1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ranking of Teams on Free Agency moves

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelReal, Mar 23, 2022.

1. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    How does everyone feel the Steelers rank among free agency moves? I thought they were doing pretty good, but I have to be honest...when Cleveland got Watson it just seemed like it trumped every move the Steelers made. Miami has gone out and made some huge splash moves. Where do you realistically see the Steelers as a free agent player?...behind every AFC West team and who else??

2. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The best of course.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Ha, im sure we'll see plenty of that.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Well, so far I’d rate Cleveland as the dumbest team this off-season so there’s probably no point in us discussing this subject. Their cap situation and having fewer draft picks to restock talent at a rookie wage scale will start to affect their ability to keep a good roster together as soon as 2023. They have a very limited window before their margin for error dwindles to nothing. They’d better win right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Rams just got wagner….

I saw somewhere that our super bowl odds decreased after the signings lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    That's who I wanted. I read they are still just talking to him so i can hold out hope for now, but its gets bleaker and bleaker every day with the moves these teams are making.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Steelers have taken a sensible and methodical approach, signed several players with upside to deals that can be easily moved on from after year 1 if needed. I like most of the moves.

This isn’t a Super Bowl roster unless nearly everything goes their way, e.g. Mitch Trubisky turns out to be great, Claypool and others have breakouts etc. but they’ve done as much as they can to build a solid roster that should be competitive.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    fixed it. It’s not a super bowl roster lol. Other teams are stacked, let’s build our team so we can blow our load for a title in a couple years.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think that’s what they are doing, they had the money to make splash moves if they wanted to but they didn’t. They didn’t do anything stupid that will hurt them down the road. I think they’ve shown a good awareness of where they are at in terms of team building. The time to make big moves is when you have your QB in place

We are probably looking at another season hovering around.500

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    For the Steelers, Myles, Wallace and Daniels were splash signings.

I’m thrilled with the offseason moves and feel this team is much better than being given credit. Hope they make one more signing bringing in Mathieu, defense would be stacked.

On the offensive side, need to hit on a WR in the draft, given their track record and talent level in this draft class, they should accomplish that.

I expect them to be right there competing for the division assuming Trubisky doesn’t fall flat on his face.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I'll be the mope.

Three teams in the AFC didn't do much; Jags, Jets, and Texans. All of them were miles behind the Steelers so that doesn't change anything.

The 11 other teams added folks like Hill, Wilson, Watson, Mack, Adams, Ryan, Woods, Armstead, Von Miller, JC Jackson, Randy Gregory, OJ Howard, La'el Collins, Chandler Jones, hell, I'll even include JJ Schuster.

The point is we've lost ground relative to the rest of the conference. Now not all of these teams are going to be better. Some are going to be major disappointments, but not all of them. If 7 of the 11 actually improve, we're screwed unless our signees substantially exceed expectations.

For 2022 I think we're drawing to an inside straight. Could it happen? Sure. Will it? Not very likely.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    With Dolphins a happy 2nd dumbest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    This off season went exactly as I had hoped. We're not a legit contender for the foreseable future. My hope was we didn't do anything stupid to impede our ability to create a solid roster going forward. And then hope either Trubisky lives up to his draft position. If not, Eventually get your young QB in the draft and pray it's a good pick... or go all in to trade for your elite QB that is the missing piece (if one is available). Time will tell.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    This is what I'm talking about unless you were being sarcastic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    They didn't do anything big like ALMOST every contender in the afc did except the chiefs but I think they'll try to do something.

Bills
    Ravens
    Chargers
    Broncos
    Browns
    Bengals
    Raiders

All made big moves. Steelers are kinda like the patriots. They never really make the huge splash moves although lately NE has started to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Everyone here is smarter than Vegas.

18. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Nope just a homer. :) My new default going forward .

• Like Like x 3
  19. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I think we do better than most feel we should but definitely not a true contender. This is how you say… “ re tooling”. You need a franchise qb these days, cmon lol. Need to win shootouts every now and then.

I don’t even think mason has hit 30 points in his career

20. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Come on, bbh, you couldn't make the Mayfield avatar holding a Lombardi?

21. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Lots of folks saying the Steelers can just get a premiere QB in the draft in 2023. It’s not going to be that simple. They would likely need to trade some star player (s) and give up significant future draft capital (1st round pick(s)) to move up to get the top QB.

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Bet you Vegas didn’t have the Steelers sweeping the Brown and Ravens last year and I bet they didn’t have good odds on them making the playoffs.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    you mean sweeping those two first round running qbs? sorry, had to go there. :smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Vegas knows a lot better than the homers on this board that is for sure!

25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yep, and Vegas probably also didn’t have us being swept by the Bengals, and if I recall the odds were that the Bengals would finish last.

That’s why they play the games. The NFL season never plays out the way it’s expected to on paper.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1