1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB2022

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Apr 16, 2022.

1. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    In just watching the NFL replays of 2021, I believe our offense will be improved in 2022. JuJu will be missed as well as Ben’s experience on the field. However, anyone watching Ben’s play last season will see whether it be Trubisky or Rudolph (I believe we will see both) will be an upgrade over Ben’s ability over the last season and a half. As long as the Offensive line is improved we will be fine.

2. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Fine in terms of what?

3. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    If the offensive line is improved it would not be fair to compare the seasons. The line in ‘21 was terrible. A better line and NH has 2000 yards. Any QB could play better with time. But, there is no evidence put forth to suggest MR could outplay Ben.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    I don't think it's a stretch to think MR could play better then Ben did last season.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Especially if he gets first team reps starting in camp and a game plan designed around his strengths

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I don't know if 2022 is the Steelers year to shine.
    I think there too many "if's" as they move on from the Big Ben era.

If they can get good play from the QB spot.
    If they are improved on the O line
    If they can run the ball.
    If they can stop the run.
    Etc...

I look as it as the first step of "prove it" after the Big Ben era.
    I do like what I see but I am not sure they are as good as the Bengals, yet. (gotta beat those guys)
    And I don't know what to expect from Cleveland yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    experience will be less but and i mean but his experience didn't help the team much because of the physical limitations. we adjusted to bens lack of physical ability to the detriment of the rest of the team. in other words we limited the whole offense to make due with what he could still do. now fast forward. mason or trubisky have some skills but... their ability to guide the rest of this team on a consistent basis may come into play. we can't allow ourselves to get down big and expect a ben experience style of getting us back into the game. even with his limitations, he could do that to an extent. we must keep it close and under our control. we must move the ball and limit 3 and outs to keep the defense fresh. they have to get points off of turnovers. they have to now dictate the game flow. the offense has to grow together into a new style. what can the players bring to this offense? that will be the question. comparing this offense to anything they did in the past is really a mute point. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I will be curious 2 see How our Wrs look without Ben.
    I do think it's funny that a lot (I won't say names, but You can find them in the game day threads) said the Wrs were fine it was Ben, but now that He's gone....some of those same people are screaming about getting new Wrs.:shrug:
    Yes...Yes ....I know some left, but our main starters from last year are still Here. Yet they are screaming for 1st ,and 2nd round Wrs. :shrug:
    Just find that a little strange.

9. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    The year we went 11-0 it was because of the Defense we got there. We got to 11-0 in spite of Ben's play. He was winning games by the seat of his pants. Maybe I'll give him the first few games, but by game 6 that year it was clearly evident his arm was not what it once was. Ben's next 4 games he did not play any worse, but our Defense was getting beaten up with injuries.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    2022 = 2013 for QBs in the draft. It's a bad year to be drafting QBs. Wait until 2023.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    That will be the key. Once Trubisky was signed, so many were ready to write Mason off saying trade him. Maybe this is also the perfect QB battle to give Mason confidence if he wins the QB job. We can always wonder the "what could have been" on how Dwayne Haskins was factored into the post-Ben era. (May he Rest in Peace)

• Like Like x 1
  12. SteelersFanCanada

Nov 14, 2019
    I agree.

13. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    well, it's a good thing i didn't hear any of that;)

14. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Record could’ve been 0-0-17

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Disagree. 33 tds,and 10 ints in 15 games is not the seat of Your pants. Another Qb does exactly the same thing.....everyone talks about a great year.
    Broncos, 49er, Eagles, Washington, Raiders, and Cowboys...just 2 name a few ....Defense forced more turnovers than the Steelers that year.....how come their Qbs didn't have as many Tds????:shrug:

16. SteelersFanCanada

Nov 14, 2019
    Last season, it was almost a weekly discussion about Ben not seeing wide open guys, refusing to throw to the middle, missing makeable throws, and not being on the same page as receivers.

His veteran smarts and flashes of good play helped hide a lot. Also it's Ben, so some people ignore reality.

He had 22 TDs and 10ints in a 17 game season. I think Mason could've done that lol. For perspective, his production was around the same as QBs like Tannehill, Taylor Hieneke, Jimmy G and Mac Jones. Except Ben had a lower passer rating.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Truer words have never been spoken.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Problem with this is the wide open Wrs shown where as the ball is thrown....not before, or as He's trying 2 get away from a sack. This has been gone over.
    Funny all the Guys that said it was Ben's fault, and Wrs were wide open...are the same that are praying for Wrs in the 1st round. LoL....wonder why that is???
    Don't say because We had some leave. Because We should be able 2 get Wrs later in the draft like they did with Ben. No???

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. SteelersFanCanada

Nov 14, 2019
    I understand it's hard to accept, but Ben played very poorly last season.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. steelcity72

steelcity72 Member

Mar 15, 2022
    Always the excuses for Ben's terrible play.

• Like Like x 1
  21. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Poorly for what we've come to expect from Ben for sure. At age 39 its not really hard to imagine that his play would drop off though. Not too many guys lasted much longer than Ben did. He had a very good 2018 and it was really unfortunate to lose 2019 to injury. I am glad I got to see two more years of Ben after that though, because I thought he was done after that. Not too many 37 year old QB's lose a season to an elbow injury like he had only to come back and play pretty well the year after. 2021 was a year too many, but hard to fault the guy since his head and heart were in it... his body just left him. Age gets us all.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Having production similar to Tannehill and Jimmy G is hardly a shot though, right? Those guys are solidly average NFL starting QB's. Ben wasn't good to the standard we expect form Ben, but it was way better than having the team quarterbacked by Sam Darnold, Andy Dalton, Daniel Jones, or someone of that level. We would've seen a 5 win season if we had any of those idiots at the helm. Not sure Rudolph would've done as good as Ben either. I know its hard to come in as a back up, but he sure didn't impress when he had a chance at home vs the Detroit Lions (2nd overall pick).

Hopefully we can find the next guy soon because watching Ben was a treat. We will miss him for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. SteelersFanCanada

Nov 14, 2019
    It's not a shot at all, just a statement about where his level of play was. Ben is a HOF QB that has given is so many great seasons and moments throughout his career.

However, In the same breath that some harp about Fichtner/Canada being horrible for Ben, and the team, we assume Mason is just bad because that's who he is. Truth be told, I don't know what a full season of Mason would look like but 22TD/10INTs doesn't seem out of reach.

Hopefully we do figure out the QB situation because there are a lot of question marks with both Trubisky and Mason.

• Like Like x 1
  24. SteelersFanCanada

Nov 14, 2019
    Nothing but respect for Big Ben. He stood in there and took a lot of hits trying to will the team to victory.

I think his play was poor when you compare it to his career but it's probably average compared to other QBs in the league.

It was defintely his elbow injury that derailed things. That injury has been a career ender for lots of pitchers baseball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    It doesn't seem terribly out of reach, but at the same time, he gave us a 13TD 9INT performance in his only chance at a nearly full season only to see himself get benched for a guy who is playing QB in Canada. Hopefully Trubisky can become who everyone thought he could be when taken 2nd overall (ahead of Mahomes and Watson), otherwise we will have to dip our toes in the early QB draft pick carousel and see how that goes for us.