1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Chris Simms Top 5 QB’s

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Allen wasn't so much raw as he had major mechanical issues. He was the very rare quarterback who fixes those at the NFL level.

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Do You not read my post. Just because I said they are not worth a 1st round pick doesn't mean I think they are a bust.
    Really what sense does that make???
    If that was true everyone should only draft 1st round, and then stop drafting. :shrug:
    I said 1st rounders should be able 2 start....Do You honestly believe that there will be no players left at 20 in the 1st round that could step in and start????
    Those are the player that the 1st round should be for. Not a player We hope can start next year , or later. Those are for later rounds, or if You just came off a SB , and your roster is so great You can have players sit.......Not a team that was ranked in the 20s on Defense, and Offense.
    Hey we ranked below 20 on both sides of the ball....let's draft a player in the 1st that has 2 sit for a year , or 2.
    Great Idea :thumbs_up:

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    So if you don’t think they will be busts and the Steelers need a QB then why wouldn’t you take them in the first? It’s the most important position by far, you can’t expect they’d still be there at the Steelers second pick.

I think you do think they will be busts but don’t want to say it for some reason. Who gives a **** if you are wrong, who cares. It’s not like I won’t serve you crow anyway if there are several QB’s that hit in the draft :lolol:

4. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    History shows that a lot of 1ST ROUND qbs never reach the potential or are outright busts. If we are honest it is likely about the same for every position as well. We can shake our heads at Jones being taken at 6, or Packers moving up for Love, but also wonder why Ben dropped to us or how Marino and Rodgers dropped as far as they did. The system, franchise, and coaching are a huge part of player development. Yes some are just that good, yet suffer through years of horrible organizational management. It really is a crapshoot.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly. It’s why in recent years I had stopped arguing about draft picks but I mistakenly allowed myself to get sucked in this year.

It’s stupid debating on whether a player will make it in the pros, no amount of tape watching will guarantee who will and who wont make it. So many variables go into it, a players maturity level, his willingness to put in the work, the increase in competition faced, his intelligence to grasp pro concepts, ect. It’s why players with great tape fail all the time, likewise players with average/bad tape also will make it because they have those things I listed above.

I forget who said it but a player once explained everyone is talented at this level, if you don’t work to hone your craft, put in the hours, you won’t make it. That’s not verbatim but you get the idea.

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It isn't about guarantees. It is about probabilities. It is an inexact science, but there is science to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You have heard Me say when I don't think a Qb is good. Have You not???
    I've been preaching since the day I got on Here that ...Sam Darnold, Lamar Jackson, and Faker Mayfield....just 2 name a few weren't good....with many a disagreement.
    You would think by now knowing how superstitious I am, and How much I like this team why I'm not picking a bust this year.:shrug:
    They only real reason I'm not saying certain what Qb is a bust ....is because We may actually take one this year, and I don't want 2 jinx Him....If We take Him .....I want Him 2 be good.
    I figured You knew this.:shrug:
    Now after the Draft.....I will give My full opinion on which Qb will be a bust, but it won't be about whomever We take.
    For instance. I didn't like the T. Edmunds pick, but not one time did I say he would be a bust, because I really wanted Him 2 be good. This is the same exact thing.
    Another example: You know I didn't want a RB 1st round last year, but not once did I say N. Harris would be a bust....I said after the pick....Great pick.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Winner

9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    James Harrison floated around for a few years as an UDA. He could no break onto the Steelers and one year the Ravens because of their LB depth. He was about to give it up and a Steeler starter got injured..the rest is history. In t he NBA Ben Simmons is guaranteed 100 million plus dollars to not improve and Kyrie wants a 50 million a year guaranteed max to be the flake he is lmao.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    We don’t know ****.

11. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Looking at their highlights I have always like Corral the best. The one knock on him is his size. He plays scrappy, he is accurate and he has a quick release. You notice though he never lined up under center. They put him in shotgun so he could see over the line. I feel like he is going to be an injury risk with his slight build. I don’t think any of them are wirth the 20th pick in the first round. Pickett isn’t as good as Trubiscky, Willis has the most upside but also a lot of flaws and Chriss Simms brought up a good point...why didn’t he run the 40 at the combine. On tape he doesn’t look as fast s some of the other QB’s. As of today all the QB’s seem to look like they are sliding down the first round which would be good for the Steelers if we do actually take one. All it takes is one team to draft one though and then that will kick start the desperation.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That simply is not true. We don't know everything, but there is a lot we do know.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I meant as far as who will succeed. Too many examples of players that should have succeeded who failed and players that should have failed that succeeded. In the end it’s still a dart throw, gut feeling on who will make it.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I get what you are saying, but that simply isn't true. There is information available. It's not guaranteed, but neither is it a dart throw. Some players are more likely to succeed than others. The idea is to increase your probabilities as high as possible. That "dart throw" thinking is what leads to taking poor gambles, like Willis.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Not exactly what I meant. I spent more time pouring over film of Willis than any prospect I have in the past, my own watching of his games plus film review done by others. I feel 100% that he will be a star in this league and I’m not alone in thinking that way. Doesn’t mean a thing though. We simply do not know how these guys will pan out in the pros. That’s why you end up with busts every year.

Take Diontae Johnson, we went back and forth at each other all the way up to the season. You were sure he would struggle with press coverage and have difficulty getting open, I looked at the tape and saw a guy that easily beat press because he had a great first step and no problem getting open. He could have easily struggled in the pros because of the increase in talent/size he faced and you would have been right.

I felt Claypool would be a big star and jury is still out on that one. His first season looked like he would be but didn’t take the next step in his second season. I think there were some other things that contributed to that but he needs to put it together this year. Part of his struggles is I don’t get the feeling he works as hard as Johnson does but I have no proof of that.

I thought Harris would be a great player, that one seemed easy.

I thought Snell would be the next feature back, blew that one.

You knew Edmunds would struggle, I thought he would be much better although I mocked him in the second not the first.

So much more goes into who will succeed than just what you see on film or think you see I should say. People always see film differently.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    To be fair, what I said about Johnson was that the comparisons to Antonio Brown were ridiculous and one of his weaknesses is that he lacked Brown's strength. Johnson is great at getting open, but he's not near Brown's level.

I still don't understand the love for Willis. Yes, the arm is special, but that's it. He can be elusive, but that was mostly against vastly inferior competition. We haven't seen anything resembling the pocket presence, accuracy, and ability to read through progressions he would need to even be a mediocre pro. Just assuming those things will come in time is a dubious proposition at best.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    After seeing just one QB taken in the first and then two in the late third, I'm feeling quite vindicated about these guys values. I'm guessing Howell and Strong in the 4th, and then Zappe in the 5th.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Zappe went before Howell and Strong :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  19. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
  20. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    We have the QB to compete with Burrow and Watson and Jackson. That is a BIG deal. I am just worried about his age and adjustment to NFL at that age. Production wise he is up there with those 3 QBs.

21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

QBs these days can play well into their 40s thanks in part to the NFL rules. Now, if that QB can get that far in the NFL is of another story all together.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    I am not concerned about end of his career, but about the beginning, the adjustment to NFL at 24.

Last edited: May 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I personally am not.

Pickett comes from a Pro Style Offense; much different than what Mason did at his time at Oklahoma State. Now, how quickly can Pickett can on in terms of the more finite aspects of the NFL.... is a more legitimate concern.

• Like Like x 1
  24. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    I do not have concerns with his game, that he can be on par with Deshaun and Burrow.

25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Oddly enough.. athletically per Kent Lee Platte (Website Owner and Creator of RAS), compares Kenny's athleticism to Deshaun Watson's.

Now, as for his game, the hope for me is that he is at least Derek Carr. If he can be on the same level of Joe Burrow??... That is what is called a grand slam of a pick; a steal as he will have proven he is a Franchise QB.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1