1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to the Steelers Kenny Pickett

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Apr 28, 2022.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    4A86B64C-28D3-4D41-BFD5-4EC5EAC8AE8D.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Rest of the league has spoken as well about what they think of this class the same. That said, getting a QB on the right team to set him up for success is a lot more important than just getting the QB. Given how much Pittsburgh has invested on the Offensive Side of the ball not just in the draft but also in Free Agency... I do like that Kenny will be in better standing than the likes of Mac Jones, Zach Wilson, Justin Fields and even Trevor Lawrence (major outlier here to be honest) were during their rookie seasons.

Have to give these QBs a chance to succeed. This year's playoff teams and never mind NFC and AFC Representatives drive this point home even further. Kenny will have all of what he needs to succeed early and often. It is just a matter of how quickly he can acclimate himself to the game; something that I do not believe will take him as long as others expect.

5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Again, this is the absolute best case scenario here. For that matter, this is the hope. If he can turn out like Burrow... nabbing a Franchise QB at pick 20 is a grand slam.

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Mason Rudolph!!!

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:roflmao:

Spit up some of my Pepsi reading this!!! :drinks:

• Like Like x 2
  8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

No other Rookie since either. Dak Prescott's Rookie Campaign though comes pretty close. Mac Jones' one was one that was fading fast by seasons end.

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I got Derek Carr level vibes with Pickett. Dream scenario is Joe Burrow. Either way, let us hope that Pickett does indeed become like Burrow for that would benefit the Steelers very much.

10. 88Unstoppable82

88Unstoppable82 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2021
    If you mean like Frelund, then I agree, she gets my enthusiasm up, too. But shhhh, don't tell my wife.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    The thing I worry about is since the time we drafted Ben Roethlisberger we haven’t had much success with any other quarterback that’s been drafted since. Now I know those weren’t guys who we expected to be full-time starters, but they were all disappointments nonetheless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    His style is more like Burrow, but Carr isn't a bad comp. It wouldn't be a bad return on a first-round pick, either.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    A good review to make those of us uneasy feel a little better. I surprisingly never looked at the draft networks review of him, one of my go to sources. The only thing that dampens this for me is the player comp (not shown in this review but on their website) Andy Dalton :puking2:He better be better than that.

Kenny Pickett is an experienced and accomplished quarterback that had a meteoric rise in 2021, elevating his draft stock significantly along the way. A four-year starter, Pickett leaves Pittsburgh as the school’s all-time leading passer and he re-wrote the record books. Pickett brings good size, mobility, accuracy, poise, toughness, and leadership to the table. He is a terrific vertical passer that can work off-script and make things happen with his legs. He has terrific command and confidence running the offense and does a wonderful job of blending an aggressive mentality with consistently working his progressions and generally making good decisions with the football.

His ascension as a prospect wasn’t due to a new offensive coaching staff or influx of talent around him. He’s had the same offensive coordinator since 2019 and a modest supporting cast. Pickett’s own improvements as a player and mastery of the system are the reason why he elevated his game. The system he ran didn’t include cheap production in the form of manufactured throws, Pickett simply worked his progressions and dealt all season long en route to a historically good campaign. His process is synched up and coordinated, his upper and lower half are in unison, and he does a great job of getting himself aligned to throw the ball with consistency. He navigates the pocket and appears unbothered by chaos around him.

When it comes to areas of concern entering the next level, his small hands and reconciling his elite 2021 season against a considerably large sample size of modest play is something to be considered. Pickett will also turn 24 before the start of his rookie season. While Pickett showcased good ball placement in 2021, there are some misfires and the ball can sail on him. In addition, he is guilty of aggressive decisions both in terms of slotting throws but also in how he navigates the pocket and addresses pressure. If 2021 is an indication of what Pickett can be moving forward, then there is no doubt about his ability to become a franchise quarterback in the NFL. With that said, blending all the layers of the evaluation together makes Pickett an interesting case study.

