1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrell Edmunds probably coming back on the cheap

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BK99, Mar 24, 2022.

1. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I'm guessing the Steelers resign Terrell Edmunds to a team friendly deal. Unless I'm missing something, I haven't heard of any interest in him from other teams.

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Good

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Just when things were looking up. Their is no reason to bring this player back but desperation to fill the position. They can find someone better to pair with Fitzpatrick. If they decide to its the vet minimum, he is not worth more then that and oh boy he is in demand on the market :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I never really understood the logic of picking him with the 28th pick when a guy like Nick Chubb or Darrius Leonard were on the board.
    But Colbert was looking at need would be my guess.
    Killibrew doesn't fill me with any confidence as a full-time starter.
    I think they feel like if any team is going to give Terrell a big contract, then so be it. He just hasn't been what they thought he would be.
    If you go to the draft, I like the Notre Dame Safety... but I am just not seeing him as an NFL safety.
    Tyrann Mathieu would be money better spent, if it were to be a sensible deal. I think Tyrann wants a bigger payday.
    At the end of the day, if they could retain Edmunds on the cheap and look in the draft, that would be the best route in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Edmunds in an average safety and that’s fine. Someone has to be the 11th starter on defense and they could do worse. If Edmunds was picked in the 3rd round instead of the 1st most probably wouldn’t have an issue with his play.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    While picking Edmunds was major a reach, let’s not pretend you aren’t using a bit of hindsight in your statement. Chubb and Leonard both went in the 2nd round as they were predicted to. If Edmunds ended up being star no one would talk about what a reach he was.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    I think almost subconsciously, that's what bothers people the most...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    tyrann mathieu 3 interceptions, 6 passes defended, 1 sack, 2 tackles for loss, 76 total tackles, 69.6% completions against, allowed 36 completions on 52 targets, gave up 3 TD's.

tyrell edmunds 2 interceptions, 6 passes defended, 1 sack, 8 tackles for loss, 89 total tackles, 56.6% completions against, allowed 30 completions on 53 targets, gave up 2 TDs.

y'all better check the stats before we pay more money to mathieu over edmunds. perception over actuality isn't always a good barometer. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    STD will be doing backflips

• Like Like x 1
  11. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    I got a strong feeling that Malik Willis will be the next big reach. I just dont see how a guy is a 1st rd prospect who finished as horribly as he did against mid tier competition. That's a major red flag I dont care how his pro day went. Can anyone think of a QB who was successful in the NFL (I'm not even talking SB winner) that finished with a mediocre career at college level??

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    TB12

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Edmunds isn't as terrible as people make him out to be. He's a solid, good tackler, he doesn't make a ton of splashy plays as you would sometimes like. Sometimes out of position in the passing attack.

If he were drafted in late round 2 through a 5th round pick, people would say that he was decent draft pick.

He was a little over drafted. But, he must not be getting to nice offers he maybe thought he get in FA. Maybe he comes back on a couple year deal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Comparing the last 4 years (the length of Edmunds career).

Mathieu 15 Int, 5 FR, 35 PD
    Edmunds: 5 Int, 1 FR, 21 PD.

I’m not down on Edmunds like others are but I’m always for upgrading and Mathieu is 10 times the playmaker Edmunds is. Steelers won’t pay a ridiculous contract to him so I’m not worried about the money. He will either accept a fair contract or he won’t be here.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

who cares about 2-3-4 years ago. edmunds has gotten better. last year he played on par or even outplayed mathieu. that's what counts. mathieu has had an injury list as well. what have you done for me lately. ben used to be better year ago too. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    So you just want to cherry pick stats from last year? What about 2020 season, is that too far back where Mathieu had 6 Int to Edmunds 2?

Edmunds has gotten better and he still doesn’t approach the playmaking abilities of Mathieu.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    maybe just maybe mathieu has gotten worse. i'm not cherry picking anything, i'm putting the stats out there for you all to see, you can make your own decision on them. i'm just showing that edmunds is right on par from last season with mathieu. which by the way makes way more money. edmunds now has some new coaches added as well. his arrow has been pointing up from his rookie year. :cool:

18. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    He’s ok on run defense but terrible at pass defense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Not pretending at all.
    Chubb was a stud.
    Lenoard we knew was 'probably' going to be good. (no one as you elude to, expected DROY)
    Edmunds was projected something like 6th best Safety.
    So the premise of me playing 'Captain Obvious' kind of falls short.. :smiley1: Not being combative, just sometimes somethings are overlooked.

I also think, yeah, it's obvious that if Edmunds turned into Troy Polamalu (2003 Round: 1, Pick: 16 project as best Safety whom Pittsburgh nearly passed on for Dexter Jackson! Wow!)
    Edmunds fell short on my expectations, I was figuring him not be a Troy but capable. I didn't really call him a reach at all, I figured they were going for need instead of Best Player Available.
    I don't know if I really call him a bust? If I implied that, it is wrong. I think he didn't quite perform as well and a reasonable contract is not out of the question. If some other team wants to give him the big payday, fine. I would like to see him come back on a 1 or 2 year deal.
    I'm thinking maybe the change in DC's might help?

• Like Like x 1
  20. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Can’t have 11 studs on defense, nobody would be able to afford it. Hence edmunds lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  21. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    It’s the Primacy Effect. For some people their first impression is the only impression. No matter what evidence is shown nothing will change their mind. Edmunds is a perfect example. Is he going to the HOF? No. Is he as terrible as some people around here make him out to be? Again no. He’s a decent, not great player. He has improved every single year.

watch if tomlin wins another Super Bowl the people that have been crying “with cowher’s players” for the last 15 years will come up with some new asinine excuse.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well...if I spend $2000 on a truck that sucks....yeah I'm more relieved than I am on the truck that sucks that I spent $50 thousand on. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    But that wasn't average at a small school

24. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Edmunds is horrible against the run . He was half the problem with our defense this past year. If he had a pulse he’d be getting offers . He’s a back up at best.

• Agree Agree x 4
  25. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    :lolol::facepalm::lolol::facepalm::lolol: