1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tyrann Mathieu

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 88Unstoppable82, Mar 21, 2022.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I feel very thankful todays video technology and social media didn’t exist when I was that age

Stone tablets and hieroglyphics were bad enough

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  3. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    huh? those are the signing numbers and what we will be charged and are paying these guys. it's not speculation at all. cap numbers are there. plus we will owe two other guys by the start of the season because that is just the top 51 counting at this point. the only signing not accounted for is genard avery yet. the draft hasn't been entered yet but we will owe for it and the practice squad. we have been spending money with these signings.

okrafor
    wallace
    jack
    witherspoon
    avery
    daniels
    cole
    oszewski
    adams
    trubisky
    haskins
    allen
    spillane
    maulet
    killebrew
    hassenauer

that's a lot of guys signed and accounted for up until this time. each chips away at the money we had at one time. that's 16 players, if they averaged 2 million each that 32 million dollars spent. with 13 left that about 45 million that we had at one time. i'm not sure where you are thinking we have so much left over to work with. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL :lolol:
    Yes I find with hieroglyphics....You could always say...., but that's not Me. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Go watch it every year and between FA and the draft they change it for no reason.

Furthermore we haven't asked one player to adjust their contract, like we do sometimes. So if we want someone, we have several ways to making it happen.

One move could be Watt 20 million this year being turned into a singing bonus.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. 88Unstoppable82

88Unstoppable82 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2021
    The next logical question for this topic now becomes - does the Joseph signing render the Mathieu possibility moot? What does everyone think?

8. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I don't think think it effects Mathieu nor Edmunds at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    My grandkids are shocked when I tell them that my first office job in 1976 we didn't have a copier. If we wanted to copy a piece of paper we used carbon paper. They had no idea what that even is.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Except make you wonder who was the Bigger 1st round reach Joseph or Edmunds at Safety?

FYI Joseph went in the 1st round at pick number 14. -GO RAIDERS :)

Professional career(WIKI)
    Coming out of West Virginia, Joseph was projected by the majority of NFL draft experts and scouts to be a second or third round pick.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Well there are reasons for it. When signings are announced and when they actually happen if won't be shown. Until the actual league year begins many things as money moved forward from the prior year doesn't get added.

I also said as we sit right now that is what we have left. They could still make moves but there is a cost of each of those things. There are only so many moves that we can make. The bigger money guys have been restructured. Just because it becomes signing bonus doesn't make it disappear. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And a purple mimeograph before that

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I didn't say it makes it disappear. What I did say is it allows us to sign whoever we want.

Anyhow even if everything was left alone. Over the cap still changes a lot over these few months from FA to the draft.... Go watch a few years of week to week. And you'll see sometimes there is no players added, and over the cap lowers/increases for no reason.

14. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Give actual examples, and maybe we can help you.
    All the numbers are on the web page.
    Any increases or decreases can be tracked down, even if the reason isn't immediately obvious.

For instance, a few weeks ago I noticed that the Browns and the Steelers had similar cap space, and then a few days later the Browns had $10M less. Same number of players. Took me a while to realize that there was a delay on their figures in accounting for the franchise tag on David Njoku.

• Like Like x 1
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    But Mathieu would certainly affect Edmunds

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I've just seen it over and over again. And it's not just about the number of players. All I can say is watch it yourself and you'll see it jump up and down like penny stocks.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    when it does it is for a reason. workout bonuses. incentives reached. roster bonuses. there are a number of reasons for it moving. dead money down the road hurts a team at some point if you keep making these moves and you have to have the big contract players signed to make those moves and right now the steelers are running out of those types of contracts. 26 million in dead money this year from those types of deals. a huge amount of money due heyward next year because of these kind of moves.

any way back to my original post on this, we have under 13 million now towards the cap as we sit. we owe avery, joseph, the draft class, the practice squad, and the amount we take into the season out of that yet. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    We're not going to agree. Just like spotrac and overthecap don't agree. I'm fact when the numbers are with both of them, overthecap accused spotrac of stealing from his website and was looking for a lawyer to sue them.

I've watched this over and over again every year with all teams. They change it for no reason at all, even when all the players are on there and no players get added.

So it's not $13 million. It's closer to $20.

watch they'll add Avery and Joseph. And next week we'll have more cap for no reason. Or something stupid like that. It happens all the time with over the cap and the other website..... Only time you should look at numbers is before free agency and after the draft.

19. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Oh by the way big Ben dead cap is more than likely going to be broken up over two years. Almost every team does it that way for when a player retires.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Also even if it really was 13 we had. we could pay honey badger 7 million this year. 14 next year. And then 16 his third year.... Which makes this year still able to pay rookies with ease.

And that's without moving money around.

So if a team wants a player, there's hundreds of ways they can make it happen. Example, go look at the saints. They cleared 100 million dead cap and was in the market for Watson.

21. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    There goes the last of My coffee. LoL

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. 88Unstoppable82

88Unstoppable82 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2021
    An article today states that the Steelers have around $13 million right now, and will need around $10 million for their draft class (it doesn't mention if that includes the UDFAs, but let's assume it does).

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/news/pittsburgh-steelers-nine-teams-tyrann-mathieu

They're almost certainly going to go into the season with more than $3 million in reserve, so let's just say this - the Steelers aren't finished maneuvering their cap space.

• Like Like x 1
  24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

LOL thank you 88-82. isn't that what i told him? never once did i say we couldn't do other things to move money. i simply stated that's what we currently have. :shrug::cool:

25. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Just for that, I'm going to let my dog tinkle on your rims.

I mess with people when they say resign instead of re-sign

• Like Like x 1