1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrell Edmunds probably coming back on the cheap

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BK99, Mar 24, 2022.

1. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Im not sold long term, but doubtful they can afford the top talent and a rookie is just as vulnerable. Signing him to a 1 or 2 year affordable is not bad strategy at this point. Again jmho.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m good with that. I think at this point he’s a number three safety.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

He will be a number three safety if somehow, someway, Kyle Hamilton falls to the Steelers at 20. I seriously doubt they would be trading up for any Defensive Player with the possible exception of Jordan Davis pending a Top 30 Pre Draft Visit. For that matter, I am not in the mindset that the Steelers would ignore Kyle either unless they believe they can find a better player to perform multiple roles as a Safety; JaQuan Brisker, Daxton Hill and Nick Cross (Maryland) being my only personal bets.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Sounds to me like he is trying to generate interest by acting as if there is interest.

I'm sure he will eventually sign somewhere, but not for near the money he and his agent had hoped.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I doubt it, he’s not in demand, no team is going to go uh oh, he’s got offers, I better get moving on the Edmunds sweepstakes. Likewise the Steelers aren’t going to go, ****, we might lose him, better up the ante.

Probably has a slightly higher offer elsewhere than the Steelers are offering and mulling that over.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    A roast beef sandwich vs a roast beef sandwich with tomato

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  7. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Unless a Team has plans to move him to a tweener role much closer to LB play then he has very little value.. He is just to stiff in the hips and can't change direction fast enough to Cover a deep Quarter much less a half or Single High.. As such very limited as to what you can call with him at a Safety spot..

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He is just average. Need more then that paired with Fitzpatrick. And the Steelers seem to feel the same.

There is none. None. Except bringing him back on the cheap which i'm against.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That was my point that he isn't getting much interest. That is a trick agents use to drum up interest, either by leaking something to the press or having the player say something that indicates there are teams making offers when they actually aren't. Scott Boras is famous for using phantom teams when trying to get his baseball players signed.

The value of Edmunds is limited, even more so to every other team than the Steelers. At least he knows the system in Pittsburgh. You want a guy who has been that slow to develop to add learning a new system to his challenges? Not good. Maybe you are right and the Steelers are low-balling him, but I think my scenario is more likely.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Is this the year he NFL matures like William Gay, Ike Taylor, or Bud Dupree?

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Bud had a injury, and Ike was just learning 2 play CB....after being a Wr .
    Edmunds has no excuses.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Agree. Reaching for need over best player alot of time doesn't workout. Only time I say it's ok is at qb.

• Like Like x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Why do You think it's OK for a Qb???

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Most important position. But that's only if a qb is a first round or higher grade. Like for example, right now Aaron Donald is probably the best player in the NFL but if I were drafting rn there's at least 5 qbs maybe even more I'd take before even thinking about him.

• Like Like x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I still can't reach. Otherwise You end up like Browns, Jets, and so on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I mean it's hard to get it right for a qb. It's also the hardest position to judge. Especially out of college. Of course you have the can't miss guys like Andrew luck but it's always a crap shoot.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I honestly think the 2 hardest positions 2 judge are the Qb, and the CB.

• Agree Agree x 6
  18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    "Worst agent ever"... for Edmunds. Still nothing but crickets on Edmunds visiting or even having contact with other teams.

At least send the kid on vacation to Denver, Cincinnati, Minnesota or any other NFL home that has a need for a safety. Have him take a couple of selfies and then post them on his internet account and poof, you will have 42 "Breaking News" reports about Edmunds going to this and that team.

• Like Like x 2
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. Just shows what everyone thinks, and this is with a 1st round pick that is still young, and healthy.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Consider that almost half the teams in the league have safeties who are below average.
    Fitzpatrick (one of the best) + Edmunds (average) is better than most safety duos around the league.

While it would be nice to have above-average or better opposite Fitzpatrick, that usually means paying for the privilege.
    That's why I think that Edmunds at the right price is a better value than drastically overpaying for Tyrann Mathieu.
    (If Mathieu's asking price goes way down, or a prize player is drafted, then the math changes.)

