1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Giants may cut James Bradberry Should Steelers go after him?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, May 6, 2022.

1. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    i agree

2. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    He has been to a pro bowl. Plus he plays on tema with no pass rush. That tells me his skills are underrated. Plus I like his size.

• Like Like x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I doubt the Steelers will be interested in him, the price will likely be too high.

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Debbie Downer. LoL

5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers don't care about defense. Draft was all about offense.

6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. Please don't get Me even started about that.
    I'd draft nothing but Defense if it was left up 2 Me. We would win every game by a couple of field goals. Maybe a play action pass every once in a while. LoL.
    People say ....Well You got 2 put up points.....I say....how about stopping them from scoring.
    Is it Me .....,or When this team could put up points on the regular....We would then just get beat 42 - 40, 45 - 42, or 52 - 49. LoL
    The more We scored....the more We allowed 2 be scored. :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    the offense needed built. we lost the qb, center, 2 guard's, a left and right tackle, wr's, te's and RB's in the last few years. we have mixed up most drafts and still have a pretty good core defense. we added a lot on defense and offense in free agency as well.

defense: free agency added-- 2 corners, 2 safeties, 5 linebackers, 1 D-lineman. drafted: 1 D-Lineman, 1 LB.

offense: 1, QB, 2 centers, 1 guard, 1 tackle, 2 WR's, (1 TE- actually the very end of last year). drafted: 2 qb's, 2 WR's, 1 FB,

UDFA: defense: 2 CB's, 1 LB, 2 DL.

offense: 3 O-linemen, 2 RB's.

that's a good bit of additions. if you go back to last year, we added a lot more too. :cool:

Last edited: May 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  8. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
  9. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I am with you. I love defensive focused teams. The Ben, Bell, Brown years were so frustrating. Our playoff record in those years was abysmal. Obviously a well balanced team on offense and defense is what we all desire, but until we get to that point it sure is fun having a dominant defense along the way. With that said I believe we have enough in salary cap space if we get creative to sign this guy. To me that is the lone area of weakness on the defense that is still present provided Tuitt still returns. If they believe this guy is really good it would be a perfect pickup especially with him playin next to Minkah and behind that defensive front.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    This isn't the 70s today's defenses aren't going to shut anybody down, they had a good defense in 2019, but they couldn't score.

• Like Like x 1
  11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Look at the playoff game against Kansas City, the defense did good against the Chiefs early on, the Steelers offense was inept they punted like the first seven times they had the ball :facepalm:. Now you see why the draft was offense heavy, they needed an answer at QB, and some receivers with big play ability.

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree 2 a point. Look at How low the scores turned out 2 be that Year.
    We only gave up more than 28 points one time that Year, and only 28 points twice that whole year, and We weren't even the best Defense that Year in any category except turnovers.....Yet We kept 8 teams under 18 points. Again We weren't the best D that year.
    So I can believe if We had a better defense....Yes We could still practically shut teams out. :shrug:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steel Curtain defense isn't walking through that door :rolleyes:.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    If they cut him, then maybe depending on price? I'm not sure that we can afford to ship more money into the defense than we already have. We already have the most expensive defense towards the cap in the league and that's before the Minkah highest paid S deal looming on the horizon. We have 3 solid corners, but our depth is... well what it was last year. Maulet and Norwood are dime back potentially (with Kazee) plus depth on the inside. Any outside CB getting hurt would see Sutton moved outside and Norwood/Maulet splitting inside duties. If they are dead set on signing at the CB position, I would assume they would go after a back up outside player to push Layne and Pierre for their roster spot. Haden would be about the only guy I see us taking with the idea that he could be a starter at CB. I doubt they are looking to add CB1 at the moment. I would rather see us look at the back up T position with a player that could possibly push Moore and Chuks. I think we are okay with interior back ups with Leglue, Hassenauer, and Green moving back to guard.

TBH I would think back up Tackle and back up outside corner are the only spots I think we are relatively weak at. Maybe we can pick up a better RB2? Everywhere else we look pretty good. I would assume we take one more shot at a vet FA after the draft and then roll into the offseason with what we have. If we have any other perceived holes in our depth after camp, we can look to roster cuts to help shore that up.

15. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    You make a lot of sense with what you are saying and traditionally that is exactly how the Steelers operate. I don’t mind have the highest paid defense in the league as long as they perform like it. Plus with a very young offense we can afford to put money into the defense right now. I just wish the Steelers would venture out a little bit from the norm and take a calculate risk. Having a #1 CB would significantly enhance this defense in my mind. The only weak spot or at least questionable spot would be ILB but hopefully Mack performs and Bush returns to form. Outside of backup tackle we still need some depth at OLB unless they feel strongly that Avery is the answer there.

