1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My Steelers draft analysis

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, May 1, 2022.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Leal looks more like an OLB in the 3-4, than a DE.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Cole has started 39 games in the NFL, including the game last season in which the Vikings' offensive line shoved the Steelers all over the place. He is competent, which puts him well ahead of what we saw from Green last season. Remember how much better the line looked once they replaced Green with Hassenauer late last season. This guy is a little better than Hassenauer, so there should be improvement.

Don't get me wrong. I would have rather had Linderbaum, too, but they did upgrade the position.

Daniels can also play center if they need him there, though I'm sure their preference is to keep him at guard.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He is too slow for that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I wanted Jones as well. I don’t believe the Steelers value NT much. Akiem Hicks is still a free agent, if we were truly concerned about the NT position we could bring him in. The Steelers like penetrating DT’s ... gone are the days of the traditional NT’s and DE’s of the 3-4. With that being said we have the wrong type of MLB’s for penetrating defensive lineman. Bush is meant to be behind a defensive line that will keep guards off of him. With the type of defensive line we have and what we ask them to do we really need bigger linebackers that are capable of getting off of blocks themselves. We are not asking our defensive lineman to maintain multiple blockers. We are asking our defensive lineman to maintain gap integrity which often requires them to penetrate their assigned gap. The problem with that style is it is feast or famine. You can blow up a play for a loss or if the running back has good vision he can cut it back or bounce it out and hopefully the linebackers are there to make the stop. Leo Chenal would have been the perfect middle linebacker for us but for some reason we value these small fast middle linebackers. I initially wasn’t excited about this draft but after understanding what the Steelers are trying to do, I really love both WR picks. George Pickens has a chance to be a true #1 for us and it does not marry us to a signing a big contract to Dionte if we don’t want too. Calvin Austin if he taps into his potential and we use him right could be another Tyreek Hill, he is way more than a gadget guy. Guy is a legit WR. Their measurable and RAS Score are almost identical. A guy like that makes the QB much better because he is always open. These guys can also have a huge impact on the run offense by merely stretching the field. All of this is predicated on the QB’s being good enough to see the field and spread the ball around. With all of this being said you watch the impact of Tyreek Hill not being in KC has on Mahomes. I don’t think he will be nearly as good without Hill. Kind of like Ben without Brown. I did not like Leal at all initially. I feel like he isn’t big enough and for his size I felt like he was very average RAS Score wise. Time will tell on if they can develop him. The last three picks were a waste in my mind. We already have a decent FB that we don’t use. We already have a bunch of developmental MLB. The QB could have been had in UDFA. Would have liked to have seen a CB and developmental Tackle amongst those last three picks.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

You're talking about a 1 yr difference..... Bottom line is that Alualu is on the back end of his career, and we missed a golden opportunity for a seemless transition... Travis Jones didn't just fall into our laps... He practically walked into the room and gave Mike Tomlin a lap dance, and the coach pushed him off

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    We don’t value big run stuffing NT’s anymore. Tomlin wants fast, quick penetrating NT hybrids that can also play DT and DE in our system. Travis Jones was never an option for us. The Steelers first priority on defense is always going to be rushing the passer and stopping the pass. That is the nature of todays NFL and teams just don’t want to waste a draft pick on a two down player. Based on this logic I don’t know why more offenses don’t go back to smash mouth football with a hulking offensive line and a power run game because it seems to me it would and should be easy to run on todays NFL defenses. I still am of the belief you need a large NT and a thumper at linebacker in the middle. We are doing no service to Bush at MLB with the way are Defensive line is set up. Heck even Farrior wouldn’t have done well at MLB the way our defense is set up.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. blackandgoldpatrol

Dec 5, 2011

Well, it certainly was easy to run on us, and it hurt our pass defense, because Minkah had to be used up front to help our feeble run D....
    These are the type of drafts that can make or break a coaching tenure

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Oh. :thumbs_up:

9. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Great. You are a party pooper.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Teryl Austin and Colbert talked about Leal gaining weight, he needs to put on 10-15 pounds and he will be big enough to play DE in the 3/4.

• Like Like x 1
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think Jones was ever in their plans, they didn't send any scouts to his pro day.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Who is saying this

13. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I was hoping he would be Terrell Suggs 2.0....but for Steelers. Didn't Suggs play OLB and DE for Ravens?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Yup. Just ask my students. :)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Nothing official, but when #7 is saying you probably should be moved to Guard, and also local Steelers Analysts close to the team are saying the same thing ... I'd say it is pretty much a given he will see significant time there in camp. I don't think he starts out running with the 1's at Center. I highly suspect he'll have to win the job if he wants to remain at Center.

• Like Like x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Just how I see it as well. For that matter, Mike Tomlin is not hiding his intentions of either Leal or Loudermilk. If anything.... it is almost as if Tomlin is essentially betting on Loudermilk to take the next leap thar Tuitt did in 2015.

I do believe in Isaiah's talent; doubly so after his finish to his Rookie Campaign. I hope I am wrong about Leal. One aspect for certain though I can now confirm;

Leal = Heyward Copy

Loudermilk = Tuitt Copy

Their playstyles are not the only aspect that is similar; their dimensions too. My question is can they rival or even surpass their predecessors?! Only one way to find out!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Should push come to shove, he could lose weight and become one. Preston Smith level transformation there. However, remember he did weigh 295lbs as a consensus five star recruit in high school.

No reason to believe he cannot work himself up back to that again.

• Like Like x 1
  18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

He was not.

Karl Dunbar was not at his Pro Day. Therefore, Travis Jones was not going to be a Steeler. Had a feeling that Leal would not be. I hope he can prove me wrong.

19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Me personally, I would swap those...

Leal looks to be faster than Loudermilk, just judging by what I have seen so far. And, If I had to kick one inside it would be Loudermilk, similar to Heyward.

Leal = Tuitt Copy
    Loudermilk = Heyward Copy

20. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Then he continued to fall to the middle of the 3rd round. Obviously no body liked him in round 2 and half the teams didn't like him in round 3.

21. blackandgoldpatrol

Dec 5, 2011

Come on man..... Do you really need that much of a history lesson???

How many people didn't want Tom Brady multiple times over..... What about Antonio Brown, among a host of others... Our own Steelers have been masters of finding great players in the later rounds and as UDFA'S... Matt Fieler, James Harrison etc.... Just because someone was passed on, doesn't mean it wasn't a mistake... We see it all the time when sports writers print their re-drafts every yr and we see late rounders that should've been first rounders.,.... Whether Travis Jones was on the team's radar or not, it was a mistake to pass on him

Last edited: May 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That remains to be seen. Those re-drafts also remove guys who were actually taken in the first round.

The Steelers had a need at receiver. I get the love for Jones, but this implication that Pickens didn't make sense for them is silly.

• Like Like x 1
  23. blackandgoldpatrol

Dec 5, 2011

I never said Pickens didn't make sense... If you read my whole post, you'll see where I reasoned that Jones was the more pressing need as there was no other viable choice at the position, while there were still quality wr's available later...... In fact I said it was a decent pick, and graded it a B+

• Like Like x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They were going to draft two receivers. Also, just because there were other options remaining doesn't mean they weren't a significant drop-off from Pickens. I'm guessing, based on the way they play defense now, Pickens will have much more opportunity to make an impact than Jones would have had.

• Like Like x 1
  25. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Colbert gets a a C for this draft at best but probably should be a D. The weakest part of the team by far was the OL last year and they did zilch in the draft to address it. Adding 2 average FAs before the draft is not going to fix it. Why wasn't this a priority for the FO in the draft this year.