1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Woodson or Sanders who was better?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, May 9, 2022.

1. Woodson

41 vote(s)
    87.2%
  2. Sanders

6 vote(s)
    12.8%
  1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m waiting for the Analyst to give us a dissertation on how someone told him to think Deon is the best

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    One of mine too!

• Like Like x 2
  3. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    Woodson all the way.

4. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I’ll take Woodson. He was all that n a bag of chips.

However, still mad he went to the Ratbirds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    The vote is a biased 28-0. Go to a Cowboys message board and ask the question, my guess is it would not be 28-0 in favor of Sanders.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Sanders was definitely better in coverage, I remember Woodson getting beat deep by Sterling Sharpe, and Terry Glenn, I don't ever remember Sanders getting beat deep in his prime.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Sanders liked getting beat on the inside slant route. At least from when I've watched him play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Take it to a board for any team in the league other than the Steelers and Cowboys and Sanders would win big.

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I guess there is a point here

But you lost me at “ go to a Cowboys message board”

:smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Same fans that 10 years ago would have told you that Ray Lewis was the GOAT LB.

IOWs, people who only form their opinions off of highlights and Sportscenter hype.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Maybe, but there is more merit to their argument in favor of Sanders.

12. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    No. There isn't. They're basing it off of hype. Period.

Yes, maybe the fastest man at the time in the NFL in his prime. Yes, flashy. Yes, great cover man. But that was it. Unless you want to count his punt returns, but that has nothing to do with playing CB. He was a horrible tackler, actually avoided contact more often than not, didn't play run support, and was NO danger to WRs going across the middle or leaping for a catch (back when you could take their head off). He was not a complete player. He just wasn't.

Even as a strict cover man - and he WAS a great cover man - he didn't even crack the top 20 in all-time interceptions. Woodson is 3rd with the same number of seasons played. Even Mel Blount has more with 3 less seasons, and shorter seasons to boot (not to mention playing in an era where teams weren't pass happy)!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Now if You said who was the most Hyped CB in the NFL....D. Sanders would win it hands down. I know kids that have never seen D. Sanders play, and they know who He is....They would say He's the greatest....I have trouble listening 2 people that have never actually watched Him play. Yet never one time seeing Him play they would swear He's the greatest....if that's not Hype....I don't know what is.:shrug:

Last edited: May 11, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. 88Unstoppable82

88Unstoppable82 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2021
    Rod easily. EASILY. Honestly, it's not close. And Sanders wasn't "better" in coverage than Rod. They each had different strengths and weaknesses there, but overall were pretty equivalent. People like to "give" that to Sanders because of how poor the comparison is for him in all other aspects (like giving a team trailing by 30 in the 4th a couple of penalties against the other team). But that's just disrespecting how PHENOMENAL Rod was in sticking like glue to guys all over the field.

As to the greatest corner of all time, that's even less close. It's Mel, of course. I don't say that to reiterate what others here have already said, but instead to state that as I've said many times ever since I watched him play all those decades ago, he is still, to this day, the best all around defensive player, regardless of position, I've ever seen. Bar none. People use the terms "inhuman/not of this Earth" to describe athletes from time to time.

He actually was.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I remember watching the NFL All-Time Top 100 a few years ago and Boomer Esiason was pretty vocal about Woodson should have been top CB because the other guy didn’t like to be physical “…and you all know who I’m talking about!” Woodson was definitely feared and respected by opposing QBs.

• Like Like x 1
  16. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    The interceptions aren't close because people spent YEARS not throwing deion's way.

17. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I'm taking primetime. He's by far the best cover corner ever which is the most IMPORTANT aspect of the postion. But Woodson was the better football player and better overall DB. He could play any postion in the secondary. But strictly talking about corner, it's no argument that prime is the guy.

18. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Not even close...Woodson! Sanders didn't even attempt to tackle, and played like a Girl imo...Speed out the Ass, but he was a pansy....

Except when it came to women...He liked to get pyshical with them...F*** him!

• Like Like x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Really...LoL. I can tell You never watch Him play. Guess Who the 1st TD pass of the SB XXX by the Steelers was thrown against??

• Like Like x 2
  20. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    One play doesn't define his whole career and it was like a Lil 5 yard pass. Acting like he got burned deep or something.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    If we're team building I'm taking sanders all day.
    They are both HOFers so it's going to be close.

In 2022 give me deion. I get to forget about a player. The game is now is 10 on 10.

My preference would b to play more man than zone so gimme the guy more inclined to play man.

I'd be happy either way though.

• Informative Informative x 1
  22. Dagmire

Dagmire Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Holy homerism… did I actually read someone call Woodson a better athlete?? I would run out of L’s and O’s if I had to type out the hysterically inaccuracy of that statement. Sanders was the better corner and it’s not even close… oh but he couldn’t tackle!!! He didn’t have to cause they never threw more than a few times in his general direction.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Oh so only deep passes matter. LoL.
    So let me get this straight....D. Sanders was the greatest corner ever....unless...
    1. He had 2 tackle
    2. He had 2 cover inside slants routes, and ....
    3. Unless they were short passes.....LoL....
    Yeah sounds like the greatest ever. LoL
    So many just repeat what they hear.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So You want 2 play more man against more running Qbs????

25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    That’s fair. Was going to say the same but I’d still take Woodson.

Sanders literally took away half the field but all around football player, Woodson was better. Any team would be lucky to have either.

• Agree Agree x 2