1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who was the bigger draft bust under Kevin Colbert?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Apr 24, 2022.

1. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    He never played one snap in an NFL game. That is a bust.

Couldn't stay healthy.

EDIT: Sorry strummerfan, I'm your echo. :smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Ricardo Colclough

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Yeah, he was crap.

4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Colclough
    A. Jackson
    Sweed

Steelers have definitely had their share of whiffs in the 2nd round.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It is weird how Colbert usualy nails the first round and then like to reach in the second.

It is almost like he looks at the 2nd round as a freebie luxury pick.

6. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Agree... and I forgot about Senquez Golson and Mike Adams.

Steelers have picked WR in 2nd round in 4 of the past 5 drafts. JuJu, Washington, DJ and Claypool.

• Like Like x 1
  7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    No worries!
    Great minds and all

• Like Like x 2
  8. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I think Jones as a first round pick you expect them to be not only starters but impactful starters. Yeah he started mainly because its embarrassing to sit your first round pick and we had no one behind him. Goldson only because he was a second round pick he had lowered expectations but a total bust for a number of reasons not being able to stay healthy was one.

I remember when they reached for Burns .
    His scouting report was Pos. He was tall, long arms, decent speed and best suited to man to man.
    Neg. He struggles in zone and does not react well when the ball is in the air.
    So of course they play him in zone and he gets confused and lost. He did look alright in his rookie year, corner maybe is the toughest position to start as a rookie.
    He regressed every year afterwards and I blame the coaching or lack there of for that failure. Then benching him then starting him then benching again by then his confidence was shot.

If they would of thrown Layne to the wolves I bet it would of turned out the same way. I can't remember any recent DB's that have gotten better with our coaching except maybe Hilton.
    And that's with a defensive genius as a head coach.

• Like Like x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Sutton says hi :shrug:

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Except DJ was a third round pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Jarvis Jones. That pick never made sense at all. It was like they were doing someone a favor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Yes he was. I stand corrected. DJ is good value for a round 3 pick.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    3 picks for bush. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    It makes sense in historical context, even though it was a bad decision.

If you remember a dozen or so years ago, the Steelers defense was described as "old and slow".
    (They still managed to be top-5 in the league for defensive yards from 2007-2012, and #1 for 4 of those years.)

When that core group were no longer able to perform at a high level, the team started to draft for athletic ability.
    Those athletes were faster and stronger, but especially the mid-rounders had trouble being good football players.
    So the team drafted for players who performed well in college. Jarvis Jones fits that bill. (He benefitted from the players around him, but a lot of analysts at the time ignored that and thought he would be a productive player.)
    Then the team realized those players weren't doing well, so "young and slow" went back to athletic talent (like Burns).

So the team winds up with picks that over-correct for "athleticism" or "college productive", instead of finding that Goldilocks mix of both.

The Steelers draft late enough that they don't often get a sure bet in the first round, like when Decastro fell to them.
    They usually have to take a chance on an athletic person developing enough technique (like Dupree or even Watt), or a productive player who was injured becoming stronger and healthier (Heyward).

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. woofermazing

woofermazing Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2017
    It's probably Jones, simply because him busting was so unexpected.

Burns was just a dumb pick, and everyone knew it. They reached hard because they thought corner was the missing piece to get past the Patriots and to a Superbowl.

I would throw Bush in as an option. Traded draft capital to get him. I'm convinced he's only started so much because of a lack of any other options. With Jarvis, we still had an elderly Harrison to fall back on.

Same thing with Edmunds. He's only started so much because we literally have nothing else at safety. He'd be out of the league right now if we had any other option.

16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The Landshark Shamarko Thomas.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    RD 1 PICK 20 4-28-2022.

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  18. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
  19. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Active Member

Mar 19, 2022
    Clearly it was Limas Sweed; games started = 0

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Offense - Mike Adams. Watched him at Ohio State and I thought he'd be a stalwart OT but I don't think he ever "loved" football. If he did, he might still be playing.

Defense - Artie Burns slightly over Jarvis Jones. Burns just got worse and worse every year.

I think Bud Dupree deserves some consideration. He isn't the worst but I thought he was just ordinary until it got close to contract time.

21. Ben There

Ben There Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
  22. JD86

JD86 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    But what are we focusing on as criteria? Just 1st and 2nd rd picks, or picks after that were speculated to produce but underachieved?

If we are looking solely at 1st rd picks, definitely Jarvis Jones as the most disappointing and biggest bust. Artie Burns had some what of a strong season his rookie year and was still serviceable the year after but really started to struggled in zone coverage and then ended up not getting a hat on game day during the end of his time here.

While he never lived up to his hype, I wouldn't include him in the same conversation as the latter. Plus he is still playing in the league. Ziggy Hood was average and played in the league until 2019 but never lived up to his first round grade. I would say that Edmunds falls into that same category so far as well.

2nd and after: Alonzo Jackson, Ricardo Colclough, Senquez Golson, Thaddeus Gibson, Bruce Davis, Cortez Allen, Limas Sweed, Kraig Urbik, Dri Archer, Mike Adams, Shamarko Thomas were some big misses that come to mind, I know there were more but those are the ones I remember. Those guys were all hyped to have big careers but all flopped.

On a side note, I would argue that 09 was our worst draft, with 02,10 being our our best under Colbert (only due to the number of starters produced in those classes).

Last edited: May 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 1