1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Diontae Johnson rumors

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Apr 18, 2022.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  2. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Sounds like a real class act,, Blast should be thrilled ...:roflmao:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Why is it so hard for a grown man to speak English

• Like Like x 6
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    What a weird take. Guy shoots down rumors and he’s low class :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  5. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

What majes them rumors? Him not admitting saying them?

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  6. steelcity72

steelcity72 Member

Mar 15, 2022
    Tomlin is the leader of these men, what else would you expect. Mike gets like $8mil per to come in at .500 and get embarrassed in playoff games. These guys see this, everyone gets a trophy these days. Give DJ his.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Pittsburgh has never begun extensions for players within their rookie contracts this early anyhow. More info can be found below.

For that matter and, one of the extremely few times I agree with Dave Bryan...

9. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I wanna get paid too! I don’t even need DJ money!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Maybe I'm wrong, but this feels like a totally contrived or overblown story.

• Agree Agree x 6
  11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    aren't there 3 other guys on their rookie deals wanting paid too that were just in the news? deebo, mclaurin and somebody all wanting paid.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Click bait.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    even if it is just click bait, it's disturbing to me that he was not in florida with the rest of his team mates and the new qb and now skipping these voluntary practices with his new qb. may mean nothing but may mean something. also should he get paid we could go through it again next year with claypool if he has a good season. time will tell i guess. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'd be more concerned about him skipping the voluntary workout, but then again it's just voluntary. As for the weekend get together, it seems like that was just thrown together with a week or two in advance. Johnson may have had other plans for that weekend. I do get the importance what these workouts are for, as far as building chemistry and such. But at the end of the day, until he starts skipping things like OTA's and mini camp, then I think we gotta play this by ear.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

yea thrown together but everybody else was there, but him. i still think he has a lot more to prove until he get's paid that kind of money. i like DJ and i think ben misused his talents so i'd love for him to get with trubisky and get a flow. i know they have time yet but it would be nice to see. it would show some leadership as well. :cool:

16. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Nice dog!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I do agree that he needs to show more to get paid. And I'm not afraid of letting him walk after his rookie deal. WR's are like literally trees in a forest, and are easily replaceable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    especially without any qb, wr chemistry. a new version of this offense with a guy that hasn't been here really is like a clean slate for qb wr chemistry. we may see a lot of established guys being replaced all over the league this year. so much money that they are demanding and though good, so are this new crop of wr's in this draft. teams may take their chances on them and put the money to other parts of the team for the terms of these new rookie contracts instead of being all in and tied up with one guy. :cool:

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Johnson is the hardest working receiver we have, I’m not worried about him missing an impromptu practice session.

Nor do I care about rumors. When he scrubs his media of all things Steelers, then it will mean something.

• Agree Agree x 5
  20. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

These voluntary sessions aren't about football. They are about weight training, conditioning etc...
    The workout in Florida was like inviting people over for a cookout.
    I do agree, you like to see the participation.

Johnson is due a raise, he has earned it.
    He is a Free Agent next year.

Pittsburgh like any good team has an Excel spreadsheet that determines what they expect to pay a player over the course of his career here.
    If he wants, say $25 mil/season, that's almost Tyeek Hill money, he is no Tyreek Hill - Let him walk.
    If he wants ~ $12-13 mil/season, that's more reasonable.

I, personally, would like to see them keep him. His numbers keep incrementing after recovering from fumblitis that first season.

I think Colbert would revisit his contract should Johnson actually be asking for a raise/extension.
    But it will be probably after training camp.

• Like Like x 1
  21. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    2 turntables and a microphone
    where it's at.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  22. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He is under contract for 2022. I feel they should sign him to an extension. Not worried about tweets unless he is a hold out. Like him or not he is our #1 receiver.

I laughed at Mashburn's post but fumbles happen. It will take at least 18 a year. A 4 year deal ripping up this years contract.

23. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    People who tweet in anagrams are world class ass hats.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    I hope I don't sound too old when I say this, but I would like to see players actually play out the contracts they agreed to.

I'm all for players getting paid, but holding out of a binding agreement to get what you want is frustrating to see. I understand the rookie contracts are standard, but those are the rules of the league. Don't like it? Improve things for the next generation when the CBA negotiations arrive.

Not to quote an Adam Sandler movie, but the argument in Mr. Deeds of "if you didn't play well, could we re-negotiate and pay you less" sticks out to me.

I aim to be pro-player, so perhaps my viewpoint needs to change.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some clouds to yell at.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Maybe he heard that our starting QB Mason Rudolph would not be going to Florida, so he just decided to avoid all the drama, and just focus on his training.

• Like Like x 1