1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB Battle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 24, 2022.

1. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I still cannot understand why so many people believe Dobbs was such a good QB. He threw one pass coming off the bench and for some reason it gives him elite status. I remember Ben going out injured against the Raiders with a lead in hand and Dobbs playing so horribly an injured Ben had to make his way back onto the field to lead what could have been game winning TD only for our defense give up a quick TD to lose the game. Dobbs is not the great QB so many want to give him credit for.

2. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    To me Dobbs in 2019 would have been a great QB for the Steelers down the stretch, when comparing him to the guy that played in his place Duck Hodges.

We received a 5th round pick for Dobbs and had to play Duck Hodges in the 2nd half of the season, missing the Playoffs by 1 game.

Last edited: May 27, 2022
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I would tend to agree that Hobbs would definitely have played better than duck. And I'll give him leeway in being 3rd string after the trade to the Jags as it takes time. But the next year he could not even beat out a 6th round scrub from Oregon St as a back up. Even all the talk about great coaching or OC potential is just that, talk. From accounts I only have heard one play he actually helped develop or bring into a game. There may be more of course, but until he does something he is still a 3rd string back up in the league.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he has a winning record. :smiley1::cool:

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Cowher never said he is going to be 3rd string, he said he is going to sit and learn, something along those lines. Do you know how demoralizing it would be to hear you are 3rd string regardless of what you do?

It’s just coach speak anyway, means you aren’t being handled anything, I’m sure Ben would have earned 2nd string regardless of Batch’ injury.

I can’t believe people are arguing this lol.

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    why not? he was a rookie from miami of ohio. the coach didn't want to draft him. alan faneca wasn't to keen on the rookie starting if i remember. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    11th pick of the draft, thats why. Has any QB ever in the modern age been drafted that high and been 3rd string?

We’ll never know if Cowher would have been that dumb but I seriously doubt Ben would have started the season 3rd string.

And Faneca didn’t have a problem with Ben, he went to him and explained no one likes to lose their starting QB.

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree. I can't believe You are arguing this. :shrug:
    Cowher said it, Stan said it , and countless others said it.
    AGAIN....this is not saying He would have stayed 3rd string, but without any injuries AGAIN....from what coaches, and others said He would have started the season as 3rd string.

9. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

The legend of Josh Dobbs is based on three things:
    1) he’s very smart - we can imagine he’s a Peyton Manning-like OC on the field
    2) he’s athletic - We can imagine Lamar Jackson but less reckless
    3) he never played enough to dispel the first two notions

in his 5yr career to date, the “great QB” Josh Dobbs threw all of 17 passes for a whopping 45 yds. As bad as Duck was he did at least that in 6 separate games. I see zero evidence that Dobbs would have done better in ‘19 than the guys who played.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    w Watson pending suspension/ league punishment more than a good chance we see Dobbs next year vs. the Browns - shld be interesting...
    are they keeping Mayfield?

11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    If they get stuck keeping Mayfield, Dobbs likely doesn't make the team. If not, he is still behind Brissett if and when Watson misses time.

12. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    ok so its Brissett, I was wondering who they had besides Dobbs, Brissett will be there QB, unlikely to see Dobbs

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Steelcityfanatic:

First welcome

Second read what Sir Scribe wrote very slowly. Take it all in. See if you can find the flaw in your thoughts.

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    different time back then. free agency wasn't quite like today and you could hold your players a little longer. rookies didn't play very often here at that time. faneca only changed his tune when the media blew it up. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :rolleyes:

No, Cowher didn’t say that but keep making things up to fit your narrative. This all started because someone said wasn’t Ben third string and he was, in camp.

If you think he would have been 3rd string once camp broke, ok, people believe silly things all the time. It’s especially funny coming from someone who normally slobbers all over Ben, though :lolol:

16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yes Cowher did say it. I heard it out of His mouth on Pittsburgh Sports Beat. For the 500th time this does not mean He would have stayed there, but that's how they wanted 2 start the season.....unless Cowher, Stan , and the rest just lied. :shrug:

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Then you are misremembering because no coach is going to say at the start of preseason that my #1 pick will be 3rd string regardless of how he plays in preseason.

What does make sense is that towards the end of camp Cowher probably spoke about their plans to have Ben sit and learn for a year.

18. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Pickett should start. If he's who everyone here says he is he should be starting week 1. He has all the tools and was the most nfl ready from what I'm being told.

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    OK. LoL

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes he did

• Like Like x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Bill Cowher on Roethlisberger:

Tommy remained our starter

Charlie Batch was his backup

He’d have a year in our system without any pressure or responsibility

We didn’t expect him to play much during the season

We told Ben the plan and he said he understood and accepted it

jeh:

Now I admit times have changed and Mitch and Mason aren’t Tommy and Charlie

But Ben was 3rd and the intent was for him to stay 3rd

And when he was forced to come in they really had to dumb down the offense

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t buy it, Jeh. 2004 wasn’t that long ago that an 11th pick of the draft would have been 3rd string.

And if that was Cowhers intention then I say he is full of **** when he counters Arts version of drafting Ben. Because the only way a coach is making the 11th pick of the draft a 3rd string Qb is if he was pissed at having to draft him.

23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think anybody claimed that Cowher said Roethlisberger would be third-string no matter what happened, but he absolutely said that the plan was for Roethlisberger to sit and learn behind the two veterans his rookie season. That plan was blown up when Batch got hurt in preseason. I'm sure Roethlisberger's play would have blown it up at some point, but based on the comments at the time, I believe we would have seen Batch, not Roethlisberger, when Maddox was injured against the Ravens if Batch had been healthy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Nope. No need to rush Pickett into the starting role unless injuries to other QBs occur. Pickett looks to be a good QB, but he's not as ready as say... Trevor Lawrence or Joe Burrow.

25. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    So apparently Rudolph is putting some athleticism on display at the OTAs. I still say you cannot count him out yet. There is a reason Trubisky is with his 3rd team. Yet, he is the best QB on our roster to never play a down for us. I'm still hoping Rudolph beats him out.

• Like Like x 2