1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dwayne Haskins

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelrules, Apr 9, 2022.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    At first I couldn't understand this thread as Twitter or Schefter had already removed his tweet and the thread just said "This Tweet is unavailable".
    upload_2022-4-9_11-28-58.png

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Terrible,terrible news,Rip Dwayne

3. Ben There

Ben There Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Rest In Peace Dwayne!

4. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I don't get why people actually walk in the road/ highway ?

lorida Highway Patrol spokesperson Lt. Indiana Miranda confirmed the accident on westbound Interstate 595. Haskins was pronounced dead at the scene.

Miranda didn't say why Haskins was on the highway. The accident caused the highway to be shut down for several hours.

"He was just walking on the highway and got hit," Miranda told The Associated Press.

Haskins was training in South Florida with other Steelers quarterbacks, running backs and wide receivers.

"I am devastated and at a loss for words with the unfortunate passing of Dwayne Haskins," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said in a statement. "He quickly became part of our Steelers family upon his arrival in Pittsburgh and was one of our hardest workers, both on the field and in our community. Dwayne was a great teammate, but even more so a tremendous friend to so many. I am truly heartbroken.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife, Kalabrya, and his entire family during this difficult time."

After a standout 2018 season at Ohio State, Haskins was selected 15th overall by the Washington Commanders in the 2019 draft.

Haskins spent two turbulent seasons with Washington before signing in Pittsburgh before last season.

[​IMG]
    Entering his second season with the Steelers, quarterback Dwayne Haskins had been in South Florida training with teammates.Gene J. Puskar/AP
    "We are devastated to hear the news of the tragic passing of Dwayne Haskins Jr.," Commanders owners Daniel and Tanya Snyder said in a statement. "He was a young man with a tremendous amount of potential who had infectious personality. To say we are heartbroken is an understatement. Our hearts and prayers are with the members of Dwayne's family and all of those who knew him and loved him."

"Dwayne was a talented young man who had a long life ahead of him," Commanders coach Ron Rivera said in a statement. "This is a very sad time and I am honestly at a loss for words. I know I speak for the rest of our team in saying he will be sorely missed. Our entire team is sending our heartfelt condolences and thoughts and prayers to the Haskins family at this time."

Haskins played in 15 games over two seasons with Washington, compiling a Total QBR of 29.4 -- the league average during that time was 63.5. He threw 12 touchdown passes to 14 interceptions.

Haskins' time in Washington started somewhat controversially, as the scouts and coaches lobbied against drafting him with the 15th pick -- but Snyder wanted him. Haskins was a big name locally, having starred for three seasons at Bullis High School in Potomac, Maryland.

Haskins started seven games in his rookie year and the first four games the following season, but was benched after a 30-10 loss to Baltimore. Haskins was released by Washington later that season and went unclaimed on waivers. He signed a reserve/future contract with Pittsburgh in January 2021.

Saying he was humbled by the decision, Haskins stressed he was eager to work hard and absorb as much as he could from Ben Roethlisberger and Mason Rudolph. He made the roster as the third-stringer but dressed only once, serving as the backup in a tie with Detroit after Roethlisberger was placed into the COVID-19 protocol the night before the game.

In response to the news of Haskins' death, Rudolph simply tweeted, "Devastated."

Steelers linebacker T.J. Watt remembered Haskins as an "upbeat guy."

Tomlin and general manager Kevin Colbert both praised Haskins for his improvement since joining the team, and the Steelers re-signed him to a one-year deal as a restricted free agent in March. He was expected to compete with Rudolph and Mitch Trubisky for a spot.

"We're excited to see what Dwayne can provide, either from competition, or maybe he evolves as a starter," Colbert said in January.

Haskins had his greatest on-field success at Ohio State. After spending his first two seasons behind J.T. Barrett, Haskins beat out Joe Burrow to be the Buckeyes' starting quarterback going into the 2018-19 season.

Haskins backed up the Ohio State coaching staff's decision by delivering perhaps the greatest passing season in program history. He set Big Ten single-season records for passing yards (4,831), touchdown passes (50) and total offensive yards (4,939), in addition to a total of 28 school records.

The record-setting year led to Haskins being named a Heisman Trophy finalist and a third-team AP All-American.