• Like Like x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Especially not drafting for it......You are correct. You ,and I both know our SS, and CBs are not number ones on anybody team.
    I get it though.....people love points.....just not Me.
    I rather beat a team 10- 0, 14- 3, or 21- 7 any freaking day than....42- 40, but Hey ......That's just Me.:thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I doubt that there are any tackles out there to push Moore, and Chuks.

18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Newsflash: you can't have a pro bowl player at every position :shrug:. They already have one of the most expensive defenses in the league, the Rams won the Super Bowl they don't have a shutdown defense, you need at least a middle of the pack defense that can make the timely splash play on defense.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I don't know what they think about Avery, but I do believe he was a strong acquisition. I agree with what you are saying about the young offense allowing us to put that money into the defense. While I agree that a #1 corner would benefit the defense, I also see why they are a bit cautious about making a play like that.

TBH, I think this year is a "let's see" year in that it will be a measuring stick on how aggressive we need to be in the next draft and FA cycle. If our team isn't very good, we will likely stick with the draft and traditional "Steeler FA" signings. This means we wont handcuff ourselves with any bad contracts when we aren't competing, so we can go spend our money better when we have a chance to compete for the AFCN and NFL Titles. However, if we are good, I think that highly increases our odds of making aggressive FA moves (or internal FA moves) to try to compete and win. It will largely stem from the progression of Kenny Pickett. If he starts this year and looks like the next big thing for the Steelers, I would assume we go make those moves to let him grow into the great player we think he can be with lots of weapons at his disposal and a great defense (like how we did with Ben). If he doesn't look good and is more of a project, I am sure that we would be more cautious...

I like the aggression on going out and trying to make something work, but we aren't just this offseason away from contending. I think this will be a tremendous building block year and can set us up to contend in the future. Big money contracts to outside players can turn out to go south, and I would hate to have 10-15 million or more handcuffed to a bad contract situation that we have to buy out of when we could be using that money for someone else to begin our "window" to be competitive.

20. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Eric Fisher is still available. I'm sure he would be a starter over one of those two. Other names include Nate Solder, Darryl Williams, and Riley Reiff. Idk if any of them are all that great... but for a year and just to have as a swing Tackle to keep our starters honest maybe worth a shot. But yeah, aside from that its a heap of garbage. Banner is still available, but who knows if he will ever be healthy. It is what it is.

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    And....We dont.....We have a pro bowl player at a total of 3 positions....out 11. So....:shrug:....
    I Love How You bring up the Rams....Like they are the only team ever 2 win a SB ...like only the last SB counts., but since You are let's look at it.... So we have 3 probowl player on D.....While the Rams had 7, or 8 players on Defense that have played in pro Bowls. I'd say big Difference. :shrug:
    We were last in rushing Defense last year 32nd....
    The Rams 6th. Again big difference. Shall I go on???
    Needless 2 say ....We were 20 , or below in every Defensive category...except sacks ,and passing yards, but Why pass on a team when You can run all over them.:shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    In the season closer, the Ravens ran for 249 against the Steelers, and still lost.
    Being able to run on a team is a useful weapon, but don't act like it is a decisive advantage.

The top 4 rushing teams last year (by yards) were the Eagles, Colts, Ravens, and Browns.
    (Those teams were also top 5 in yards per rushing attempt.)
    Three of those teams didn't make the playoffs, and the Eagles were crushed in their first round.

Same thing with defense.
    Spending all the team resources to make a great defense, at the expense of the offense, is a questionable strategy.
    In 2018, the Bears and Ravens were the top 2 defenses.
    They held opposing teams to less than 18 points on average, more than a full point per game better than the 3rd place team.
    They both lost their first playoff game.
    In 2019, the top 4 defenses were the Patriots, Bills, Ravens, and Bears.
    The Bears failed to make the playoffs, and the other 3 teams all lost their first playoff game.

Even when the Steelers had the Steel Curtain, they still gave up 24 points to the Raiders in 1976, and 34 points to the Broncos in 1977.

Last edited: May 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    without a good offense, you give the other team more chances. we had ton's of 3 and outs last year. of course we were down in defensive rankings because the defense gets tired. it's not that the defense was that bad but the offense not good enough. they do go hand in hand. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  24. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

I think the minka contract is going to end up being for a lot less money than people expect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Going to a Pro Bowl ain't what it used to be. I live in New York, so I've seen and heard plenty about him. He had one really good season for the Giants, then regressed. Sure, some of that was the crappy pass rush, so he would look a little better with Watt, Heyward, and company putting on the pressure in front of him. He is better than what the Steelers' have right now, but he's not anything special.

• Like Like x 2