1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Draft impressions

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel_Elvis, Apr 30, 2022.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    We didn’t trade up to draft a quarterback…SUCCESS!

It’s fun to speculate, but we can give this draft the same grade we can give every draft…incomplete. I like that we got a quarterback who has a chance to make a successful transition to the NFL. We also drafted a couple of nice weapons at the WR position. We’ll see about the DL but seems solid.

The one thing that all of the poking and prodding and measuring and timing can’t measure is what kind of heart and desire these guys have. I think it’s safe to say that all of the players drafted have the physical talent to play in the NFL in some capacity, but how many of them are willing to do the extra work and go the extra mile day in and day out and persevere through the grind. Time will tell what kind of heart these guys have and it’s up to the coaches and the veteran players to either make these guys or break them. I hope in a few years we’re giving this draft class an A+, but for now it’s incomplete.

Last edited: May 1, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Pickens is my favorite pick, the WR room is going to be really good, especially with Claypool moving too the slot. I like the Leal pick, too.

Everything after the 3rd has me saying wtf.

Pickett, what can I say, we are in a QB loaded division, hope he can be the next coming of Marino.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Ya, but they still have a QB who doesn't know how to read a defense or pass accurately. And they removed his #1 receiver to boot.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Disastrous draft, an F. Bottom 3. We did better than the Rams and the Dolphins and that is it and only because we took Pickett.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I agree with most of this. The Heyward pick is growing on me. I really did want them to draft him, but I thought it would be later.

Wouldn't it be a hell of a think if Pickett works out and Colbert set the Steelers up at quarterback for the next decade-plus in his final draft?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I think he would be more of a Montana type, but I'm with you on all of this but Leal and Austin. I don't like the Leal pick, but I think Austin is a good fit now that I've had time to learn a bit more about him.

Time for this board to come back together and root for all of these guys, even the picks we disagree with.

• Like Like x 3
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    We had a ton of holes. Can’t address everything in one season. Offense was atrocious….

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Here is my take: I do not trust the OC to put in competent game plans. If I am wrong on this point, then we will be seeing an offense that is running the ball to set up play action and RPOs. If this happens the team will be competitive.

I understand the Trubisky signing, but I doubt if he gets a fair shot now. I was excited by the way he showed leadership with the Florida get together and was hoping to see what he learned on the sidelines in Buffalo. Trubisky and Pickett may be the same guy, so I wish the Steelers had waited on a QB and getting Howell in the 4th round may have rendered the same result.

Pickens was a good selection. Leal feels like a Justin Layne pick to me, a project. I am concerned about Austin's size, but if Canada knows what he is doing, having a player like Austin will add wrinkles to the offense. The last three picks will not be difference makers, but Heyward and Robinson do have potential.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    I would take this seriously if steelers fans didn't hate every offensive coordinator to ever coach on the team. We hate Arians, Haley, Canada, etc.

We have hated almost every draft. We have certain fans that threw trash on Tommy Maddox lawn when he screwed up.

My opinion of the general person is more fact than most of the people on here who have an opinion on anything steelers. Which most of the time is trash. Which is hilarious because the Steelers have made blunders but they have not been trash for the last 52 years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    A big +1 to this. I'm always reminded every draft as a fried and I only pretty much chat with each during the draft. He's a browns fan and we both have fun as his expense at who they are drafting and how spoiled I am that I don't have to worry. We do alright usually. Just wait to see who they draft they go check the guys out.

This years theme from me to him was, hey at least you are not going to mess up the first round this year.

11. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Did you like Ray Sherman? I had no issues with Earhardt, Gailey, or Mularky. Gilbride was terrible and Sherman was overmatched. Your OC comments would have more weight if Fichtner and Canada proved otherwise. Arians was good, but he did leave Ben out to dry with his schemes. Haley did what he was told to do; keep Ben upright, but Ben hated Haley because he wasn't Arians, so the pro-Ben faction was going to hate Haley because Ben did. Terry Bradshaw calling his own plays has been as smart or smarter than several of the OCs the Steelers have had in the past 52 years.

I am basing my opinion on what I saw last year. Sure Roethlisberger was toast and the salary cap hindered Colbert, but the offense still underperformed and you cannot tell me Canada was not part of the problem. I was happy the Steelers targeted the offense in the draft, and maybe if one of the receivers fell to 20, Pickett wouldn't have been selected. Pickett's a Steelers and I hope he or Trubisky hoist the Lombardi, and if that happens, Canada deserves a HC job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Overall, I feel quite alright with how we did this year. Every team (including the eventual SB champs) is going into this season feeling "we're weak at position X", "we're relying too much on rookies for position Y", "our depth sucks at position Z", etc. But overall this offseason, I feel like we did very well all things considered. I wasn't sure about FB and back up QB as 2 of the last 3 picks, but whatever. If they turn out to be good players for us then it doesn't matter what position they play. We didn't panic and have put together quite a good looking team on paper.

1. Ben sized hole at QB - Signed Trubisky as insurance policy, drafted our (hopeful) next franchise QB in the first round.
    2. Holes at the WR position - Addressed in the draft with Pickens and Austin 3. I am VERY glad we did this as opposed to overpaying in FA. Look at those freaking WR contracts! OH BOY!
    3. Poor interior line last season - signed Cole and Daniels to start. Our depth at the position wasn't the problem, the starting unit was. We addressed it in FA. Hope they pan out.
    4. Tuitt coming back? - Welcome DeMarvin Leal. Addressed in draft
    5. Putrid LB play last season - Added Myles Jack. Drafted Day 3 ILB in each of the last 2 drafts.
    6. Who are our corners? - signed Witherspoon and Wallace. Should be a solid unit with Sutton in the slot
    7. Hole at SS - Edmunds and Kazee to battle it out.

All we can do is hope we filled those holes with the right players... but it looks like we gave a good effort at filling them all.

At the end of the day, there have been underwhelming drafts at the time that have turned out to be amazing (I remember the uproar over taking LeVeon Bell instead of Eddie Lacy), and there have been drafts that we've felt great about that turned out to be duds. Personally I love both WR's taken. Leal seems like a quality player with room to grow, and of course Kenny Pickett. Only time will tell if it was good or not, but I look at where this team stands now vs. how they stood at the season's end and its hard not to feel like we got a lot better.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    There are 7 x cornerbacks and 5 x safties on the team already.....adding even more would be disturbing.

14. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Most of you on here couldn't run a lemonade stand. Ray Sherman lasted one year and was out. **** happens, bad decisions are made, no one is perfect. Maybe we can critique Sammy Baugh's last season in Washington while we are at it.

The obsessive whining on here is like listening to lousy parents complain to the school board on why their kids suck.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Since no dB pick, Haden coming back? I think he shld

• Like Like x 1
  16. 88Unstoppable82

88Unstoppable82 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2021
    The one thing I've learned over the last 50 years is that every draft has players I like and some I don't. And almost every year, some of the ones I don't like turn out as successful players, and some I do never figure out which head the cup goes on (is that even still worn? - man I'm old). I expect this class will be much the same.

The fun part is finding out which ones are which.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    You seem to be more whiny about people's opinions, than people are about the Steelers draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Oh shut up. I'm telling you what the hell some of you are doing. That doesn't mean I'm whining. Half the damn posts have been grown mean crying about draft picks that no one knows what the hell is going to happen. Spare me the projection bull****.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    What? There is whining in a thread and you are outraged and whining about it. Show me a thread where there isn't whining? You are right, no one knows, even the Steelers brass. The brass that admitted they had a first round grade on Mason Rudolph, only to sign and draft three quarterbacks to try to replace him. I give the Steelers credit: they recognized their weaknesses and tried to address them in free agency, so that in the draft they didn't have to reach for a specific position. They said they wanted four QBs and they have four QBs. The team is built better than last year, less questions as starters, and more depth overall.

20. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Has to be Deebo or bust for the Ravens offense.

Together the 3 starting Baltimore WRs have a career total of 3 NFL TDs. That is total for all the players. If they can double that production that would be 6 TDs, and they would lose every game by 40 next year.

21. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Overall I'm excited about this class. Steelers fans are going to absolutely love George Pickens. He's a physical animal that's not afraid to block. My only complaint is the lack of addressing the CB position. I'm ok with Wallace, Witherspoon and Sutton. The thing for me is that each of them are solid #2 corners. I'd love to have that #1 shutdown guy, but it is what it is. Not enough picks for the needs at hand. I think Teal is solid rotational guy that will become a long-term solution there. I would've loved Davis or Jones, but they weren't feasible and it happens. That slot kid Calvin Austin is likely going to be the guy taking carries on those jet sweeps/pop passes. Last three guys are likely STs/PS guys. Hard to judge that potential. But it is great to see Conner Heyward here. I'm pleased with the draft.

• Like Like x 1
  22. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I’m happy with the class. This roster has a tonne of holes and they were never going to fix them all in one draft. I see 2022 as a building year where they are setting the table for Pickett going forward, hence a very offence led draft with two receivers in the first four rounds. The WR room was my big concern and from what I’ve read the two guys they got have a lot of upside.

I was surprised they didn’t draft a corner or offensive tackle but they have guys that can start now and there is another draft next year so not too worried about it

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    In regards to Leal, there is absolutely no way Tomlin is bringing in a kid that is lazy or if he feels effort will be a problem.

I think this might signal the end of Tuitt, maybe they don’t think they can count on him coming back. There is something seriously wrong with that whole situation. If he does come back, they have a versatile rotation piece to use in Leal.

24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We will find out in about 3 years, I really hate this comment Hopefully some of the existing players
    that were on the roster will improve. I thought the Steelers did well in FA.

25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I was hoping the Steelers were going to shop Tuitt and try to get another pick, didn't happen. A change of scenery maybe best for both parties.

• Disagree Disagree x 1