"The loss of Dwayne is beyond tragic and extremely difficult to process," current Ohio State coach Ryan Day, who was Haskins' position coach as well as the Buckeyes' acting head coach in 2018, posted to Twitter. "For those who knew him closely, he was much more than a great football player. He had a giant heart, old soul and an infectious smile. The Ohio State community and our entire football program are heartbroken."

In his final game as a Buckeye, Haskins threw for three touchdowns and 251 yards in a Rose Bowl victory over Washington.

"The Ohio State Department of Athletics is terribly saddened to learn the death of Dwayne Haskins Saturday morning," the school said in a statement. "We are thinking of the entire Haskins family during this most difficult time. Our prayers are with the family, and with his current and former teammates, coaches, friends and relatives."

"Heartbroken to hear of the loss of Dwayne Haskins Jr.," former Buckeyes coach Urban Meyer tweeted Saturday. "My thoughts and prayers go out to his incredible family. One of the greatest QB's in Ohio State history, but an even better son, teammate, and friend. God Bless!!"

Information from ESPN's John Keim and The Associated Press was used in this report.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Whoah… I’ve always had a ton of respect for Gil, but that was over the top inappropriate. WTF

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Just so the news.......will pray for his family and friends as Iam sure all Steeler Nation will /A sad reminder that we all must be ready as we never know when our time will come. Remember that the next thing we say to our loved ones may be the last thing they hear. God Bless All of You.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That can't be real.

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    so, so sad. prayers for his family. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Shocked to read this. So sad.

11. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Gil Brandt is 90 years old so he might have some type of cognitive issue going on to utter such an insensitive statement.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    It’s real and Cam is not happy about it…

@CamHeyward
    ·
    1h

@Gil_Brandt I do not know or will assume to but please don’t speak on my friend. He will be missed and your words are disgraceful. We are all hurting right now

• Like Like x 1
  13. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Horrible tragedy. So sorry to hear of this and my thoughts to his family.

14. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    What he said may be in poor taste, but maybe there is some truth to it:shrug:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Here's a quote posted in the Pgh Tribune: “Mr. Haskins was walking on a limited access facility (highway/expressway) for unknown reasons. He was attempting to cross the westbound lanes of Interstate 595 when there was oncoming traffic. Unfortunately, he collided with a dump truck,” according to Florida Highway Patrol spokeswoman Lt. Indiana Miranda." I read somewhere else he had run out of gas. None of it makes sense. So bizarre and sad. Bless you Dwayne, by most accounts from those who knew you, you seemed like a great person to know and be around. RIP.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    He is getting blasted on media. The way the guy phrased the question did not help. Im not defending, but awareness is something that needs to be looked into in these situations. There are things that just do not need to be said or even explored in times like this. Many statements have been posted from.those who know him, read those and move on. Compassion is something to strive for, no?

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Brownsgal

Brownsgal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2018
    Hi Folks.

I just wanted to say that I am so sorry about your loss of Dwayne Haskins.

He seemed like a very upstanding young man. Coach Tomlin's statement crushed me.

I am sorry for you all.

• Like Like x 3
  18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This was copied from a Facebook comment. People never cease to amaze me.

With the passing of DH I guess this means Tuitt won’t play this season either.

19. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Thank you. When a tragedy like this happens it affects the whole league. All our rivalries are put aside to mourn the tragic loss of a 24 year old young man.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Really? what society do you live in where everything is unicorns and rainbows?,

21. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Like i said may he rest in piece, and prayers to his family and friends, but lets also send our prayers to the families of the 100's of kids/young adults/ people who died today, that arnt in the national spotlight

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wow, freaking dump truck.

Him being on the highway seems to back up the running out of gas story going around.

23. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I saw this during my first break today and was stunned. Finished out my shift and heart is broken for his family and teammates. The losses that are sudden hurt is the most. Such a tragedy.

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Another tough loss for the team during the off season, they lost the WR coach that died suddenly last season or the one before.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Gil Brant is like 100 years old. He’s your embarrassing grand parent who doesn’t GAF and lost their verbal filter and says whatever they’re thinking leaving you to apologize for them.

• Agree Agree x 3