1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers the worst of the 3 pro teams in Pittsburgh?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelHaven, Aug 30, 2015.

1. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    This isn't a flame post, it's more of a credit to how well all our teams are doing and how we should all be proud. Pirates possibly contending for a world series, the Penguins and their off season moves, it's a exciting time to be in Pittsburgh. The Penguins like the Steelers have defensive questions going into the season since they also are going in with mostly a young D. I'm less concerned with the Penguins D though begging the question if the Steelers are for the first time since the 60's going in as the (let's just say the least, since "worst" probably isn't the proper term).

Right now I'm looking at our team and thinking that our offense might be good enough (with a defense that is in a work in progress) to take us to 8-8. But if the defense can "atleast" hold up to steal 2 games and take us to 10-6, that we can take a playoff spot.

2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    While I'm as excited for the Buccos as the next guy, after today they are probably back to 4 1/2 games out of a one and done post season game. I know you said "possibly" but "contending for a world series" is light years away even if they manage to knock off the Cubs in a single wild card game. Being the optimist I truly believe that the Steelers will "possibly be contending for a" Super Bowl this year (not really though after watching the performance yesterday). :crycry:

3. SteelHaven

Sep 24, 2012
    Let me ask you, when was the last time we were able to speak of the buccos in that context, 1991?

4. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Actually as recent as last year and the year before. But my enthusiasm is curbed by the Pirates being stuck in the NL central and still staring at the backside of those dreaded Cardinals and still very likely having to deal with the 50/50 proposition of a single Wild Card game (just like 2013 and 14) but with the Cubs who we have had problems with this year. Turned out good in 2013 and very bad in 2014. That being said - it's not unlike the NFL where it's always a one and done arrangement each step of the way in the playoffs (unlike NHL and NBA). Won't stop me from cheering them on each day though.

5. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Well, I for one think the Wildcard game is at least a start, but a one game playoff is terribly unfair to teams that are fighting all season and may have better records than other division winners. This isn't like Football where it makes sense. A 3 game series would do it more justice.

6. SteelHaven

Sep 24, 2012
    I know you are just quoting the Pirates but with what all you are saying.. at the end of the year I see the Steelers in worse off shape than the Pirates because the defense is not up to par. ,However, I still think the steelers make the playoffs

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I agree with the premise but as it stands now - the WS will spill over into November. Add in a 3 game Wild Card series and soon we'll be having to listen to John Madden telestrating the Turducen during the World Series. :yawn:

8. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I agree - this is the best Pirate team depth wise and talent wise since 1992 - last time we finished 30 game over 500 as well. Just as long as Brandon Moss or Russel Martin doesn't replace Sid Bream rounding third to end our run. :frustrated:

9. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    The Giants just did it last year from the bottom wild card spot. Also still have 6 to go against the Cards. The difference in this Pirate team and the last two is the bench and the shear confidence they have. You can look at them and see they never believe they are out of the game. They are always battlin

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Penguins are the biggest under achievers in the NHL, 2 of the best talents in the world and still only 1 cup. Boy do they have this town hood winked.
    Go Bucs & Steelers.

11. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    People overreact to much.

12. SteelHaven

Sep 24, 2012
    It's kind of like saying Steve Young is an underachiever because he "only" has 1 super bowl. Those 2 talents are in their prime and still have many years left to deliver so lets wait and see how they build the pieces around them.

13. SteelHaven

Sep 24, 2012
    lol I agree! try to make a positive thread about how well and lucky we are (generally speaking) all of our teams are doing and it turns into a B**** fest.

14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    [QUOTE
    ="SteelHaven, post: 312841, member: 1130"]It's kind of like saying Steve Young is an underachiever because he "only" has 1 super bowl. Those 2 talents are in their prime and still have many years left to deliver so lets wait and see how they build the pieces around them.[/QUOTE]

Dream on.

15. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    The Pirates will likely finish with the second best record in the NL and their reward? A one-and-done playoff game with the Cubs, who throw Jake Arrietta at them and win, 5-0. That one-game wild card is stupid. It burned the Bucs last season, and it will this season, too.