• Like Like x 2
  21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i still think the teams problems start at ILB and it affects the safeties. now we have to be careful in this draft. many of these top draft picks are minkah fitzpatrick free safeties. we need a strong safety. edmunds wasn't that bad of a strong safety but we expect coverage out of these guys. i think hamilton will have trouble in this area as well. if our ILB'ers could run stop better our strong safety won't be as quick to expect to have to cover the run because the linebackers failures. if he could think coverage first duties and run support as a secondary job. with our linebackers our strong safeties almost always have to consider they will be needed for the run because the linebackers can't. this gets them out of coverage position way too often.

look at all the tackles even minkah had to make last year. edmunds was 3rd in tackles. this is a let down by the OLB'ers and ILB'ers in their jobs. it creates these problems for the safeties and DB's.

if we draft a daxton hill, brisker, cine, cross, pitre, we better make sure we get ILB help. from all the visits i am seeing we are looking at doing just that. if we are going to draft these FS types to play the pass better as we use them at strong safety we must shore up the middle of the field with good LB'er play.

scenario two is we make minkah our strong safety and draft one of these guys as our free safety. minkah is capable of that. we still need to free him up from run support first looks and allow him to play it as just that, support. our coverage would be much better from the position and we would survive better with the corners we have. it all starts with the linebackers, especially if we are to keep playing this two down lineman sets. they have used that so much anymore.

we can blame the d-line for our low ranking against the run but usually there are only two of them being used. when i say linebackers i mean outside and inside. as good as watt is and highsmith can be as pass rushers, they don't do that good of a job in run stopping. this problem went back to the woodley days. add then the inside linebackers not being great against the run and you see the run ranking suffer. you also see a strong safety out of position in coverage knowing that he has to on nearly every play be a guy to make a tackle most likely. play action kills him.

scheme probably made edmunds worse looking then he may have been in coverage. in the nfl a step or two delay can be a killer against the pass. you better have excellent recovery speed. to do this. edmunds had good speed but wasn't a twitchy player. make him wait a step or two because he may have to support the ineptness of linebackers, you see coverage suffer.

i know this is a long winded response but we have to fix the root of the problem or it will never change. it's just changing bodies, whether it's D-linemen or strong safety or corner. this scheme needs good linebacker play and consistent linebacker play to make the rest of our players work and the scheme to work.

our new coaches. i hope in some way they can help. if we keep having the same problem it isn't all about the players, it's how the players are used. we didn't have this problem with dick lebeau because our defensive linemen were used differently. our inside linebackers were used differently. they were less coverage first players. we used a big snack and DE's to collapse the pocket around a QB. we used them to take the offensive linemen out of reaching the linebackers. the DB's didn't have to cover as long. when they played zone they could see the play evole and the receivers didn't have all day to run and get open. DLB clamored for years to give him man cover corners instead of zone only that we kept drafting. he wanted guys that could do both. harder to find but man capable.

the scheme is bigger then just a new body at a position and expecting it all to change. blame edmunds, blame the d-linemen, blame the DB's. change all these players but until the 4 linebackers play their position and the use of the d-line changes, i expect we will just be blaming a different name in a couple of years.

if we look at who they have visiting, we see QB's of course but tons of linebackers. just like dick wanted zone/man corners, we need rush/run stopping linebackers. the inside guys have to cover in pass coverage but then we have to play the front differently too. each level and how they play affects the next level.

OK my rant is over and i will now publish this book i wrote, but i hope it calls to light some of this defenses woes, and we quit just blaming and changing bodies and expect them to make other levels of the defense better. :drinks::cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    We don’t know who he has visited with. As far as still being unsigned, so is Mathieu.

• Like Like x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Mathieu is old, has been injured, and wants a lot of money. If Mathieu was as Young as T. Edmunds ....He would have already been snatched up....regardless of money....He has already shown this......So what is Edmunds excuse???? He's an average player is what it is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Waiting till after the draft when teams miss on picking up a safety and then become desperate.

If the Steelers do not get a safety early Edmunds should be able to demand a couple of million more than if he signed back with them before the draft.

• Like Like x 2
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree the DL, and ILB must be better, but there is No way in Hell....no matter what should Minkah have 2 have , or have more tackles then whomever our SS is....be it T. Edmunds or anyone. So if Edmunds can't cover ,and makes Minkah take most of the tackles....He is wasting Minkah potential....IMO