1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Defensive Line for 2022

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Bama Steel, Apr 24, 2022.

1. Bama Steel

Bama Steel Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    I know we have Cam on the right side and, hopefully, Tuitt on the left. But what about the NT? Is Alualu going to be healthy or do we go to Henry Mondeaux or Chris Wormley?

2. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    A draft pick perhaps?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bama Steel

Bama Steel Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Maybe we could get one of those guys from Georgia or Alabama.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I wouldn’t mind the NT from Connecticut in the second if we could get him there. I think Montarivus Adams would be the next man up after Alualu. I doubt Henry Monduex makes the team this year.

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Why wouldn't alualu make it back? We have Adams and Carlos Davis as well though.:cool:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Well that narrows it down

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  7. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Call me a skeptic, but I'm not really convinced that this DL is going to be that great. A lot requires Tuitt and Alualu coming back 100% to how they played in 2020 and years prior. That's just a big if. Alualu is 34 coming off of a season ending injury. He might return to form; then again, at his age it's difficult to return to form when skills are beginning to diminish at this stage in one's career. Then there's Tuitt that missed a year. I think he will be back, but there's going to be some form of rust. He's been out of football for year. He'll definitely get back up to speed at some point. I'd like to think that Tuitt will be just fine, and I'm hopeful for it. I think Adams was one hell of a middle of the season steal, then there's guys like Wormley that's great for depth. Loudermilk is certainly someone that should continue to improve and develop and find himself at worst in the rotation. Despite the DL's

Travis Jones (DL UConn) is someone that I'd like to see them add to this DL. I prefer Jordan Davis, but I just don't see him available at 20.

• Like Like x 3
  8. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Age could be a problem.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Tuitt didn't too much when he was suiting up. Missed multiple games thru out his career to date. Could not be counted on to be a difference maker.
    I don't think we can figure him into future plans going forward. More DL depth will be needed, the problem is
    we will have a hard time adding to this depth problem. Our needs at other positions CB, SS, OT, ILB, OLB, WR. Where and when
    do you add this depth? I think the Steelers have tried, but these late round acquisitions are not going to get you a Cam Heyward? Maybe
    a trade of Tuitt could bring back that added pick?

10. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    We signed Montravius Adams to a 2 year extension

• Like Like x 1
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm not sure why people only want chris wormley as depth or even think of him as that after last season. tuitt had one season that was better then wormley last season. wormley had 7 sacks, 3 passes knocked down, 1 forced fumble and 51 tackles. tuitt once had 11 sacks. once had 54 tackles. if wormley can repeat or build on last season he is playing at the level tuitt is or was or better. that year tuitt had 1 more start then wormley did too.

as for alualu. he broke his ankle. he was still playing at a very high level prior to that. breaks heal. adams played well. carlos and kahlil davis are backups and both were quite good in college. carlos was injured all season so if he is back it is just another added bonus. his brother was a later season pickup. loudermilk was improving and should on a good rookie year. cam is still at the top of his game. this is a good group.:cool:

12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Ah the mystery man. Still haven't heard a peep. Man they are in a predicament with Tuitt's cap hit if they release him due to waffling about returning or not. Dead cap is a killer. The restructuring has bitten some @ss.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/stephon-tuitt-14455/

Hopefully Alualu comes back healthy. He and Adams can rotate.

Cam. He's not getting any younger although his game is as strong as ever.

Wormley, Mondeaux and Loudermilk are the young guns.

Need to draft a non traditional Nose/DT that can not only clog up the middle but shed blocks and get into the backfield. Davis is getting all the hype as he should but report concerns are his weight getting out of control. But if he is there at 20 common. Monster. Stopping the run is paramount and he loves taking on multiple blocks.

13. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    They normally keep seven Defensive linemen iirc

Heyward, Tuitt, Alualu, Adams, Loudermilk, Wormley, Davis

Even if they don’t draft anybody that’s not a bad group, if they do draft somebody high then presumably somebody gets cut, or one of Tuitt / Alualu opts out or retires etc. Only the team knows the status of those guys for 2022, they are the big variables in terms of putting the unit together.

14. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Man, this is a tough one.
    Pittsburgh was dead last against the run last season, if memory serves, something near 150 yds per game.
    That will get you beat to death as teams will do whatever they want against you.

Injuries did not help either.

You gotta stop the run with some sort of regularity.
    They run a 3-4 and the front three have to set those lanes for the back 4.
    The inside LB'g wasn't great, no doubt.
    So maybe they pick up help in the draft and along with a change in coaching, something good happens.

When teams run at will, it's like watching your little brother get the crap kicked out of him and you can't do anything about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

those two things i believe will make a huge difference. it's hard to blame the d-line when they played so much nickel with only two down linemen. i hope a little difference in coaching and coaching scheme will rise to the top over butler and his stale defense. ILB play has to be consistent. they can't continue to allow o-linemen to get on our backers and our backers can't just stand and wait to be blocked. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I hope Steelers pick a DE or NT in the first round. Please no QB!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  17. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Run D was horrendous last year but a combo of Tuitt MIA Bush sucking and Tyson getting hurt were obviously huge factors. Slowbert was also terrible. We got Jack now which should be an upgrade plus Tyson should be back although at his age who knows. Tuitt? And can Bush rebound? I wouldn’t count on it. He looks like a guy that doesn’t want to get hurt or doesn’t care either way it’s not good. We need Dline help and maybe early.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    When you're last in run defense, there is certainly going to be enough blame to go around.
    I have seen some turnarounds, and I don't know those are easy calls.
    But with new coaching and hopefully the coaching plays to the strengths of the players skills he has on hand...
    Maybe there's something there.

All I really consider is that they cannot repeat those stats and expect to be successful.

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Wormley isn't a NT, have you watched Mondeaux play? He certainly won't be the starter.

• Like Like x 1
  20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They normally keep 6 DL, if Tuitt returns then Davis can go to the practice squad.

21. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    If the PS rules return to pre covid he may not be eligible. A lot will depend on it there are spikes in the fall and how the league will respond.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Which is it???

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't know