1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NFL teams to be relegated to XFL?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by strummerfan, Apr 27, 2022.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I saw this earlier today and like the idea. Basically in European soccer leagues the worst teams are relegated(demoted) to a lower league. Someone came up with the idea of the worst team in the NFL would play the best team in the XFL. If you lose it’s down to the XFL for you.

76D529B2-83EE-40E9-B944-1D03C3E86888.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  2. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    I like it . Also first 10 draft spots should be lotto.

3. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I would think that the worst NFL team would beat an XFL team by 50. If for no other reason, every single guy on the XFL team has tried and failed to get more than a cup of coffee on an NFL Roster even after several attempts.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Alabama has a better shot at competing than an XFL team, and they have little chance against the NFL teams. Only two leagues can this work and they're MLS and MLB, whom have pyramid structures to make it work.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  6. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    No owner will support devaluing their investment

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I read this twice just to see if this idea was as dumb as I thought the first time

It sounded worse the second time

• Hilarious Hilarious x 10
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2022-4-27_21-33-45.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    So Steelers would have no one to play down to?

Undefeated Season coming!

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we are safe at 8-8-1. that's a non losing season. :smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    The Jaguars would destroy any USFL team. The Jaguars are the reason the Steelers made the playoffs last year.

• Like Like x 2
  13. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I love the idea and have wanted a certain of it for 25 years.

The logistics of such a thing would be difficult. But it would 100% eliminate any TANKING.

For it to have a chance if would half to be considered a minor league and not a seperate league like the USFL is currently.

I propose an 8 team league. Each NFL division sends so many developmental guys (think expanded practice squad) ... so the teams would be THE AFC NORTH TEAM vs THE NFC SOUTH.... play 14 game season (everyone twice) and playoffs.

I would give the NFL owners a piece of the pie.. maybe the games start of exclusive on NFL NETWORK to start.. but let the teams all be mostly minority owned. You want diversity owners... start with 8

League champion goes up to the big league....#32 NFL team drops

I agree that most NFL teams would beat the minor league team... so Jacksonville would most likely only be out of the NFL for one season... while the minor league would most likely only be up for one season.

The issue would be player allocation. The NFL is built on parity. Worst teams get the best draft picks... first shot at waiver wire

If Jacksonville goes down... does the minor league team get the first pick? Do you really want Peyton Manning playing half his career in the minors? Definitely not.... but that would over time.. build the lower league

Imagine that Jacksonville gets knocked down.. and AFCN.. gets bumped up..... then the next season Jacksonville loses championship to NFCS .. then AFCN wins 2 games and Detroit wins 1.. now Detroit is out and the NFL has 2 teams from the minors now competing on the big stage

It might take a long time and a lot of player movement to make it work. . But it would add a lot of excitement. In Detroit and other bottom feeders the last few weeks of the season of you are playing for your teams life.. and not tanking for Tua

HACK

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tonka Smash

Tonka Smash Active Member

May 2, 2021
    So what would happen to the Lions next year when the XFL folds again?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The issue is they tried this with the Europe league. College football is the D league. The amount of guys that slip through are minimal. To expect a PS player to do the rigors of an NFL season and do all they do..they are the prep team and line up in off positions. Then have them play a full minor leagues season and return to NFL pre in a few weeks.

If a spring league survives it is going to be on its own. A few players may emerge for sure? But the numbers that do just.do not justify the expense for no owners. What would justify the expense is if it made money..then you will see interest.

16. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    For something like this to truly work, you would need the XFL to be included in the NFL draft, and seasons played at the same time. Not that this idea is any better, but to go to something akin to pro/rel soccer leagues, the NFL would first absorb the 8 XFL teams, and then add the next 12 teams, with the worst record. Split each 20 team league into 2 separate division and then playing h/h against every one in the division for an 18 game season. Then have 4 teams from each division play in the playoffs and the two bottom teams be relegated. Winners of the top rung playoffs play in the SB, and winners of the bottom rung playoffs play in the Almost SB. Play top rung on CBS, bottom rung on FOX. Each rung gets a shot at SNF/MNF. Teams in the bottom rung drafts 1-20 and teams in the higher rung draft 21-40. 2 teams from each division bottom rung gets promoted and 2 teams from each division gets relegated. It's a horrible idea nonetheless, but intriguing to talk about.

I do think there needs to be a lottery to prevent tanking.

17. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I also think same time.... give them Tues and Wed night

NFL Sun, Mon, Thurs
    College Saturday
    High School Friday
    Minors Tuesday and Wed

The 14 game plus playoffs would be done before the NFL playoffs started... leaving the NFL alone at the end.

The PRO BOWL. Could be used... minor league champ vs NFL chump..... winner gets into the league

Hack

• Like Like x 1