1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

DeShaun Watson traded to the Browns

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by steelersrule6, Mar 17, 2022.

1. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Ha, I stopped reading when he self-proclaimed himself, "extremely smart" but incorrectly identify "everybody" as an extreme superlative.

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Obviously too smart for a football message board.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Man The Chiefs are good, but we just watched them get shut down multiple times with no answer in the playoffs the last few years.

Would be comedy gold to see the Steelers make it in and knock them out, so they could pan the camera to see JuJu over there looking lost.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014

Wrong. I'd say nice try but your opinions are apparently more rooted in emotion than reality when you compare a player that has done nothing to those that represent 8 championships. Take a Midol, get one from anal98 or whatever the hell he calls himself.

5. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This coming from a guy who posted a childish rant calling into question fans loyalty.

Take your own advice pal, you were completely triggered by people saying the Browns got much better.

7. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Just wait till AB signs with the Browns, then yall are really gonna lose your ****...:roflmao:

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I hope He does. One more problem for the Browns, and when He doesn't get what He wants, and throws a fit....I will glory in their misery while watching it all burn down around them. Just call Me Nero, and I will be playing a fiddle while it burns. LoL

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Meh, I care about the Browns improving, that doesn’t do much. I’d look forward to his eventual meltdown and hurting the team.

And hope that Minkah lights him up.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I agree. Especially with the bolded.

They're going to be a better team this year than last and if they win a SB it will be worth it. But they had better do it in quick, otherwise DW cap hit is going to be enormous and they won't be able to keep enough talent around him.
    According to SportTrac, he's only going to count $10M against the cap this year. That means that they are going to have to account for $220M over 4 years....$55M/year.

I'll admit that I don't understand every nuance of the cap, but I do believe that there's no way to eliminate 'fully guaranteed' money from the calculation. Maybe @AskQuestionsLater knows this?
    If this is true, only counting $10M this year could prove to be disastrous as they'd have to increase that to $55M next year and anything short of that just gets pushed into the last 3 years. They could be looking at $60M against he cap in years 4 and 5. That rate of increase will be greater than the rate of increase for the overall cap. Watson could command 30% of Clevelands cap near the end.

Of course they can restructure and extend in a few years, but that's just kicking the can down the road. Eventually it will be time to pay the Ferryman and the price will be high.

By comparison, Matt Staffords new deal counts $50M against the cap but not until 2023. Aaron Rodgers counted $49M against the cap this year forcing Green Bay's hand and pushing Devante Adams out the door.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Ha OTC updated and I am correct. The numbers are devastating starting next year.

https://overthecap.com/player/deshaun-watson/5596/

How are they going to restructure and extend at the end of the contract? That is an incentive to a player when he is at or near the end of his guaranteed money as it turns that non-guaranteed cash into a signing bonus that, for cap purposes, is spread out over years.

What incentive does Watson have in years 4 and 5?

Patrick Mahomes doesn't come anywhere near that until 2027.
    https://overthecap.com/player/patrick-mahomes/5594/

Also, check the dead money column. Brutal!:eek:
    If something happens to Watson like a severe injury that affects his ability to play, they're screwed. They'll be stuck with an injury riddled quarterback. Getting rid of him would mean that they'd have to have Watson and 52 volunteers around him. He'd be the worlds most expensive paper weight.
    This is exactly what happened to the Steelers with Roethlisberger but it was just for 1 year.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Insanity. I think Baker forced their hand though once he requested a trade and how scorched earth he goes when unhappy as one beat writer put it, Browns were probably like eff it, go all in for Watson.

13. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  14. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    He better than trubisky

• Like Like x 1
  15. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    It's no questions with his game or ability. His only questions are off the field.

16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't think so. They really are not good either one of them. I would give Trubisky the lead over Baker....only because He's more athletically gifted, but as far as anything else....they are about even.

17. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    You couldn’t be more wrong. You also claimed he had no talent around him the last three years. I don’t care what the circumstances are Blane Gabert should never ever out play you. If he doesn’t you better be on your best behavior. He failed on and off the field period

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    He is better than baker

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    You asked why would you compare his stats to a guy that played five games? The answer is because the TEAM around both players was the same. If you can’t see that the best comparison is Kap to Gabert then you are the one wanting to stack the deck to whatever suits you

20. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    I wonder if he realizes how sad and pathetic he is?

• Like Like x 2
  21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Disagree here. More can be found below.

• Like Like x 1
  22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Keywords here are for now but the bias is strong here regardless.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    I mean Deshawn Must be a amazing playoff super bowl champ because all the talking heads say browns are heading to super bowl without even playing a game now. Oh wait. Watson never won more that one playoff game . His teams always underachieved in playoffs even with best wr in league. They played in a crap division and then lost to average teams. The only thing DW is going to go through is some more massage therapists. No way the browns win the division especially this year with suspension coming.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Tonka Smash

Tonka Smash Active Member

May 2, 2021
    This definitely required its own thread.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Have no idea what happens this year, and yes cap space can be created year in and out, but even with an expanding Cap the Browns top 5 pr 6 players next year will take up about 65 to 70 percent of the cap. Insanity.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1