1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

WR Market

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 6, 2022.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers may have to draft two WR’s. Another big contract handed out to Diggs.

Here’s the current valuation of market.

2. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    When was DJ signed
    ?

Nevermine i see its someone playing make believe

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Kinda shows the importance of signing Honey Badger or Edmunds and kicking the SS can down the road a few years. I still think we need another DL and CB plus those couple of WRs, not to mention a QB for at least depth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Yea, I don't see DJ being worth that much. If he is, I think he's great trade bait.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  5. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I'm fine drafting. You can pick up some good WR in the third and fourth.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    We don’t know what we have for a QB. Trubisky can finally live up to his draft position or he confirms his role as a career backup. Draft a WR and roll with the veterans we have

7. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    He can be a solid WR, but there's no way I'd want the front office to shell out nearly $90 million for him!

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    If the FO isnt sure about any of these QBs, I'd kick the tires on Chris Olave at 20.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Most Steelers WR don’t get a second contract. These contracts being handed out around the league is going to make it very hard for DJ to get another one here.

Last reports I heard was they were working on contracts for he and Minkah. We shall see, hope they can keep him.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    How can you trade him though? We lost 3 wr in FA, he is on the last year of his contract. You can try and tag then trade him next year, but still dicey as that tag value will be quite high.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    The market for WR is a hot item, eventually it will find its leveling off point. Every year there are quite a few quality WR coming into the league, many found in later rounds. Not saying the top WR won't command big bucks, but it's not like how sparse franchise Qbs are. Eventually the amount of available quality WR will settle the market.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Right ..And I'm not a Cosmo Claypool fan, as you all know..I think he's a bust so...Gonna need " a couple " good WR's

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    A Swann Stallworth draft is overdue . Ok dream on, I know

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  14. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Rem that when Claypool is leading the team in WR yards and TD's this year

15. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    We'll see.........

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    That won't be too hard to do should DJ pull a hammy or something.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    DJ is just so much better than Claypool that He might only need 13-14 games to overtake Claypool's 17 game total.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    DJ is soo much better than any one on here gives him credit for.

I say pay the man. Lock him down now. WR values are only going to go up. I would rather pay him now than after he has his first team MVP type season

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    People got soooo mad that I thought 16 million for DJ would be a great contract (and he would be worth every penny of that). I said that the WR market would be reset by lots of guys getting new contracts in the high 20's (and I also said someone would break 30 million a year this offseason). The fact is that the WR position is a big money position. If you want a good player to be your #1 receiver, then you'll likely be forking out 20 million a year or more. If you want to bargain bin shop at the 15-16 million range, you get someone like Brandon Cooks or Robby Anderson to be your #1 receiver... and that would be awful.

Diontae Johnson is easily a top 20 WR in the league whether you want to admit it or not. In 2021 he was 10th among WR's in yards, 12th among WR's in TD's, 5th among WR's in catches, 20th among WR's in plays over 20 yards, and 10th among WR's in plays over 40 yards. He did this playing in less than 17 games (one missed to injury and was knocked out of one other mid game) on a bad offense (29th rush offense, 15th pass offense, 23rd in total points). He has gotten better every year he has been in the league, is by all means a hard worker and keeps himself out of trouble off the field. There's nothing to not like about the kid really. Everyone's brain is just too far stuck in 2012 to accept that a contract coming in under 20 million dollars a year would be GREAT for the Steelers to get a player of DJ's caliber. By the end of a 5 year contract that 20 mil a season would likely make him barely a top 32 paid WR.

We all just need to wake up to the reality that the market is different. We can't be averse to a dollar amount just because we are stuck in the past on valuations. The maximum cap for 2022 is 208 million.... ten years ago it was 120 million. Think about that. That means a player in 2012 worth 10 million a year would be worth about 17.5 million a year in today's market. in 2002 (20 years ago) the max cap was 71 million. To put that in perspective, Antonio Brown's first big contract with us was for 5 years/41.9 million in 2012. Adjusting for max cap inflation value that would be about 14.4 million a year in 2022 money. And that was before he even became AB over the course of the next 6 years following that contract.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    You're being kind. Diontae Johnson is a Top 10 receiver with his arrow pointing up IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I don't care for giving WR second contracts of big money. You can find WR in the third round all the time.

Honestly they're probably the last position I prefer to locking up.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You should try and retain the good ones though. I don’t think Johnson has hit his ceiling yet and drops are seriously overblown. Yes, you’d rather he not have a two drop playoff game but for the regular season, dude barely dropped anything, made vast improvement from the year before. The work and dedication he put into overcome that should be admired.

He has tremendous work ethic, top notch ability to separate and runs great routes. I’d lock him up for sure. Hopefully they hit on a WR they draft this year and they will have a nice trio.

23. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think DJ will get into the top 10 WR contracts, I know he's good and has great numbers, but Ben's short passing game really help inflate those numbers. Let's see what Ben's successor does and how that affects DJ's stats. Remember that nearly every WR that left for big money has not had nearly the success as they did with the Steelers and Ben under center.

24. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Ideally they lock Diontae up at somewhere between $16m - $18m, $22m a year seems like an awful lot.

It’s fine saying there are good receivers coming out each year but you need at least some continuity and as others have said DJ is a very good receiver that can still get better.

I am also hoping for a bounce back from Claypool, he better be working his ass off this offseason because he is coming in to a very important year.

25. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    You have to try and keep the good ones. By that other guys logic we should have let TJ walk because you can find someone in the draft. While he contends DJs numbers were inflated I also think he was limited by our aging Qbs inanity to throw long, a poor OL that made it difficult to do anything beyond a quick drop, and no true threat from our team to spread the field. It easy to say get a 3rd or 4th rounder, and yes they can be productive, but most rookies are not going to explode on the scene. I also hope they can find a mutually beneficial deal. I think he can be a real star, if they get the talent around him.

• Like Like x 1