1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Peter Kings Power Ranking

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 23, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    We all should damn well hope they aren't making a mistake, right? We are all Steelers fans here.

It is funny that you talk about my obsession when you are the one who keeps bringing up your need to lump Pickett in with the other quarterbacks, especially Willis. That is where this started, not my response.

Actually, what I favored was the Steelers passing on Willis in the first round, and I was right. This is inarguable among the sane. We have the benefit of hindsight on this one. We know Willis was still available when the Steelers picked in the third round, so it would have been a mistake to take him in the first.

Regarding what they actually did with the pick, my preference would have been to take Hill or Linderbaum. I was a fan of Linderbaum as their pick back to last fall, but it wasn't going to happen. They skipped his pro day. I'm not saying they were right to pass on him, but they don't skip guys' pro days and then take them in the first round, but I would have been happy with Hill. I've said since the draft that my preference would have been Hill, then either Moore or Pickens in the second round and a quarterback in the third.

Regarding Pickett, I am fine with the pick. I do not accept your false premise that no other team would have traded into the latter part of the third round to take him. I certainly don't believe he would have made it to the Steelers at 52 overall. It wasn't my preference, but I do believe they took him right where he belonged, late in the first round. There is plenty of evidence out there to support my point of view on this, more than there is to support yours.

The question is simple no matter how much you muddy the waters. You think you have this gotcha moment in bringing up the teams with multiple first-round picks passing on Pickett. None of those teams chose a quarterback in any round of the draft, so it is hard to argue that they wanted one. The Giants still think Jones is their guy. The Jets just drafted one No. 2 overall last year. I don't think the Saints are right to trust the veterans they have, but that seems to be the direction they are going. That leaves the Lions, which is where the argument you don't like comes into play. That is where trusting the Steelers more than the Lions comes into play.

2. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I rarely, if ever take Peter King seriously. I know the guy.
    He'll get red faced and puff up, but who cares.

The way he should have approached the article was to be more focused on additions and deletions.
    And without even a single preseason game, it's hard to guess if the roster even gels.
    On paper, we look like we've improved.

I don't really get the Pickett bashing.
    He went in the draft around the position most thought he would, where teams valued him.
    The Steelers might have picked him a spot or two early but was it worth the risk?
    As hard as it is to come by even a decent QB, come on, you have to take a shot when you've got nothing.
    Mitch is a huge question mark. He threw 8 passes in 2021. Can he recover his career after the Chicago?
    Mason failed to step up to the plate when given the opportunity.
    Kenny Picket has to play within his skills and not try to be superman. Let the game come to him. Can he do it? I don't know till I see him play some.
    There will be some ugly, there always is with rookies.

The Steelers did the right thing.
    Sign a Veteran that's looking to resurface and drafted a hungry rookie and they have a serviceable backup in Mason.
    This competition should be good.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    This is one of the very popular logical fallacies in internet discussions. You're going to keep arguing with the other guy, then claim something is wrong with him if he keeps going.

I'm aware that sometimes people just get bored with an argument. This is a message board, not a job. There is nothing wrong with saying you are bored or frustrated and just don't feel like going on with an argument. Maybe you just think it is pointless to continue. There is nothing wrong with just walking away. That said, it is pretty crappy to claim that that something is wrong with the other guy just because he is willing to keep going when you don't feel like it. Ironically enough, it is an attempt to claim some sort of victory on your way out the door.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I think a lot of it is coming from people who wanted Willis. We don't know how Pickett will turn out, but we absolutely know the Steelers were right to pass on Willis in the first because he fell so far. That leads people who thought Willis would go high to lumping all of the quarterbacks together, which really doesn't make sense. It would be like saying that no team should have taken a linebacker in the first round because Nakobe Dean fell to the third. It simply isn't true.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Whatever.

Bring the conversation back to the topic of the thread.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    You two are the best entertainment on here by far!

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Pickett is part of the reason King is wrong.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Better.

9. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    They totally got me with Willis. At the beginning of the draft I was totally expecting the "We Have a trade the Pittsburgh Steelers have...." line.

I was fearing they would be this years 2021 49ers. Trading away 3 first round picks to move up to the #3 spot and then take a small school QB that has never faced a quality defense in his life.

This truly was the only reason I was so opposed to the Steelers taking a QB in the 1st round; I believed all the Malik Willis hype that the Steelers were going to have to move up to get him.

• Like Like x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Nosey neighbor. LoL.
    Love the avatar. Just noticed it was different. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    It was pretty much accepted that Pickett was the "most NFL ready" except for a few exceptions.
    Even so, as you and I know, that's certainly not a guarantee that Pickett or anyone else is a certainty.
    Some scouts I know, rated Willis as a 3rd round pick at the earliest - also saying that athletically he has superior skills but is far short of NFL ready.
    Again, you and I know, for be it from a guarantee.
    Both QB's went pretty much as suspected, which is rare. But we all know the Tom Brady story also. :)
    For me, if I lost my QB, especially a Big Ben, I've got to make some sort of attempt at addressing that.
    The Steelers brass went for the highest rated QB (or safest).

I suspect that if all their options at QB this year don't pan out, they will try again in 2023 and they just might anyway if Mitch fails.
    Pickett probably gets at least 3 years by default and most likely 4.
    Mason is probably the safe backup but his meter is expiring, if you know what I mean.

It's very difficult to make a call so early... we've got to see some snaps.
    Like I tell some others, 'if we were that good of talent evaluators, NFL teams would be seeking us out and we would be getting paid to do it.'

• Like Like x 1