1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Last time the Bengals won the division and swept the Steelers...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by MeanJoeBlue, May 14, 2022.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Fair enough.

Too many signs pointing to him being an early candidate.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Well that’s a wealth of information

3. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Here`s to hoping.

However, they have a franchise QB and we don`t this time.

If the Bungles bungle it and we win division, there are still KC and others out there.

4. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Not that good but he's very good. Prime AB was the most productive wr in history over a 6 year span. That's alot to be that. Chase reminds me of julio but not necessarily as talented but he's just a notch below. He will be very good.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Folks the Bengals are very good, if they get better OL play they are going to be a tough out. The whole AFC North is good.We must keep improving to keep up and hopefully qualify for playoffs and go from there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    If Pickett is the real deal then we can compete

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  7. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    He is going to need help and play consistent. Remember he is still a rookie and will probably make
    rookie mistakes. Only one person i know of that walks on water. It is the totality of AFC North rosters that bother me. More talent
    is needed by the Steelers. Let's hope some of these Fa's and draft picks pan out. IMO if we can get OL playing well and Najee
    running well, we have a much better chance at competing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Yeah on paper we are falling behind. Then you have the chiefs…

very hard to imagine a true shot at a title soon lol

9. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    The whole AFC is loaded ,AFC west is as good of division that I May have ever seen?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    That reminds me.
    How many years have the Browns been predicted to have more wins than the Steelers?

Serious question.
    I don't remember when that started, but it hasn't happened yet.
    Besides this year's prediction, wasn't it also the last 3 years?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    This. Someone is not getting in at the end if the year.

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Since 2019.

I understand the logic behind though. A team with essentially a Top Five Roster and one of the up and coming young QBs at the time in Baker Mayfield combined with OBJ sure did make a lot of money move at the bookies. The problem was the very same major problem many people like me not just on this board but across the entirety of the Sports Media World feared the Browns would do; find a way to colossally mess up their chances. They did just that in 2019 with Freddie Kitchens. Granted, 2020 they had redeemed themselves with the likes of Kevin Stefanski but after winning Coach of the Year in 2020... he and the Browns regressed badly in 2021. Now while some of this does fall of Stefanski.. a good portion of it befalls on Baker; the same Baker they are likely going to have to be stuck with unless the Browns elect to trade him soon.

Now it is 2022, the Browns have a QB who not only has 22 cases against him but also has not played in over a Season. For that matter, who knows how long he will be suspended?! Still, their Roster is still very, very deep and talented across the board... save for the exception of the position that doomed them in 2021. How successful the Browns season will be will be determined by who is under Center. Yes, Chubb and Hunt are either the best 1-2 punch in Football or on the shortlist but they alone cannot win games all by their lonesome. Even if they somehow could, no team is running themselves to the Super Bowl for the game is far too advanced from the days of the 1972 Miami Dolphins.

However and, for me, whether or not DeShaun is suspended or not is irrelevant for me. The QB position is a position that requires live game repetitions for said player to succeed. Watson did only miss one season but a whole lot can happen within that time span. Never mind that, Cincy, Baltimore and Pittsburgh all have gotten better as well.

• Like Like x 2
  13. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Yea lol

• Like Like x 1
  14. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    He tore his ACL his rookie season,came back and threw for 4000 yards, and made the pro bowl. That's alot harder to do then coming back after just not playing. Deshaun will be fine.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    @Wardismvp
    I wanted to quote you like 4 times because, like Dylan, you're spitting straight fire.

The Bengals are good, the ravens are good, the browns feel rejuvenation and the Steelers are reloading.

There is a talent need but I don't think it's a "break glass" level issue. I think we're young in the right spots outside of DLine ( I worry about tuitt).
    There are holes but it's not gaping, like 5 hours and a baseball bat gaping hole.

I feel the 2022 Steelers, like the 2021 Steelers are using this time to "get them ready."
    There is a lot of youth on this team and it is exciting.

Wasn't there a trend like 5 years ago that the Steelers had the 4th oldest roster? I wonder where that is now.

https://overthecap.com/2021-season-preview-the-nfls-youngest-and-oldest-rosters/

Found it.

I like the spot. A little below in age for O and little above in D.

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:hmm:

You just dismissed your own rebuttal there.

Joe actually played before he got injured. DeShaun has not played in a year. One did.... the other did not.

You state this yourself. Again, context.

• Like Like x 1
  17. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Prime AB who never provided Super Bowl wins like Hines Ward, John Stallworth and Lynn Swann. And Santonio Holmes.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
  19. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Not for the steelers. But you're blaming him.for why they didn't win?

20. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    No I didn't. Deshaun his rookie yr tore his acl, came back, threw for 4000, and made the pro bowl..and won a playoff game.

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yes you did.

Again, Joe Burrow came back from his ACL injury.... after playing in his rookie season. 2022 is not even DeShaun's Sophomore Season and never mind Rookie Season. In addition, DeShaun has not played in over a season as he sat out the entire 2021 season.

Not only are the examples you provided different points in both DeShauns and Joe's time in the NFL incorrect but also the amount of time each player has played since their injury. Once again, DeShaun sat out in 2022 while Joe returned in 2022. Last time I checked, Joe Burrow was not even in the discussion for future number one overall pick in 2018.

Again, context.

• Like Like x 1
  22. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Whether you got hurt or didn't play you still didn't play. Brady tore his acl in the very first game and came back fine. Guess that 1 half of football Brady played really made a dramatic difference to his performance when he came back. This is no different also I said nothing about Joe burrow.

Alex Smith came back after missing a whole year, played, and looked decent considering his leg injury. So again why would deshaun with no injuries just no longer know how to play football? He's been playing his whole life. 1 season isn't going to just make him bad.

Andrew luck missed the entire 2017, came back in 2018, and balled out 4500 yards. 39 tds, and made the playoffs.

23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Soo.....

None of those players elected to forego an entire season via sitting out. DeShaun did. Therefore, his rust will not be a result of a return from injury but rather a lack of live reps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Again so because you sit out for injury instead of just sitting out, that discrepancy is what determines how good you will be when you come back regardless if both players missed the SAME AMOUNT of time?

25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Notice how I said "rust" throughout. Heck, the natural inclination of a slow start is expected for any great player... no matter who they are. How they are returning though is, once again, the main point here. One returns from injury. The other elects to sit out.

Long story short?! One has more live in game reps than the other; making the return a bit smoother. The other not only has to return to the game after sitting out a season but with a new team no less.

Of the two, it is not hard to see why Joe Burrow had the success he did in Year Two compared to Year One. DeShaun has never reached the Super Bowl and has never been to an AFC Title game. Why expect him to do so heading into the new season while he has missed time; a new team no less.

At any rate, this farce has run its course. You believe DeShaun Watson will light up the League once he steps back into the fold. I believe he will need time to do so. Time will tell which one of us is correct. One aspect is for certain and doubly so for me;

I really do not give a rats tail on how the likes of Baltimore, Cleveland and Cincy will turn out. While I will pay close attention, my primary focus is on the Pittsburgh Steelers. No point in me worrying about what was; only what is so that what will be yield positive results for my team not just at this point but moving forward.

• Like Like x 2