1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Make or break year for these two players

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Apr 15, 2022.

1. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Easy to do when you know what play is coming.
    FBB
    FBBTD

• Like Like x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Green only going into year two he will get more time to develop.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Just because they might need to draft two receivers, doesn't mean they will ignore the CB position, they should get one within the first three rounds. Probably the only two CBs in the draft that can run with J Chase are Sauce, and Stingley.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You’re still hanging on to that?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Who they pick still depends on the health of two key players Tuitt and Alualu. We cannot go another year with only one good DL Heyward. Plus he is getting up in years. Loudermilk might develop and Wormley is not bad but Mondeaux is just filling a roster spot. Plus they play a 34 defense and don't have a nose tackle. Unfortunately I think Baltimore grabs the best available NT at 14 .
    I don't see any of the QB's in this draft worth a first round pick unless they see a huge upside down the road with someone like Corral in rd 2 or 3.
    First round picks should be starters and contributors if not week one then by part way through the season, reaching for a QB is paying a high price for mediocre talent.
    I think losing Dobbs then the tragic loss of Haskins will maybe force their hand as the cupboard is pretty bare right now.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Bush and Dotson

Both need to step up or step out

Dotson may be gone at first camp cuts

Bush will be on the team

• Like Like x 1
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Bush’ 5th year option for next year is set at $10.892MM

They have until May 3 to make a decision

I can make it for them now

• Like Like x 2
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Unless his conditioning went to complete ****, I can't imagine Dotson not making the team, certainly not in the first set of cuts.

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    May of this year, or next??

10. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Frankly, I don't need to see anymore of McFarland or Layne. I think what we've seen from them is what they were and are. Reaches/projects when they were picked who haven't amounted to much of anything other than occupying roster spots. They could cut both of them now and probably pick up more productive and cheaper UDFA's after the draft. I think Bush will have a better season coming up. How much improvement he has to show to get a shiny new (and lucrative) contract with the Steelers is open for debate. To me, he better be borderline All-Pro for where he was chosen. I get it wasn't his fault the Steelers might have overvalued and thus overreached for him. However, it is what it is. He either puts up this year or he's likely gone.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This year roughly two weeks

A cut and paste from a related article:

The decision can be officially made after the player's final regular-season game of his third year until the May 2 deadline.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    IDK

He was in the dog house last camp and he didn’t do much to impress me the rest of last season

The year before fans think he played well when he got in but they had to dumb down the offense a lot because he didn’t know what to do

If he got the message and shows up ready then he certainly has every opportunity

But this is a big hole to dig out of:

“He has done nothing to earn first-team reps,” Tomlin said. “What are we talking about? He’s a second-year guy who hasn’t worked.”

• Like Like x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Dotson gone by the second camp cuts may not surprise me at all personally. If anything, should the team move Kendrick Green to Guard and have Cole at Center.... Dotson will be in a fight for certain. Kendrick is doing all he can this offseason to get better no doubt. I would imagine Dotson is doing the same though. Coincidentally enough though... Kevin Dotson has been a Left Guard since his Rookie Season but Kendrick Green's position before switching to Center was.. Left Guard. I am also not counting out a IOL option in the upcoming draft either. Classic case of "Two Dogs, One Bone" likely in play come OTA's.. Training Camp soon thereafter.

100% agree on Bush though. Personally speaking, I would address ILB early; preferably Round 3 but keep an eye on Damone Clark. Yes, he is out due to his Spinal Fusion Injury but he is worth spending a Day Three pick on. Raw yes but the leadership, athleticism, intangibles, overall skillset and versatility are all worth banking on; doubly so since he will be only 23 by the time 2023 rolls around; Devin Bush's final year in all likelihood should his current trend continue.

If not Clark... Darrian Beavers from the University of Cincinnati or even Quay Walker from the University of Georgia are more immediate contributing options. That said, to get Quay Walker... likely needs to be a second round option for his athletic testing and physical dimensions, even by LB standards, push him into that range though he is a late Day 2 player.

• Like Like x 1
  14. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Add Pierre to that as well

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He will do well enough to hang around as depth at a minimum I would think

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Keep in mind he was on the field and subsequently played his way to the bench...
    He's just as much on the hot seat as Layne is

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think we can name several guys and not just two that need to show up this year. pierre, layne, green, okrafor, bush, dotson, claypool and highsmith. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    claypool

he has 6 cans but im not sure he has the thingie that holds them all together

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

i think he has the stuff but he's got to get his head on to become what he's capable of being. if he can't do that it's more of the up and down play that we have seen. work ethic seems to not where it needs to be at this point. so much potential that he's not working hard at showing weekly. i like the kid and hope the light comes on. he could be so much more. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    There will be purge for sure, it all depends how good of draft
    class we have. We need to upgrade are talent level at several positions
    for depth alone. CB, SS, OT, WR,ILB What are the consequences of moving up in the 2nd round to take a qb?
    Do we lose a draft pick this year? Hopefully Colbert will find a good trading partner?

• Like Like x 1
  21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i don't think they will move up. i think there is not much difference in the top 5-6 QB's. if there is it's slight. at 20 we should have our pick of 4-5 of them. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think the only QB's that will be available will be Howell or Ridder and I don't want either one until about
    42 in the 2nd round what would our penalty be for moving up to this position in the 2nd round?

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i think there are far too many quality players still on the board in the first 84 picks to give up draft capital by trading up. we could still draft quality fill some holes players in the first 4 rounds actually. get the qb and play for the 2-3-4th round best fits for what we need to add. there will be good players still. i don't think we have a major hole that needs filled with a have to have player at 20 if we didn't use it for a QB. that is a premium position and a position of need. SS, WR, CB, OT or even LB are deep enough for us to still get quality in this draft throughout the first 4 rounds. where i might try to move up is into the 5th round. our later 7th round picks could easily be priority UDFA's at that point for some added depth. i'd rather a 5th and late 7th then a 6th and two 7ths. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Thank You :thumbs_up: