1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

i like this team.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Apr 26, 2022.

1. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    With you on the NT. Could very well be our 1st pick.

2. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Well...Haden was still the best player in the secondary,and he's gone...And they were average to start with...

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Witherspoon didn't play that much so how can he figure into the average play? Wallace wasn't here so aren't they a different secondary from what you say is average? Haden didn't have his best year last year. Norwood was a rookie last year as well. Sutton and the secondary were playing better when he went back to the slot over maulet. Quite different from what we fielded last year.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think and hope SS slides into the slot where you have DL. LB, we have added Myles Jack and genard avery, plus we have last year's draft pick buddy Johnson that should be added to the mix. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    - Emperor Hirohito August 1945

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  6. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Steeler Glemm, what have you done with Mac Daddyo?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I tend to agree with @mac daddyo , the team feels much better than before free agency..... not necessarily better than last year.... but I feel good about where the team is pre-draft. After last season, there were soooo many holes, it was hard to imagine filling them all through the draft. I'm not ready to say 17-0 but I'm not going to concede a losing season yet either. Cautiously optimistic :)

• Like Like x 3
  8. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    Last year’s team was really hamstrung by the lack of cap space, a declining QB and the unexpected losses of Decastro and Tuitt.

On paper this year’s team should be better. The issue is the division and the rest of the AFC is a lot stronger this year.

In the NFC I think this version of the Steelers would be a playoff team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am going to go to the corner now and bang my head against the wall saying "Chuks for 30 million, Chuks for 30 million" WTF!!!

I still have hope that the Steelers will get a RT in the draft; and he will come in and make Chuks the highest paid backup RT in the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Are the stat numbers that bad?

11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I would feel much better about this team if they would have kept one of juju,Washington, or McCloud.

• Like Like x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Winner

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    While You are correct Haden didn't have His best year last year, but when He was out there....He was still our best CB IMO.
    You are quite correct that it's is different from what We fielded last year, but since I've never seen Washington play here, and I know every time Haden missed a game our secondary look worse....Is it a better secondary?????
    That's the Question. :shrug:
    Is hard for Me 2 believe it will be better unless We do something else 2 change it.

14. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Like the way they’ve plugged the holes the last few years.
    I’ll feel better once I hear Tuitt is back and I would sign ole man HAden yet again. That old man is still our best and the D is better when he’s out there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Did Haden sign with Buffalo yet, or is that still a rumor?

For a while I thought both Haden and Edmunds were heading off to Buffalo.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    1. Of the only 2 returning receivers from the starting 53 man roster, 1 of them slumped last year and went from budding star to big question mark. Plus, there’s the chance that our only proven returning receiver is entering his final season with us. This adds up to a pretty significant draft need.
    2. Corner is serviceable heading into the season. Wallace is a legit starting corner. Witherspoon found his mojo down the stretch and played decently. Sutton is a good coverage slot corner, though he is lacking in ability around the line of scrimmage (where Maulet is OK). I’d definitely be happy to add a corner in the draft, but I don’t think corner is a top 3 need.

My top 3 needs are a starting safety, WR and a D lineman who can two gap in run defense. Anywhere on the O line is my #4 need, preferably tackle or center. The only guys there that I feel truly comfortable with are Daniels and Moore (I’m expecting a decent year 1 to 2 improvement from him).

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think they need a top WR in the draft, they could find a speedy one in the mid rounds, guys like Tyquan Thornton, or Danny Gray. They need Claypool to play like he did as a rookie, and not like he did in 2021, maybe they could get contributions from Boykin and Miller.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They won't be missed, time to upgrade.

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Chuks probably won't be on the team to collect that whole contract, they can get out of that contract after one year.

• Like Like x 1
  20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    While I'm not crazy about them bringing okrafor back, he doesn't pass block that bad. His problem has been the run game. He has a good player to his inside now and a more competent coach I believe. We at least have qb that can move and our TE help on his outside should be better.

Cole should be better at the center spot but we don't really know yet if he will play there or at guard and we draft one. They have met with a couple. Most assume that he will play center but we don't know that yet. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  21. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I mean....

Claypool 59 receptions 860 yards 2 TD
    Miller 6 receptions 25 yards 1 TD
    Olszewski 2 receptions 31 yards 0 TD
    Boykin 1 reception 6 yards 0 TD
    Sims 0 receptions 0 yards 0 TD

Outside of Claypool we have 62 yards and 1 TD out of the rest of our current receivers for 2021. 3 total TD from WR's not named Johnson from 2021 that are still on this team (Miller's TD was from a game with Houston in 2021) and that IS including Claypool. I understand that we are going to rely a lot on Freiermuth and Harris in the receiving game... but our WR group behind Johnson is pretty bad. Not a lot of faith in those guys.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    We will miss Juju. He was a solid player. We wont miss Washington or McCloud one bit. Washington is horrible, and McCloud (while he represented himself well enough at WR) is still just mainly a returner. Look for us to add a rookie WR in the first few rounds of the draft this week. I'll feel a lot better when we actually have a third WR.

23. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I fully expect them to address wr at least once in the draft. I wouldn’t be shocked if they doubled at the position. With that being said I would still feel far better about the position if they weren’t relying on one or two rookies.

24. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Gonna have to rely on rookies somewhere. At least WR is a position where a rookie can come in and contribute fairly quickly.

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. steelcity72

steelcity72 Member

Mar 15, 2022
    If the can find someone to coach the team we may have a shot.