Ideal Role: Starting quarterback

Scheme Fit: Spread

FILM EVALUATION

Written by Joe Marino

Games watched: North Carolina State (2020), Clemson (2020), Virginia Tech (2020), Florida State (2020), Tennessee (2021), Clemson (2021), Virginia (2021), North Carolina (2021), Miami (2021), Duke (2021)

Best Game Studied: Duke (2021)

Worst Game Studied: Clemson (2020)

Accuracy: See Above.

Decision Making: There’s a lot to like about how Pickett blends an aggressive, gunslinger’s mentality and playing within the rules of the play. He generally picks good spots to take chances and for the most part, goes to the correct place with the football within his progression. With that said, he can be overconfident in both his arm talent and pocket mobility and he isn’t immune to some risky decisions with the football.

Poise: See Above.

Progressions: One of my favorite components of Pickett’s glow up in 2021 is that it didn’t come with cheap production. Pickett was tasked with being a progression-style passer and he worked them, showcasing good anticipatory skills and the ability to exhaust progressions. His comfort surveying the field and letting it rip is impressive.

Release: It’s impressive how Pickett marries everything together in terms of his upper and lower half, combined with his decision-making and overall sequencing with his process, which leads to a very consistent release. He has multiple clubs in the bag and knows how to use them. He is efficient.

Pocket Manipulation: Pickett has good mobility and movement within the pocket and he’s comfortable navigating while keeping his eyes down the field. He isn’t often guilty of leaving a clean pocket and he almost always looks comfortable with how he negotiates the pocket. Perhaps there are some instances of him being too comfortable in the pocket, but he never appears bothered by chaos around him.

Arm Strength: Pickett won’t be confused as having a rocket launcher attached to right shoulder, but he has good arm strength. He frequently slots the football on outbreaking routes to the field and zips the ball into windows with good velocity. He is a terrific vertical passer that doesn’t have to dig deep to find the juice needed to drive it down the field.

Mobility: Pickett isn’t a “sneaky” good athlete that can work off-script and rip off chunks of yards with his legs, it’s obvious that he’s an athlete when watching him play. Pickett has easy movement skills and twitch that helps him navigate the pocket, but also has the athleticism to work outside of structure and scramble. While he wasn’t often used on designed runs at Pitt, his mobility is a notable strength of his game and he picks his spots well in terms of when to take off with the football on a passing play.

Leadership: See Above.

Mechanics: Pickett does a good job of getting himself aligned to throws, which leads to consistent results. His process is synched up, but he’s also able to speed up his process when necessary and find a quick platform and trigger to get the ball out. There are no glaring concerns when it comes to Pickett’s mechanics.

• Like Like x 2
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  15. kicker_twentyone

kicker_twentyone Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2020
    I have the perfect nickname for Kenny :

Pittkett

16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Somebody needs to do a back to the future photograph with Pickett mason and tribuisky, but with mason fading lol

17. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This thread has a new Steelers QB, Primus, Victor Wooten and gothic cathedrals.

I rate the season so far A+

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  18. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Speaking of Rush/Geddy Lee.... I own a Rickenbacker 4003 and G&L Tribute Jazz Bass. :guitarplayer:

Limelight is one of my favorite riffs to noodle around on.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Nice.

I've been thinking about buy one of those short scale Stingrays. Sterling, not Ernie Ball. I can't affort that.

• Like Like x 1
  20. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    HA! My flagship bass is an Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray 5 HH. Took me a while to pay it off... thank the gods for zero interest payment plans.

• Like Like x 2
  21. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I always wanted a Rickenbacker Guitar.

23. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    A G&L is on my wishlist.
    My main bass is a Lakland Skyline, basically a jazz with soap bar pick ups.

24. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I have 2 imported/Indonesian G&L's which are better quality than Mexican Fenders. The aforementioned Jazz bass and a Tribute LB-100... a Precision "P" bass. Laklands are super nice basses!

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I don’t understand any of this and it still sounds cool.