1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mocking It Up 2022

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by RichD, Mar 18, 2022.

1. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
  2. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
  3. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
  4. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    This is what will happen...

upload_2022-4-24_12-21-34.png

5. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
  6. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
  7. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    Sadly, very likely.

8. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Maybe. He was available in the simulator. These things are pretty unreliable in terms of player grading. I just mean those positions could be the way we go.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Like a lot of the players selected, but holy crap trading DJ for a second round pick would be idiotic. In this scenario, Pickens better work out, otherwise we wouldn't even have a ham sandwich at the WR position for Trubisky to throw to.

10. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    That draft would sink the Steelers into last place for the next 5 years.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    You honestly think we could get a 1st for Dionte? I understand your taking a risk and betting these other receivers pan out but based on the Steelers developing Receivers I am pretty confident. This allows us to pick up more draft capital and not have to pay Dionte a hefty salary. This offense is not gonna be built the spread or the WR for that matter and I think the WR position is often one of the easier positions to draft because every year that position is loaded.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I agree.

13. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    No, I am not trading Diontae at all. If it were my call, I am paying him 18-20 million a year to stay. We have to have someone at the position, and I don't think its a good idea to trade away our only good WR to draft a WR that we hope ends up being as good as Diontae. I just think that is bad business. We wont be in a position that we cant afford him, so I don't see why its a priority to show him the door. Its not like years past where we had all this money tied up at QB. We can afford our good players now, not just let them walk because we have all our money tied up elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    Maybe, but I'd be pretty stoked to get Penning. We still need OL upgrade, especially at OT. I watched highlights of the Minnesota C/G and he looked...not very good to me. Slow and at best average strength. I do like the Chicago G/C signing, but we still have a VERY subpar OL, its just that its now not the worst in the league.

15. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Dionte is mediocre. The offense the last two years was designed to get the ball out quick. He was the main target as a result, but he brings nothing to blocking, run after catch, etc. He is not a number one receiver and it is bad to tie up money in a over inflated position right now. The WR market is insane and number 2 wide receivers which Dionte is are demeaning number one money. We are in a rebuild. Dionte to me is a complimentary piece not a somebody you build the offense around. I believe there are wide receivers every year in the draft that are better or complimentary to Dionte. I would rather take that 20 million and spend it on a good left tackle or cornerback in free agency next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I understand your position if that is truly what you feel about Dionte. The fact is that Dionte is a #1 receiver. He is currently a top 20 receiver in the league and he is worth the money that he is supposedly asking for (I think he is going to try to have a big year this year and hope his stock rises). He's not in the top 10 conversation yet, but if he ups his game again like he did this past year he could be a top 10 receiver.

Diontae didn't get the ball last year bc we had designed plays that just ended up working out for him. He got the ball because he is far and away the best WR we had on the team. He was the only one that made plays and the only one who consistently got open. He got the ball a lot as a result. It was earned, not schemed. We have absolutely no one else on our roster capable of being a #1 receiver, and likely not another WR on our roster that will see a second contract with the Steelers (I am very down on Claypool's ability). It is a huge risk to take a young, talented WR who has produced the past season like a top 10-15 WR and ship him off for an unknown in a draft pick. We are in a position where we can keep our good players bc we aren't spending at the QB position. That allows us to keep Minkah, Watt, Heyward, DJ, etc. and still go out and bring guys in like Wallace, Jack, Daniels, etc. Its a good position to be in, and we should be working to keep our good players, not show them the door bc we are too cheap.

What happens if we select a stud young QB next year and our draft pick ends up not being as good as Diontae? Chase Claypool, a rookie (unknown), three guys that got cut from their previous teams (Sims, Miller, Boykin), and a punt returner (Olszewski) is the worst WR room in the entire league... and it is by a lot. That puts us in a really awkward situation of having to overpay a guy from another team to come here and hope it works out, or force another early WR in the draft. There just isn't a good reason to trade Diontae. He is worth more to this team than whatever we could get in compensation. It would be one thing if Claypool didn't suck and we had other good WR's on the roster. Dionte IS our WR room at the moment. He is about as untradeable as it gets from a roster perspective.

The good news is that it looks like we will have another season for DJ to prove he is worth #1 receiver money. We can pay him next year if we so choose. It wouldn't shock me at all to see him have another very good season.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I see your point. It would be a huge risk to trade him. I just hate we are in this position to have to pay him like a number one when he hasn’t fully proven himself yet. I agree with you he was the only one that consistently got open. He was the most targeted WR in the league last year and I don’t believe that was because he is a super star. I believe it was a result of the poor line play, poor QB play, poor scheme. He is good with short area quickness so that style of offense actually complimented his skill set. I guess after having Antonio Brown for so long it is unfair to expect the same production from Dionte. I do feel like wide receiver contracts are becoming inflated. Perhaps the deep ball with play action will come back this year and you will see more from Claypool. I would definitely not pay Dionte this year. Hopefully they draft a good young wr and he performs and then the Steelers have a little leverage going into next year. I do believe this will be an offense that never will utilize or see the full potential of the WR’s simply because of the scheme and the focus being on the run game. With that being said, that is why I want the Steelers to be prudent with overspending on the WR position. They need the horses up front to make the run game go. I see this offense being a lot more like when Bettis and Ward early in his career were here. I actually see the league going back to that a little bit to combat the smaller more athletic defenses out there now. Plus that kind of offense suits a good defense and it helps the QB. When you don’t have an elite QB the play action and focus on the run game are better options.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I also hear what you are saying. It's true we don't have to pay him this year, and I would expect us not to. If he proves it again, then I am all for giving him the money. I bet that Diontae is seeing these big money contracts and wants to put together a 14-1500 yard year with 10+ TD's and try to score big. Brown was truly HoF worthy. He was for 7 years, pound for pound the best all around receiver in the game, and that was a time where there were a LOT of great WR's. I don't think Diontae will get to Brown's level, but I still think he can be a really great WR.

I understand that some of our line deficiencies saw DJ get targeted a lot, but I think he is getting the targets anyways. He was the only one to score a long TD (a couple of 50+ yarders), and only 9 WR's in the game last year made more 40+ yard plays than Diontae. I think he can beat you all over the field, which is why I love his game so much. He is essentially a poor man's Antonio Brown.

I do see us relying more on the run game and TE, but I do think there is still room to have a really good WR on the team's payroll. I would be fine if we paid DJ big money then just drafted guys to complement him and maybe sign a decent vet or two in there. We don't have to throw around a 20+ million contract for our #1, then turn around and spend for any other WR's. If we can get a solid OL together, have Najee running well, then have DJ and Friermuth catching passes for us, we should be a very difficult offense to defend (even without a top flight QB). We need a guy to keep the defense honest so the opposing defense doesn't feel like they can just stack the box because we don't have enough weapons in the passing game. Even the run heavy teams are looking for a #1 guy to have in order to loosen up some running lanes (or make defenses pay for overloading the box). The top rushing teams by total rushes (in order) are Tennessee, Philly, Baltimore, New Orleans, San Fran, Colts, and Cardinals. Tennessee has AJ Brown, New Orleans Michael Thomas, SF Deebo Samuel, Cards DeAndre Hopkins. Philly took a WR in the first last year. The Ravens took a WR in the first last year and in 2019. The Colts may be in line to take a WR early this year since Jonathan Taylor broke out as a stud in 2021. Even the top rushing teams are looking for one good threat at the WR position. I think DJ can be that for us.

Hopefully DJ can fully prove it this year before we pay him, or he can have a down year and prove that we need to go another way. Either way, I think this season is going to be super exciting. I think we are going to be better than a lot of people will give us credit for. Lots of moving pieces, and new faces to cheer for. Should be a lot of fun.

19. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    All excellent points. If you don’t have a deep threat the defense stacks the box. Should be an interesting season.

20. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Final Draft

Your score is: 51614 (GRADE: A)

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 24 (DAL): Kaiir Elam, CB, Florida (A)
    Round 2 Pick 20: Daxton Hill, FS/SS, Michigan (A+)
    Round 2 Pick 24 (DAL): Jahan Dotson, WR, Penn State (A+)
    Round 3 Pick 20: Max Mitchell, OT, Louisiana (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 33 (COMP): Alec Lindstrom, C/OG, Boston College (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 29: Pierre Strong Jr., RB, South Dakota State (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 4: Mekhi Garner, CB, Louisiana (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 20: Jack Sanborn, ILB/OLB, Wisconsin (A+)

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Really the Defense stacks the box by what type of offense, and players You are running.