1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Diontae Johnson is Having a Great Career.........And You Guys are Missing it!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Jun 30, 2022.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    WTF Brice

What are you babbling about

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. Baltimore Wrs look bad because of the Qb, and if our Qbs are bad so will ours.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    What is your scenario if DJ is not there this year?

I am saying DJ has leverage, because right now we are completely screwed without him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

5. NewMexicoLobo

NewMexicoLobo Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2021
    So far he's having a good career, not great. He has to continue to improve to achieve greatness.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Steelers have a tendency to find a decent WR and throw the ball to him so much his stats have to be elite. How about we get 2 or even 3 WRs that compliment the offense. That way if one guy gets hurt we are not hot garbage. The 95 Steelers were great because they had a lot of good WRs.

7. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I think Diontae is great. I totally agree with most of what you are saying... He is an elite route runner, shifty and explosive in an out of cuts, average top end speed (just enough to be a threat over the top), and has a decent knack for the endzone considering his height. His skillset is truly AB-esque. I cant however give him the "a lot of the drops were on Ben" excuse. Sure Ben wasn't his prime self, but Diontae's drops were concentration drops... not having to consistently adjust drops.

I think he struggles in this department partly because he is small and doesn't want to get wrecked, but partly because he has to think on the field. He too often is not 100% on the same page as the QB. You can see him "thinking" out there trying to be in the right spot, or read the DB/defense in order to feel a back shoulder pass. He just isn't comfortable in that part of the game yet. When you have to focus on other things, it takes focus away from the catch point. If he can get the mental part of the game down (the in-game split second decisions, not the mental preparation which he already has), then I think he can be an elite WR in this game. This part of the game was what made AB great. AB was ALWAYS on the same page as Ben. He ALWAYS made the right split second decision. He ALWAYS caught the ball, whether it was a tough catch or not. If DJ gets to that level mentally he will just be a copy of AB, and AB was WR1 in the NFL for just over a half decade.

It will all boil down to the QB play this year. If our QB (whoever that is) can manage to not get killed by our OL and make the proper reads, then DJ should be the main beneficiary. Good QB play could see DJ go for 1300-1500 yards with 8-10 TD's. However he could have a slight drop off if our offense blows harder than last year (god I hope not). Barring injury and dumpster fire by the offense, he should at the very least be a 1000 yard 6-8 TD player. He's just too good not to be.

• Like Like x 3
  8. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    AB was too good to not get the ball to though... JuJu, Bryant, and Bell all got a lot of targets too.

AB got open all the time, made plays even when he wasn't open, and was a threat to score with the ball in his hands at any moment. Why on earth would Ben/Tomlin not try to get him the ball a lot.

It wasn't force fed. It was free.

• Like Like x 2
  9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I agree with this. Concentration lapses "thinking" definitely played a role in his drops. I am not trying to absolve Johnson from blame. But I do think QB play played a significant role as well. We all saw what Ben looked like at the end of 2020. The ball was coming out of his had funny. It wasn't DJ alone that was having issues. It was pretty much the entire team.

Either way, it will be interesting to see what he does in 2022. Year 4 is typically the year where you go from being a young player, to being considered a veteran. Ben is no longer here, so no excuses.

10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    It is mind boggling, that some of the same people who criticize DJ, think Claypool has WR#1 potential. I wonder sometimes if people are watching the same games I do. DJ may have some drops, but Claypool has been awful at times.

If you took DJ off this team, the Steelers Wide Receiver Corps would be among the bottom five in the league. Yet people want to trade him for a 3rd round pick.:facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    DJ's trade value is being compared to AJ Brown.

So, when or if ever, have the Steelers traded away a player for a 1st round pick?

12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I doubt that is going to happen. The only instance I can think of was Mike Merriweather, who was traded to the Vikings after a long holdout.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Thanks, I Didn't remember any of this

The Vikings traded the 24th pick of the draft to the Pittsburgh Steelers for the rights to Merriweather, who sat out all of 1988 in a contract dispute.

14. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    ****, if we could get a 1st round pick for DJ, I would drive his ass personally to the airport and buy the ticket! Number of drops is unacceptable for a person wanting that kind of money. AB for how screwed up he was, was 100% better and also delivered in the clutch!

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Please see thread Realistic Passing Statistics, you can break down how many catches your favorite WR may catch. It is all in fun.

16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    We seem to have these two camps. One has Johnson on his way to being as good or better than Antonio Brown. The other has him being a bum who needs to be run out of town. The truth is somewhere in the middle. No, I don't think he has it in him to be the best wide receiver in the game, as Brown was, but Johnson is among the top 15 or so with room to grow.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am curious to see what Seattle does with Metcalf, as they are 100% in rebuild mode.

If Pittsburgh trades DJ for a 2023 draft pick, I think it would be safe to say we are in a rebuild year as well. It would suck to be CAM if that was the case, but at least he has his brother on the team.

18. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Are you saying we are dropping the ball on Drops Johnson?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Both Claypool and Johnson have room to grow

Both seem to have good potential

Even with scrambled eggs for brains AB showed early he was going to work to be great

I’m not seeing that yet in the other two

I don’t remember AB early on saying he was one of the best receivers

He just went out and proved it

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Paying a receiver 20 is about half of what a very good QB makes

Mahomes Allenn Wilson for example

Would you rather have two Diontaes and Mason or one of those three QBs

Three good WRs added up to 20 is about right

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I don't take articles like this very seriously. The headline says it all

Steelers **might not** be willing to offer Diontae Johnson $20 million per year

Might and not are the key words in that headline. This dude don't know. :lolol:LOL:lolol: He is just speculating like the rest of us.

Here is my best guess, for whatever that's worth.

The Steelers will not trade Diontae. He is the only proven receiver on the roster. Chase Claypool is a question mark based off last year. Pickens and Austin are question marks because they are rookies. The rest of the guys the Steelers have are camp fodder, and hence, question marks. The Steelers would be stupid to trade DJ away for a day 2 pick next year. I don't think the Steelers are stupid.

I also do not believe Johnson will get a contract before camp. I do not believe the Steelers are in any hurry. I also don't think DJ is going to hold out. I think he ends up playing out the year on his current deal. Then the Steelers will have to pay or tag him next year. I do not get the sense that there is any serious negotiation going on right now.

23. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Yes those 2 things I posted were his conjecture om others conjecture. Lol. It's all nonsense. At this point I don't think anyone knows what either the Steelers or DJ have talked about..if at all. Omar is not dumb, it's going to take market rate to keep him. No hometown discount, though he may consider the current guaranteed money (if offered) against a possible larger payday during FA, weighed against the possibility of injury or a down year.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    They actually did have a trade with Buffalo for a 1st for AB ( reportably). Though that was not the team looking to trade him as much as AB demanding it.

25. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    he sucks at the worst times. he is so talented....then he chokes. He killed the 1st Q of the Chiefs game. Who knows what the outcome would have been if we had gotten up 17-0 in the 1st Q?
    let him show us what he can do w/o a HOF QB and zillions of throws his way.

• Like Like x 1