1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to the Steelers Kenny Pickett

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Apr 28, 2022.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers got the best QB in a poor class. I hope Pickett proves me wrong... but this seems like a reach to me. Looks like no other QB was selected in the round 1. I hope Steelers go DE, SS, WR or CB in round 2. BPA.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    I wonder if the no losing seasons played into selecting the more pro-ready QB over the project. If Mitch disappoints, the Steelers now have a viable option to turn to.

Either way, I won't complain. The Steelers know more than I do.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Welcome to the Steelers Kenny Pickett! Allegheny Genac Genac Genac!

4. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'm a tad bit indifferent. Preferred to go in another direction especially with the likes of Booth and Hill still on the board. But I'm not vehemently against this pick. I wish Pickett tons of success. He legitimately has to go across the hall. Plus as a Pitt guy, I know he's going to work out with Slovis and Addison, and company. Pickett being successful means that the Steelers will be successful.

:herewego::herewego!::herewego:

5. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Can’t wait for him to tour Pittsburgh. He will love it here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I was curious because I like reading NFL.com comparable players in the bios. Pickett is comparable to Andy Dalton (prime years) and Trubisky was compared to Stafford. Trubisky hasn't approached a Stafford comparison. But Pickett to an Andy Dalton without an AJ Green, hmmm. I did check Najee's comparable and it was Steven Jackson. My hope is either Trubisky becomes a Stafford or Pickett is better than an Andy Dalton.

7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The ghost of Dan Marino has finally been exorcized! :emperor:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    One thing is for sure we won't see the obligatory Mt. Washington picture and a stop by Primanti Brothers with this 1st rd pick.

9. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    He was my favorite QB all year... but I am concerned about his hands, age and arm strength. Measurables are surely not everything, and maybe least important at the QB spot, but I'd feel much better if he didn't have those three concerns. He does have several good qualities. I've been of the opinion that someone like Corral in the 2nd would've been most ideal. In the least, I'm very thankful we didn't get Willis and even more thankful we didn't have to trade up to make this happen. That's not exactly the level of excitement I want about a 1st round pick though. Now we have 3 real picks remaining and several positions that still need players.

To me, this is year 2 of a 3 year rebuild so we're doing fine. Hoping Flores and Canada come up with some good stuff this season. I still wish we wouldn't have done the Ben farewell tour year and instead torn things down even further last off season.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    One thing I’m not at all concerned about is his age. He’ll be 24 this season. Good QBs routinely play into their late 30’s (or later). Drafting him cost us a single late first round pick. This isn’t like trading multiple 1st rounders for a 34 year old Russell Wilson. If we get a solid QB for more than a decade out of a single 1st round pick, that’s great value.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Longevity is not my age concern. It's about how much ceiling he has left. It's about whether his great season was because he's really good or because he was 2-3 years older than most of the competition. In other words, it's about growth and development. I'm sure it sounds stupid but if he was 21-22 and had 9.5" hands I'd love the pick a lot more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Notice your post and the one by FootballPlagiarist. He even admitted he hadn't watched much on Pickett. Maybe people should actually watch the guy play a little before damning the pick.

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    This has to be the end of any excuses for Canada. I am certain he is at least on board with this one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would guess everything is a little brighter and tastes better after you become a millionaire.

15. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    It's a quarterback league. 20th pick where you didn't move up or spend any draft property to maybe get your franchise QB is a risk you have to take. It's not about good or bad decisions at this point. It's if we hit on this, the next 15 years are set at the most important position not only in football but all of sports.

If he is a bust, so what. It's the 20th pick in a draft full of talent in the power positions. Steelers always find starters in the later rounds at receiver and offensive line.

What the Steelers would have never been able to do is suck bad enough to get a 1st overall pick or even in the top 5. So, whining and crying about not picking the right QB is a waste of energy. You can't have both.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Reading back I probably wasn’t clear - I meant to say when I actually watched tape I didn’t see the negatives I’d been reading about.

Im excited about this pick, certainly not down on it.

17. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    ^ This. There's no such thing as a 'can't miss' QB. Even the ones taken first overall. It's a numbers game. You have to keep picking QBs until you get the franchise QB. We can't repeat 1983-2004 where we try to make due with mediocre talent at QB. Especially with the way the game is played today. If Pickett is a bust, we wasted a late first rounder on him. That's a better risk than a Jarvis Jones type pick.

I will say in response to questions about whether he hit his ceiling, 2020 was pretty much a lost year for sports. No fans, limited practice capabilities, etc. Even veteran pros had poor seasons that year. So I don't think we can chalk up his success during his Senior season as an anomaly due to him being older than the competition. Perhaps with a normal Jr season, he would have shown more progression.

18. Ben There

Ben There Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
  19. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I wonder how much that will come up over the next few years.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    There were some very QB needy teams with multiple 1st rd picks that passed on him. Does make you wonder.

I’m hoping that the Steelers took him because they knew him better than everyone else and not because they are trying to right a wrong from 40 years ago.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Actually, I was the one who wasn't clear. I'm agreeing with you in your response to him. You were absolutely clear that you like what you saw on film. I didn't really have to watch much. I've probably seen 20 of his games. I'm not a huge Pitt fan, but I will watch when they are on. This year's team was a hell of a lot of fun and most of that was due to Pickett.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That's my hope as well. Obviously, there are teams that don't like him. You could say that the Panthers had a big need on the offensive line, which they do. You can point to the Saints needing a big-play receiver and a tackle, which is also true. That said, if they thought Pickett could be a franchise guy, they would have put those needs aside and taken him. If you think a player has a shot at being a franchise guy and you don't have one, you take him no matter what. I think that is what the Steelers felt and did.

• Like Like x 1
  23. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    I would not have drafted him because he is 24. If he was 22, 23, then yes. Other than that, Pickett deserved to be #1 overall selection. He is akin to Burrow, Mayfield, Lawrence, Murray, as far as production from QB position.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    QBs play until their late 30s now. 15 years isn't enough for you?

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    This pick suits me right down to the ground. I feel way more confident about the qb position then I ever expected this early on.. As long as horrific play calling and dropped passes don't become the norm I feel like the offense has a real good chance at being successful.