1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kevin Dotson

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jun 29, 2022.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers really need him to have a good season, after a disappointing year from him in 2021, he started off last season in the doghouse then he got injured. It's year three for him, time to step up and show the promise he did as a rookie.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The whole OL needs to be much better as does the ILB position. If we could get that OL
    clicking, people would be amazed at what we could do offensively. We have quality skill position players, we can compete. Quality OL play /run game could open up soooo much.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I think the camp battle will be Dotson Vs Green for that LG position.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    If Dotson can't beat out Green for the starting job, then the Steelers OL will likely struggle again.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This appears to be a battle of the lesser of two evils

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it may very well be between those two but that just depends on the game day plan. Leglue and trent scott could be in the mix. they both offer position flexibility on game day. green does have guard and center capabilities but dotson is strictly a guard. scott offers guard tackle capable flexibilities and Leglue can play all 5 spots across the line. he did start over dotson and green to end the season and into the playoff game. i'm not sure we will know until preseason who actually is kept. usually 7-8 O-Linemen will be on the 53. this year we may have an extra D-Lineman to keep and it may cause them to have to deplete another position to do that. they usually keep 3 center capable guys on the 53. we have gotten to the 3rd center several times during the year. there could be many battles going on for the last couple of spots. i do think dotson gives our run game the best chance of success.

10-11 DBs
    7 DL
    7-8 OL
    3 QBs
    8-9 LBs
    4 RBs
    3 TEs
    5 WRs
    3 STs
    1 returner?

:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Scott might offer position flexibility, but I don't think he's that good :shrug:.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    our new O-line coach seems to like him i saw. i guess it will shake out in camp and preseason. i thought that too but after benching green and dotson at the end of last year you have to wonder.

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/06/j...e-you-can-do-to-crack-crowded-ol-depth-chart/

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=6be4...dGVyYW4tdHJlbnQtc2NvdHQtc2Vla3Mtcm9sZS8&ntb=1

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/06/n...-do-it-all-willing-to-handle-number-of-roles/

:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  9. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    positional flexibility is great for backups, but they aren’t changing the offensive line on a game to game basis. At least not intentionally. We all witnessed the importance of continuity on the offensive line last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i never said they would do that on a game to game basis. that won't work unless it's for injury. it's a matter of who starts and who they keep active for game day. having a guy active on gameday that can go in at any position is valuable since they probably will only dress 7 guys each game. now in preseason we may see some game to game changes while they look for the right combo and who to keep on the 53. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  12. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    My only concern with Dotson is staying healthy and staying in shape..,. His conditioning was what put him in the doghouse at camp..... Once he was in shape, his injury history came up.,.... Dotson did not have a bad season last yr.... He played with a struggling Dan Moore on his left and an even more struggling Kendrick Green on his right.
    That's a pretty daunting task for even the best to deal with..,. The conditioning issue looks like a simple lack of maturity and appears to be behind him.... Now it seems that the only thing that could hold him back would be his injuries..... If he can make it through a whole season, then we could see something special

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Going to be an interesting battle for the Guard Spot this Training Camp for certain.

• Like Like x 1
  14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Green was manhandled at the center spot being pushed back like a rag doll. Do you think he is not going to get the same treatment at the guard position? A back up at best.

I feel Dotson will win the job.

15. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I honestly do not know the recent strategy, but under the current cba yiu can dress 48 players on GameDay of you keep 8 OL. 47 if 7. Of course that last player has to be an OL. I think with the amount of injuries you need to keep 8. Which means one less position player. Do you keep 2 tes with Heyward being an h back/ sp team role. A lot of questions on the depth roles this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    So do you keep 9 on the 53 man roster, and then 8 active on game day?

17. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    In order to dress 48 on GameDay you have to havev8 on the 53 man roster. Im not sure on the specifics. I read once the the 48th guy had to be ol and could not be used unless there was injuries. Not sure if that is the actual rule, or if that was just being discussed in negotiations. I posted a link a few days ago I'll try and find it and put it here with an edit.

This is the rules under the 2020 CBA and updates for PS in 2022. The 48 roster is at the end.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020...g-the-nfls-new-roster-rules-beginning-in-2020

• Like Like x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Green will do better at guard

First he’s not a rookie he has a year under his belt

He has the strength

He can react to blocking at the snap without first having to properly make the snap

Keep in mind he was a guard in college

Specifically left guard where he is working now

Dotson may be fighting for a roster spot

• Like Like x 1
  20. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    If Dotson is healthy and has his mind right I still see him as a big part of the future on this oline. In his rookie year he was playing opposite Buckner, in the first half he had some help in the second half he was left on his own. Dotson moved Buckner off or down the line with surprising power. Buckner on a recent rating on Bleacher report was rated as the 6th best DL in the league.

• Like Like x 2
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree, but with that said .....I don't think We've seen the last of Him at Center.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Quite possibly

He and Dan Moore were thrown to the wolves last year rather than having time to learn and adapt

And all they get is crap for it

I commend both of them for the effort

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Dan Moore for me is whom I am much higher on than most. His first six weeks were.... lackluster to say the least. His second half season progression though was quite encouraging; doubly so in his final three games.

As stated about Green, another year under his belt to improve his overall game and further sharpen his fundamentals and basics. While I do believe that Chuks is maxed out in terms of how much more he can learn, the sky is the limit for Moore.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I really want to see Dotson on the right side and Daniels on the left side. That's the natural positions for both, so why not place them where they play at their strength. Same can be said about Chuks and Moore. Playing these guys at their sides of strength will equate to a better OLine.

• Like Like x 1
  25. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Green was really really bad last year. Granted he was a rookie and probably placed in an unfair spot to start at center when coming out of school he was a guard. He will have to really improve this year though to think he could be part of the starting 5.

• Agree Agree x 2