1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin sets us back another 5 years... Pickett over Willis

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Apr 29, 2022.

1. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    A first round pick that turns out to be just average is considered a bust.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Steelers GM job is now. So why don't some of you Mel Kiper wannabee's contact the Steelers, and see if they will let you sit for the GM interview and you can impress the Steelers with your so called football and draft knowledge.

3. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    First off Mitch is a terrible QB . You guys that don't think so clearly haven't been watching any bear games since he was drafted. Maybe the worst offense in the NFL over that time period? You cant say he didn’t have chances . He also had some talent to play with in Robinson and Montegomery.

Im guessing if Pickett was taken at #20 we’d have drafted a WR or Center and gone for Willis in 2nd round . Or maybe even passed on QB and let current QB’s on the roster battle it out.

imo we should have traded ahead of the ravens and grabbed that safety. The ravens just added 2 pro bowlers in a draft that had very few high caliber players.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Why don’t we just close the message board since homers don’t like varying opinions and not agreeing with every team decision.

Seriously, how many of these rah rah team is never wrong posts are people going to make? I’ve seen a dozen of them so far.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    It's okay, they'll understand when Mitch gets extended playing time again.

6. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Ryan Tannehill is a bust?

7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It appears J. Love wasn't worth His pick either. :shrug:

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. We could say the same about any Qb, but He wasn't. I Like Pickett out of the Qbs that could have been taken available.

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Bunch of those teams You just mentioned are regretting it.

11. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    that’s not true.

12. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I just Googled and checked pro bowl players. No Ravens from the this draft are listed. You have sources for your claims?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. That was pretty good....LoL. Though I have 2 admit ....I coveted a few of those ravens picks....like probably @MadtownDruankard did...., but You are totally correct they may fail.:thumbs_up:

14. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Why is new England regretting Mac Jones? Why are the 49ers regretting trey Lance? Why are the bears regretting fields?

15. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    He wasn't worth the pick because green Bay had Rodgers and stupidly thought he was on the decline.

16. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    He's above average but he's also not good enough to take you to the superbowl. He did make a pro bowl, win come back player of the year, and his last few seasons have been very good.

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    A bunch of reports are coming out by players that both Lance doesn't have it....same with J. Love.... I didn't say all the teams ...I believe I said a bunch...so 2 teams out of 4 is a bunch 2 me.

18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Lance has barely played so how are they saying that? And who is saying that? https://www.google.com/amp/s/fansid...kittle-trey-lance-review-josh-allen-comp/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nb...-round-1?amp#scso=_x8tuYpa6I8rj_AaKh6rABQ31:0

https://www.google.com/amp/s/vervetimes.com/gm-john-lynch-49ers-believe-qb-trey-lance-is-ready/amp/

So again what are you talking about with Lance?

In terms of love he barely has played but its a bad pick because he won't ever see the field for them because Rodgers is still playing at an all time level. Had Rodgers retired or fell completely off then the pick looks ok.

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Just going by what they have said about both on Speak For Yourself....E. Acho, and M. Wiley...both have said from contacts of players they have with the teams....both that I have mentioned....players on those teams have told them this is what they have seen during practice.

20. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    The players are not ones who draft for one. They aren't the ones who regret a team drafting someone. That's the coach, gm, and front office who all are behind Lance 100%. So again what you're saying true and also I've heard wiley and ocho say THEY DONT THINK the niners should start Lance. Not that the players and practice don't think they.

On love you're right but again until he plays we can't judge. Rodgers early on had the have his whole throwing delivery comeptlely changed along with his mechanics. He was bad early on in practice. Until love plays a game his play can't really say why it wa sa regret. Again it's a regret because Rodgers is still the qb of the team years later and love never will get a chance to play for the packers as the guy.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That is why the actual result is even more instructive than normal. I just don't see evidence that Pickett had a third-round grade. Maybe there are teams out there that had such an opinion of him, but the evidence isn't there.

There is clearly evidence that teams had Willis with a third-round grade. That is where he was taken.

As I've said since he was taken, I would have been happy with them passing on Pickett for Hill or Linderbaum, then taking one of the other quarterbacks in the third round. That said, I am absolutely fine with the decision to draft Pickett. I think that is exactly where he belonged, late in the first round. The Steelers seem to love the guy. No NFL team knows him better. If you have any faith at all in Colbert and Tomlin at all, it is hard to argue with the pick. It is even harder to argue that it was a reach, which seems to be what some here are doing. The available evidence just doesn't back that up. Just because one player falls farther than expected doesn't mean the other guy at the same position would have done the same, especially when they are so different.

22. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Ok so it's over... I thought the whole point of getting Mitch was not to be forced to draft a QB this year. Turns out 31 teams didn't value any of the QBs in this draft. I think Pickett probably goes in the 2nd.

So it's safe to say we could've got Linderbaum, Pickens, and Willis. I think that would've been better big picture but I hope I'm proven wrong. I wish Phil Jurkovec didn't go back to college and we could've drafted him in like the 7th round. I think he would've been a better prospect than Pickett.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly. I mean CBS must have been free basing while making those rankings but there was no clear number 1 this draft class. Those were just the top results that came back on my first search, I’m sure I could find a lot more rankings proving that further.

I think Pickett slides out the first as well if Steelers don’t choose him. I don’t think teams were enamored with any of these QB’s outside of the Steelers.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Exactly. I don't think he goes in the 3rd but definitely not the first if Pitt doesn't take him.

25. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Niners traded alot for Lance

Packers drafted Love when they still had prime Rodgers with at least another 5 years of prime left

Patriots drafted Mac Jones because Belichick wants robots and Saban signed off on him.

Steelers drafted the best QB in the draft in the late 1st round without giving up jack ****...

You see the differences?