'd say only about 3%- 8%....the rest are very very Qb dependent, and only someone that doesn't watch football, or a Wr would disagree. LoL

• Like Like x 2
  10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    DJ stats are all getting better every year. The Same stats as last year would be considered a step back for him.

I look for DJ to be around 1,400 yds and 12 TDs, if his trend continues. Should make his 3rd Pro Bowl in 4 years
    upload_2022-7-8_10-51-57.png

• Like Like x 2
  11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It would go a long way towards settling any argument that his numbers were created by his work and not a reflection of the situation he was in for the 2021 season.

• Like Like x 2
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I doubt it

Most of us think he is exactly who he is

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Mike Wallace?

14. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I think his TD numbers may actually dip. I think Claypool is going to score more than 2 in 22'. Pickens and Freiermuth are also going to take a piece of the receiving touchdown pie this year. There are only going to be so many passing TDs to go around.

I think think he will top his other 21' numbers. I'm guessing something like 112 rec 1250 yds 7tds.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I don't think it would matter if he caught 200 passes for 2000 yards. Some people would be talking about the 3 he dropped.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Been on the DJ bandwagon since he was drafted. Guy has great skills.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Wallace took us further than AB ever did. SBXLV

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Well they were 3 really bad ones

Good players have stats

Great players show up when you need them the most

DJ didn’t

Well Mrs Lincoln other than that how was the play

19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It takes a lot to move some fans off their favorite whipping boy or their camp crush. I don't remember who I argued with about Eli Roger's possibly PWP but just kept holding on to that nugget about best slot receiver Haley had ever seen. I said you mean the guy who when he got his shot kicked his own foot and ended his season and eventually his career? Nothing was going to move that person's opinion not even watching Eli literally shoot himself in the foot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    107 receptions for 1161 yards and 8 TDs trumps 77 receptions for 1405 yds and 6 TDs? Similar for Mike Williams who had 76 receptions for 1146 yards and 9 TDs.

21. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    To me it does. Do you disagree? Why wouldn't it?

22. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    It's safe to say this board is all over the place when it comes to DJ. I would say that the people who think DJ is trash are the outliers. I don't really get that take. That leaves those who are divided about his value to this team. There are 5 pages on this thread of the same numbers being displayed in different and uncreative ways. The only question to be asked is whether DJ will command top tier money and will the Steelers pay it.
    Personally, I like DJ for the same reasons that have been discussed and I dislike the parts of his game that have been discussed. I don't feel that he will be able to have the kind of year that will warrant the Steelers paying him top WR money, which we know is insane. There are going to be too many other targets. I just don't see the normally frugal Steelers breaking the bank on this player, right wrong or indifferent. Maybe I'm wrong. It's been known to happen.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    The stats tell me DJ is a dink and dunk type receiver while Samuels and Williams are more explosive. I’m sure playing with old Ben instead of the young guns Garappolo and Herbert factors into this, but I would take any of those two WRs over DJ

24. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Which would make sense since I would consider DJ a better player than AJ Brown.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Well, there were only 8 players in the whole league who had more 40+ yard plays than DJ did last year (granted Williams and Deebo are both on that short list), so he isn't just a dink/dunk guy. He's explosive, but a very different WR from both Samuels and Williams. Williams is a deep threat mainly, and Deebo is just a weapon (there isn't too many guys like Deebo). Its just a "what type of player you like" argument at the end of the day.

DJ was (last season) 5th in receptions, 9th in yards, 12th in TD's, 9th in 40+ yard plays, 8th in Rec 1st downs, 6th in YAC ... and did this while playing in only 16 games. He had a top 10 year last year.

We are probably going to keep either DJ or Claypool after taking WR's with 2 of our top 4 picks this year. Money will play a factor, but I trust we will make the right decision. I'd rather keep DJ at 22-24 mil/yr than keep Claypool at anything more than 15 mil/yr, but that's just me. His money is going to be up to him. Put together another top 10 season and he's getting 25 mil+.

• Agree Agree x 1