1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hindsight 2022 NFL Draft - Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, May 2, 2022.

1. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    I think Colbert and company blew it this year. This is how I would have drafted given hindsight. You can only pick players picked after the actual pick.

1 (20) - Tyler Linderbaum (C). Kendrick Green showed he wasn't the answer at center last season. He got blown into the backfield with regularity. I think he can still be a serviceable guard but Linderbaum will turn into a 10 year starter and perennial Pro Bowler at center.
    2 (52) - Travis Jones (DT). This kid is a pure NT and the best one in the draft. He could be our next Casey Hampton. Alualu is 36 years old and we don't have any run stuffing NT on the roster.
    3 (84) - Malik Willis (QB). I think he has the most upside of any QB in the draft and he has value in round 3. Given we have Trubisky who can bridge for a year or two we can let Willis learn and develop.
    4 (138) - Khalil Shakir (WR) - coachable, tough, hard worker. He would have been the closest thing to Hines Ward since 86 hung it up.
    6 (208) - Picking a current player's brother to play a position we don't even use and are currently paying another player's brother NOT to play is asinine. Nepotism in its purest form. I take CB Derion Kendrick from Georgia. We badly need CB depth.
    7 (225) - Thayer Munford (OT) Ohio State - we always needs OT depth and Munford is a huge body who started 4 years at Ohio State.
    7 (241) - Andre Anthony (DE) LSU - Can always use pass rush depth to bolster TJ. Anthony has good size and super long arms. Played in the tough SEC. Definitely worth a 7th round flyer.

Last edited: May 2, 2022
  2. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    I used to want Linderbaum, but after watching Green struggle with his short arms (he has other issues as well, but the arms are a big one), my enthusiasm waned. There's a reason Linderbaum went where he did. He's ideally built for a team that runs zone blocking schemes and the Steelers don't.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They only blew it if Pickett is a bust.

One thing I will say is they should have tried to trade back and still grab Pickett when they saw him dropping. There was no one behind them that would have taken him in the back end of the first. Who knows, maybe they tried but I doubt it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Not sure Green's arm length was his issue playing C. From what I saw, he seemed to be too much focused on snapping and was always about 1/2 second behind getting his arms up to block. That affected his leverage and put him on his heels too much. That should have been expected putting a guy who wasn't an experienced C into the fire. A rook playing C in the NFL who only had limited experience playing the position in college was a total bonehead bush league move, IMO. Linderbaum is a proven and experienced C who played the position in the Big 10. Big difference.

• Like Like x 2
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So by what You said ....Do You think Green will be better at center this year??

• Like Like x 1
  6. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    Yeah, I am usually hopeful the Steelers will trade back 3 or 5 or 8 picks and grab an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder. I am envious of the teams that do that every two or three years, still get their guy and get that extra shot at an impact player. given our limited picks past two years, trading back would have been a worthy risk. Maybe they did try, but given all the trades like that around them, I seriously doubt it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    I would certainly hope so. Seems to be strong enough and smart enough.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I hate replying to any thread started by Benny because they are all designed to troll the board, but I got curious.

I understand this take, but I also get why the Steelers didn't do it. Let's assume Jerry Dulac was right and Pickett was the only quarterback they would have considered in the first round. Let's also assume Colbert was telling the truth when he said that he was their guy all along and they were surprised he made it to them. So you have a quarterback they believe is the long-term answer. They thought he would be gone before their pick, but he fell into their laps at 20. I just don't think you can risk some other team trading back into the first round to take him. If you the quarterback you want is there, you don't mess around. You take him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Can't call nothing a bust this early. Pretty sure when Brady was picked in 6th round Pat fans didn't think much of it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Benny Lava

Sep 16, 2019
    Strong enough? Unless he gained 40 pounds of muscle during the off season I don't think this will be the case. How many times last season did he get blown 5 yards into the backfield right after the snap?

11. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

Green is a converted G with about 3-4 games of experience at C...... Linderbaum isn't converting to anything..... He is a C, and played the position at a higher level than anyone else

12. Benny Lava

Sep 16, 2019
    He also coming is from the best school for producing NFL OL...Iowa.

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He’s plenty strong gym wise, he needs core strength

14. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    The '04 draft paid dividends and Steelers only got 2 good players... Roethlisberger and Starks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

Unfortunately, now we have to face him twice a year

16. 88Unstoppable82

88Unstoppable82 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2021
    I certainly don't think the Steelers blew it. Not just days after the draft, before any of these guys has even been in a practice, much less a game. That said, I think your draft would have the potential to be a good one, too. I would have taken Lloyd instead of Linderbaum, but other than that, I think you have some quality picks there.

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I didn’t see this reply before responding to another post of yours. I said something similar about not messing around but I think it would have been safe to drop back just a few spots. Detroit had already moved up past the Steeler by that point and still didn’t take Willis.

It’s just my belief but I don’t think any other team was high on these Qb’s including Pickett, certainly not enough to trade back into the first. They had their chances to take him without giving up draft capital.

18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Possibly, but as I wrote elsewhere, there are degrees to this. Is he a top-10 guy? No. But would they want him in the 20s? That is an entirely different matter.

19. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    This OP is unbearable.
    Perhaps the Steelers should just hire him.

upload_2022-5-3_13-33-26.jpeg

20. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    He wasn't getting pushed back because of lack of strength. It was more technique, which can/should be coached. Most of what I saw was him not getting leverage and being more off balance. IMO, this was because he was learning to snap, which made him behind by just enough that the DL would get the jump on him. Green has the physical qualities and measurables.

21. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    OP is just pure speculation, last season the pre-season expected contenders of the super bowl..... only 1/2 actually made the playoffs. It's way way to early to go calling players a bust or decide there were better options. Just chill, sit back with a beer and watch how it all unfolds..... it might mean several years without commenting.... but it's a sacrifice many are willing to make. :) I always like to go back and look at James Harrison's career for a different perspective.

22. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I can see a logic I that, but you never know if someone is going to trade in front of you trade back to far. I'm glad they did not move up as well. They stayed the course and he fell to them. I hope it works, but give credit for working the plan.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I don't think Green sees the center position this year. I think this is the correct Depth Chart of the Center position.
    upload_2022-5-3_14-16-49.png

Green's way back to the starting lineup in 2022 does not go through Center.

Last year's 2nd round pick should have been Creed Humphrey; most people assumed it was going to be when the Steelers were on the clock. He would have completely changed the offensive line for the Steelers.

OF course if we had taken Creed, instead of Muth, we would have been S.O.L when Ebron tanked again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It was expecting a lot for a guy to learn a new position he had really never played. And to do it at the top level of football. Like you said learning the snap, was he also calling the line adjustment? New O. So much to learn and do in the moment. Im.not convinced he is NFL C caliber. I do think he can be a decent G. At least see what the off season prep does.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 4, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1