1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Now what? QB related

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Bend Steel, Apr 10, 2022.

1. Bend Steel

Bend Steel Well-Known Member

May 26, 2018
    I did not want to put this in the Haskins thread. It felt disrespectful. I am curious though how this works in regard to salary cap etc. I would guess that it just comes off the books, but do any signing bonuses come back or dead money? The news was devastating and it hit me hard yesterday when I saw the news flash. So rare, that I have no idea how the financial end of it works. Okay, blast away at me.

I would say the QB is pick #1. Period.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I couldn't tell You.
    I really don't know much about the financial side of Football at all. I bet @Thor , or many others could tell You.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    There was no signing bonus, it was a tender that I believe was guaranteed. Whether it was dependent on him Making the roster idk. The cap hit was going to be around 2 million, not really a significant amount in this age of teams eating millions. Either way the cap impact is insignificant compared to the loss of life.

As for pick 1 being a QB I do not necessarily agree. You stay the course and do not reach on any position. If the guy you wanted is there then take him, but grabbing for need rarely works well. They signed MT on the cheap for 2 years fir a reason.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I'm sure that the Art II will honor his contract this year and give it to his wife. This is what I want to see.

They will add a QB but it doesn't necessarily mean they will take a QB in the 1st.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Yea, I tend to think Art II will pay the family the contract value anyways, and offer whatever family needs they might have.

As for moving on. It's tough. I'm guessing our target will ultimately be Desmond Ridder in the 2nd.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I hope that Ridder is not even in the conversation. If he is available in the 3rd round I might consider it but otherwise it's a hard pass for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I hear you. Ultimately all of these QBs are a hard pass for me.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  9. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Haskins was penciled in as the number 3 QB on the depth chart...I think his passing has no bearing on whether they would / will draft à QB or not jmo

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    This hurts the team both on a personal level and professional level. But, with all due respect, I don’t believe anyone really felt that Haskins was competing for the starting position. We can sign a quality backup without needing to reach in the draft

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I think other teams this has happened to some owners still give the money to the family. However the NFL won't mark it as cap space.

Also I have a feeling Baker is about to be cut. And we will pick him up.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I posted this in the thread when he was signed again.

"...nothing is guaranteed on the RFA tender..."
    https://overthecap.com/a-quick-primer-on-nfl-free-agent-tenders

Having said that, I have no idea what sort of (life or injury) insurance they have for players.
    And I would guess between the Rooneys and the teammates chipping in, the family will be taken care of for now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Considering they only have two on the roster, it looks like they have to. Unless they grab two FA's over the summer. Then we have to consider whether or not Mason is a potential locker room cancer, which means he'll probably be traded late in camp/early in the season.

14. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Please say no to Baker Mayfield. Stay far far away.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    If they like Ridder, I would not be surprised if he is the guy at 20. I don't think Ridder makes it to late round 2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I read that at the time, but also read another sight that expanded the rules on those who were given a 1st round tender. It gets complicated because there is an RFA tender, but I do not think DH was that, but fell under ERFA . I'm actually looking at the NFL FA glossary and cannot find exactly what he fell under based on the amount of his cap hit..clear as mud lol

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If Baker is cut anyone can sign him for vet minimum

Therefore Baker can select from all teams interested

I would think he would want to go where he would have a chance to be a starter

Do you think he would think he had that chance here

Because if he is not the starter he will be a malcontent

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Dwayne Haskins contract was not guaranteed and there was no signing bonus, unless I’m missing something they can void the deal with no cap implications, i.e. no dead money. If they choose to do that I hope they look after his family, albeit he has already earned a lot of money and his estate should be substantial, his wife and family should already be well set up financially. I’m sure that is the least of their concerns right now.

• Like Like x 1
  19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They will draft a QB, and sign one as a UDFA for a camp arm.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Guaranteed or not, the Steelers have a cap hit of $2,540,000 for Haskins regardless if they pay that money to the family or not.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  21. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    That's a good point. And I do like how trubisky is doing. However I would point to teams that had a QB step in after an injury, and the team continued with the new QB regardless how the original one recovered..... 49ers did that with Alex Smith and I forget the other guys name.

So Baker knows here that we have greatly improved our team with glaring holes.

So would you want to go to a team that isn't well rounded, that you're only chance of playing is if a "chance" QB gets injured and then you can show your better. Or go play for a team to start on, however it's not well rounded at all.

22. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Over the cap says there is no dead cap money. They now have 2.54 million more cap space. Even if the Steelers pay the family I doubt the NFL would count it against the cap. What website are you getting your information?

• Informative Informative x 4
  23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He might even want to come here to stick it to Cleveland twice a year

I would not expect anything to happen until after the draft

• Like Like x 1
  24. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Sorry your son/husband/father died would you be so kind as to return the money we paid him

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ditto Spotrac