1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Woodson or Sanders who was better?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, May 9, 2022.

1. Woodson

41 vote(s)
    87.2%
  2. Sanders

6 vote(s)
    12.8%
  1. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Al Bundy? He threw 4 TDs in a single game for Polk High.

2. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Even better than him, though Al is a close second!

3. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I don’t even remember the first Super Bowl he was in but I can assure you he was not the reason for their win against the Steelers in the second Super Bowl. Did you even watch the game? You keep on going back to the same argument and quote of Deion's self promoting statement “they don’t pay me to tackle”, that is a poor argument. Everyone has presented you with evidence including stats on why Woodson is better and you still keep go back to irrationality. Answer this one question for me. Forget about who the better athlete is for a second. Who is the better football player?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I said him going to Dallas is why they won. If he stayed in San Fran I believe they repeat. He was the difference in them beating Dallas. So that's why I said he was the difference of two teams winning a sb. And actually in that game O'Donnell threw it to Larry brown's side more because he was avoiding deion.

Also I been acknowledged Woodson was the better FOOTBALL PLAYER. Deion the better corner.

5. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I said he was in the booth AND he's also a coach. And not just for the name as hes been very successful thus far which i already mentioned. I also said people always want his opinion on who's the best etc.. because they know he has the knowledge to analyze that.

6. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I am. You said since Woodson and eion sre both good then who ever is better is matter of opinion. Anyone who is called a "goat" has someone else at their position who's also good so how are they regarded as the goat when it's a matter of just opinion. And since also it's just a matter of opinion I can say ben was just as good as Brady since both were good and deciding between two good players is just an opinion according to you.

7. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    You might want to reread what you wrote. Maybe it'll sink in......

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Seriously, did you not take English Comp yet? How the hell did you pass if you did?

It's possible he made the difference, but that still wouldn't make him better than Woodson. If Woodson had been playing for the 49ers, then went to the Cowboys, that would have made just as big of an impact.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Prove had Woodson gone to the 49ers or cowboys the same exact thing would have happened. And also I didn't say Deion was better because of that.

10. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I know what I said and I know what you said. Did you not say when it's two good players, comparing who's better between the two respective players is all a matter of "OPINION"?

11. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    yes

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The end

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Ahh ok Woodson the better football player but Deion the better corner. Hmmm that makes a lot of sense. This is a round about way of saying that the CB position is secluded from requiring the player to tackle. Last I checked a CB was a “Football Player”. I guess in your mind those are two different things, it makes sense because it conveniently supports your argument. I knew you were going to say O’Donnell’s interceptions were the result of him avoiding Sanders. So in effect Deion won the game, right? So if Sanders stayed with San Francisco he would have shut down Irvin I guess and SF would have advanced to the Super Bowl not Dallas. How would have Sanders stopped Emmit Smith from running him over? Dallas had a premier running game and SF would have essentially been playing Dallas with 10 guys on the field. As much as Deion was an asset against the passing game he was a liability against the running game. You ever hear the phrase “We want ALL 11 men running to the ball”? That means the defensive coordinator is expecting everyman to put forth maximum effort to make the tackle. They don’t say 9 men run to the ball and the cover corners hang back and only cover. Football is a team sport and part of the sport requires tackling. Even punters and kickers are required to tackle. If he wasn’t good at tackling then it is impossible to state that he was a better corner back. Was he better at coverage than Woodson? Yes he was better at coverage. He was the standard for coverage but Woodson was elite in that area as well but just not as elite as Sanders. But again I will always argue that coverage duties is not the only requirement of the cb position. I will also contest that Deion never ran 4.17 like he boasts about. It was never documented. What was documented was 4.28 which is slightly faster than Woodsons 4.31. The guy was good but he was a self promoter and he got a lot of attention for that. He was flashy Woodson wasn’t. A person who understands football will see through the hype and understand whom the better player was.

• Like Like x 2
  14. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I'll take the complete player over Prime Time every day and twice on Sundays. Like Ronnie Lott, Rod didn't possess the type of personality to self-promote. Sanders was a publicists wet dream. Good for him. Rod let his play do the talking and anyone that knows anything about football knows that Rod was the better overall football player, period.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    If it's 4th and 15 in the last minutes of a game I'd take Sanders any day over Woodson. If there's a full game to play I'd take Woodson in a heartbeat. Sanders had better speed and was better at coverage whereas Woodson had IT. Call it intangibles, heart, or whatever, but Rod played with a passion.

Sanders had the abilities to be far greater than Woodson but chose not to play at his full potential. During the course of a game I'd take Woodson and his much superior heart over Sanders and his somewhat superior ability.

16. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I think it is safe to say, that if you were to tell any team in the NFL that they could have Rod Woodson as their no.1 cb, they would be ecstatic. And the same if you were to tell them Sanders would be their no.1. Also, Darrell Green, Darrelle Revis, Mel Blount, etc. Trying to say who is the greatest is just futile.

17. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    So by that logic, there is no goat. When calling someone a goat you're calling them better then other good players at their respective position.

18. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    You're still not getting it......

• Like Like x 1
  19. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    If you watched what helped them finally stop Emmitt was because they could now bring a safety in the box to help stop the run because you can leave deion on an island alone vs anybody with most safety help.

And am I the only person who calls deion the best conerback ever. He's widely regarded as the best to play the postion so yes to many his non ability to tackle didn't matter.

And yes you can be a better football player than somebody but not better at a certain position. Woodson could play safety and corner. It's why he's a better football player lol he can play more postions. Just like prime example, davante adams is the best wr in the nfl but deebo Samuel is a better football player as he could do more.

20. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    What am I not getting?

21. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Really?

22. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    That was a good response. I don’t remember the game between SF and Dal so I will take your word for it. I do believe Woodson was also a lock down corner and had he been in SF they could have played Dal the same way with him on their team. I still believe you have to factor in tackling when you look at any defensive player. Both Woodson and Sanders were elite at their position. Deion was slightly better at coverage but when you factor in the other things that Woodson did one of which was tackling, I believe you have to put him ahead of Deion. At any rate we aren’t going to change either mind at this point. It is like splitting hairs on what is better a Ferrari or Lambo.

• Informative Informative x 1
  23. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I understand what you are getting at here but I don’t believe Sanders would have ever or could have ever been far superior to Woodson. It sounds like your saying Woodson was lacking in elite athletic traits which is just not true. Woodson played with an edge and was much more physical than Sanders. I believe that is what you were trying to say.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Actually, you included it in your argument, which was also based on speculation. We don't know what would have happened if Sanders hadn't changed teams. If you've got two evenly matched teams, one of them had Rod Woodson in his prime and the other didn't. Then Woodson switched to the other team, that would be a massive difference, likely enough to change the balance of power between those teams. If you don't even understand that, you need to put on a dunce cap and sit with in the corner with your nose against the wall for a while.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. 88Unstoppable82

88Unstoppable82 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2021
    As far as guys switching teams between that era's Niners and Boys, I'm taking Charles Haley over ANYBODY else, Sanders included. He BY FAR had a much greater impact on both of those teams when he was with each one than anyone else who was on each one, Sanders, Norton Jr. or anyone else. And Haley, as great as he was then, wasn't even the greatest at his position of all time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1