1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Terry Bradshaw - Going Deep

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel machine, Feb 24, 2022.

1. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    The Steelers 1st two Super Bowl wins, were really built off a good defense and great ground attack.

The 2nd two Super Bowl wins, were really do in a big increase in the air attack, by Bradshaw, Swann, and Stallworth

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Bro, I don't want to imagine.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I don't know many who have actually watched those games, nor some of the games of the season. They just seen highlights. The reason why I made a stance like I have, is due to watching the entire game. As well as some of the regular season games.

I used to be an enrolled agent and my wife is a senior tax accountant. Down the hall from us was Joe Szczecko. He was the first DT on the falcons. And now is a lawyer..... Anyhow we used to sit in his office talking about those days where you had pre season games of the top drafted college kids facing and NFL team. (To which one beat the Green Bay Packers coming off a Superbowl). The reason that stopped, was literally because the Falcons and a few other teams who had these high draft picks were losing players to injuries before the season started.

Sorry for the long story. I go deep into old football.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021

As I said. I can make a case for both. When you compare a player to a player. You should remove any rings and etc. Due to that's a team win. (Unless you can prove they won the majority of the regular season due to who they were, as well as the same for every game in the post season).

So when you look at numbers, the style of play. How both hit short sparks of being great. You'll see that O'Donnell had another season of better play..... Put that on the steel curtain and you have the same rings Bradshaw got.

But you go adding rings and only watching highlights (not the entire game and several through the season), and you'll easily think Bradshaw is the best ever.

5. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Don't forget that first Superbowl came off of another QB getting Bradshaw there to the post season. And then Bradshaw got put in.

But yeah, you and I are on the same page with how we see it. I'm just more out spoken to coming out saying which QB I would have seen with the steel curtain.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 88Unstoppable82

88Unstoppable82 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2021
    Ha ha, I completely understand.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Huh

Bradshaw played the last 7 games (5 wins) of the season, two playoff games and the SB. Bradshaw got the team there, no one else.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I watched both Bradshaw and O’Donnell. It’s not even close. Are you really doubling down on this?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 4
  10. DuckSux

DuckSux Active Member

Dec 22, 2019
    Just ask Larry Brown from O’Donnels lake house in Texas, he will vouch for him!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  11. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I did not know that. That's really impressive

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Like I said. I can make a case for both.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Have there been others since

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    That’s like waking up hungover with a fat chick and trying to make a case to save face with your friends

And I can say this….

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Naw it's not like that.

first is removing the steel curtain. And then looking at when they showed up to actually play. And their numbers and performance. As well as injury.

I can break it down. But I'll be real, you probably still won't agree with it..... There's a few on here who get my point. But a lot just have it in their head no one is better than Bradshaw. So I rather just leave it as it's doubtful you'll see my point and it'll just be a waste of time.

• Like Like x 1
  16. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Terry Bradshaw, Lynn Swann, John Stallworth in todays NFL, if you don't know, you just don't know.

• Like Like x 1
  17. 88Unstoppable82

88Unstoppable82 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2021
    Not to mention with the training, teaching and development from their earliest years on up that happens everywhere today. Yeah, that would have been something to see.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    you have a complete lack of understanding of the game then and now. Terry never had a QB coach. They didn't have them back then. Defensive backs could mug a receiver at the line and down field. He is 4 - 0 in Superbowls. A hall of fame QB and was the best QB the Steelers ever had. I was around for his entire career. He called his own plays. So I guess you consider this hate as well but he was the best we've ever had

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Look at the stats of some of those early games. A lot of games the passing yardage was under 200. Different NFL back then. Even Brady would have just handed it off to Harris and let the D win games. Once Bradshaw got his feet wet he was an amazing QB. One tough son of a *****. His passing in the 4th qtr. of Rams SB was his best quarter in his entire time in the NFL. I thought the Rams had us but Terry rallied the troops on the sidelines.

• Like Like x 2
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It’s third and seven:

O’Donnel will throw a 5 yard out pattern and the stats show a completion for 5. But in reality it is now 4th down and we have to punt. That third down pass was no different than a turnover.

Bradshaw will throw the ball deep down field and it will be a first down, or a touchdown, or the ball will be deep in the end zone seats, or an interception
    But he played to win

I watched both play and this is the difference

• Like Like x 2
  21. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    It's funny you present a "what if?" scenario of Tom Brady playing in the 70's. I was having a similar discussion with a co-worker a while back. Hard to say what he would have done. But the rules then as others have noted were so much different. QB's were hit well after the ball was gone, often without being flagged. A younger Brady could slide around within the pocket, but he likely would have been out of the game by his early 30's. There would have been no unwritten rule about flagging a defensive lineman for a fly-by. He may well have gotten NE to the playoffs but getting by the Steelers and the Raiders would have been his downfall.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    You make it sound as if anyone could be a QB and that defense carried them to winning..... Oh wait, that's almost what happened.

By the way, I'm old school. I remember the days of clotheslining. As well know someone personally who played in the 60's and taught me about the all star games that were put together of the top drafted college kids and would face a top NFL team. And how green Bay came off a Superbowl win and lost to the all star. But all that went to crap because to many college kids got hurt and teams complained.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    How did that work out for when the defense literally scored the points and offense had zero?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You lost me

25. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    No disrespect to anyone, but if you don't think Terry Bradshaw is an all time great and wouldn't put up monster numbers today, you don't know football.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1