1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Playstation VR (or others)

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by SteelinOhio, Feb 15, 2018.

1. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Does anyone else have the PSVR or any of the other VR systems? I found an old post from a year or so ago talking a little bit about it, but hadn't seen much discussion.

I just got the Doom VFR bundle for the PS4 today and I have to say, this is pretty incredible. We haven't even had a chance to play any real games yet, but just looking around in the menu "rooms" on a couple of demos is truly an amazing experience. I can't wait to get into some actual games.

I played Resident Evil 7 when it first came out, so I'm looking forward to replaying it in VR. Also can't wait to try Doom. I went ahead and bought the Aim controller with Farpoint, which I've heard nothing but good things about.

I've been looking forward to this since I was a young teenager (around the time the Lawnmower Man movie came out), and it's great to finally be able to play around in VR (although I remember some arcade VR systems back then at King's Island, but they were pretty primitive compared to this).

2. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Ok, I played the Star Wars X-Wing VR mission, and it was hands down, the best gaming experience I've had in my life. The immersion is incredible, and I really felt like I could be sitting in an actual X-Wing cockpit flying through space. At one point, I started to shift in my chair (the real chair I was sitting in), and I ducked because I fully expected to hit my head on the cockpit window "above" me. Being able to fight Tie Fighters while being able to turn your head to watch them fly past is a whole new experience. And it's so cool to turn your head around and see an Astromech droid in the ship behind you.

We tried the "Moss" demo, which has a menu that is set in a chapel. Looking upward, I could see the ceiling a hundred or so feet above me. Can't wait to try some of the other stuff that's available, but I think I'm still most excited about RE7 and Doom.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I have not tried the PSVR, but it's intrigued me for sure. I figured by next holiday season the there would be a bigger game selection, and the price point would come down a little.

Wow, really? That's the main draw for me, because I know the kids would go nuts over that.

4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

image.jpeg "KIDS"......;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  5. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, being a huge Star Wars fan probably helped, but even for someone who isn't, it's pretty impressive. For me, it added to it that I've been a SW fan since May 25, 1977. Just seeing yourself in an X-wing flying through space is pretty epic. Even my wife, who doesn't play video games at all, has been highly impressed with the PSVR. I've got a really good feeling about this.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Just wanted to throw out there Playstation is having huge PSVR sales for Black Friday. Headsets are going for as low as $199 with 2 games included, or $249 with 2 games and 2 Move controllers included.

I've pretty much stopped playing flat games altogether since getting my PSVR back in February, and the games have just gotten better and better since then. In the last couple of months, I'd rank some of the new games as some of my favorite all-time PS4 games along side many non-vr games.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I just joined the modern world and got a VR set. And although I have a PS5, I didn't get the Playstation VR because the new one isn't out yet (the older model is outdated for PS5) and will be very expensive when it does arrive. I mean, one day I might get it, but for now, I'll use some training wheels and see if I like this at all. So I got an Occulus Quest 2. Just arrived today. Still have to charge it up and set it up.

My son-in-law has one and a few of the games seem fun enough. Anyone have one and have recommendations for games? Vader Immortal looks interesting. And Beat Sabre is fun even though I suck at it... but I'll get more practice now.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I have a quest 2 running through my computer. Ended up having to upgrade my router so I could go wireless. Games are all supercheap on Steam when you can find Bundle Sales. Running a 3080 graphics card, that luckily I bought before the prices went insane.

I try to hit the VR Boxing workout about 5 times a week for 30 minutes a session. Have a room dedicated for the play area.

• Like Like x 2
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    All of this sounds very cool. Especially anything Star Wars, and Boxing, but as a lifetime gamer (Well since Atari I believe 2600 in 77) about almost 2 years ago I put down My controllers, and haven't picked them up since.

10. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Any particular reason? Or just change in priorities/interests? I know music seems like your #1 hobby.

• Like Like x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly. I was spending way 2 much time playing games as playing music.
    It became an obsession when You beat every game You've ever owned....with every player available....just 2 do it. LoL

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    True. That's why I don't obsess about getting every trophy, or 100% on games. I'm just there to have fun and decompress.

Oh? You beat the game on the hardest difficulty 100% in record time? Good for you. I got laid. :roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    See ....I had 2 do exactly that, and that's when I knew it was time. Not 2 say I won't ever play again(I learned along time ago ...never say never), but I won't for awhile more. :thumbs_up:

14. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Stepping back is always a good idea when you realize you're going overboard.

Many moons ago, I played WoW. And I was very good at it. I was even the Raid leader in my guild. I had to do it all. Had to beat every boss, get every piece of epic gear. Farmed for hours a day in that quest. Until I realized I was wasting more time on that game than the hours I spent working! It became a full time job. I didn't have time for anything else. Quit then and there. Never looked back.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Here is a tip for anyone that likes to drink in VR.

I am a Coors light guy so this can does it all for me.
    1) Fits in my cup holder on my chair.
    2) Unlike regular cans this wide mouth with the shape of the neck allows you the ability to drink it while still completely wearing your VR Headset.

You can remove the lid, take a drink and put the beer back in the cup holder all without having to remove your VR goggles.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That's what I use 2 drink when I was a teen. When Elvira Mistress of Darkness did all their adds....plus it was the cheapest beer in the area at the time.:thumbs_up:

17. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    What kind of games do you like? I've played a lot of VR games and can recommend some specific games in different genres.

Some general recommendations I'd make are:

• The Room VR
    • I Expect You to Die (light humor spy puzzle game)
    • Beatsaber (rhythm game, which I generally don't like, but this one has you cutting different colored cubes with lightsabers to music and is really fun)
    • 2MD: VR Football
    • Paranormal Activity
    • Job Simulator
    • Superhot VR (kind of makes you feel like Neo in the Matrix)
    • Red Matter
    • Apex Construct
    • Five Night's at Freddy's: Help Wanted

Those are some that come to mind that I think are all available on Quest 2. My 2 favorite VR games, Resident Evil 7 and Iron Man VR are unfortunately only on PSVR.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Let me see if I can post this. Pretty Funny Commercial.

Edit: I tried to order my brother one, who is a huge Chiefs fan, and it is already out of stock!

• Like Like x 1