1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Trubisky looks like the most practical solution .....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by NewMexicoLobo, Feb 28, 2022.

1. NewMexicoLobo

NewMexicoLobo Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2021
    * The physical attributes that would work within Canada's soon-to-be expanded system.

* Showed that he could play while with the Bears -- before Nagy screwed him up.

* Because of the quality of his scout team play, Bills' players say he is really good.

* He is young but experienced.

* If he gets comfortable with the Steelers he could turn into something more than a bridge.

* Can be had for less than most of the others.

* What's not to like?

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    B55E0E40-DCD0-418A-BCF9-8A963877C68B.png

3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Personally I would pass on Trubisky.

I disagree that Matt Nagy is to blame for Trubisky's flaws. It might just be exactly the opposite.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Mason Rudolph is a better choice here.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  5. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    If I had to grab a non top tier guy.. I like Wentz way more. But would cost more as well.

Other than that... maybe Marriota... but he is just competing with Mason and Haskins

I think both Mason and Haskins can be a QB1..... not sure either can be the FRANCHISE. and if I can't grab one of the unicorns. I would rather just ride with what we got for a year.

HACK

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    If you throw out anyone that is currently signed to another team, and then you throw out Winston because of his torn ACL in November...

It should be Trubisky vs Marriota. Wednesday March 16th at 4PM the Steelers had better be on the phone.

Marcus Mariota 28 years old
    upload_2022-2-28_21-5-30.png

Mitch Trubisky 27 years old
    upload_2022-2-28_21-2-17.png

Mariota should win this contest hands down if he can stay healthy; Bigger, Faster, Stronger and Smarter. And why can't Mith Vertical Jump?

Marriota was on his way to an incredible NFL career before the wheels came off.
    Marcus Mariota NFL records
    • Most games with at least three touchdown passes by an NFL rookie: 4 (tied with Peyton Manning and Deshaun Watson)
    • Most passing touchdowns by a rookie quarterback in one half: four (tied with Jameis Winston and Deshaun Watson) (September 13, 2015)
    • First player in NFL history to pass for at least 250 yards with three touchdowns and rush for more than 100 yards in the same game
    • Second rookie in NFL history to throw at least four touchdown passes in a season opener
    • First quarterback in NFL history to record six total touchdown passes within the first two games of his career
    • First player in the Super Bowl era with a perfect passer rating in first NFL start
    • First player to have both a receiving and passing touchdown in a playoff game
    • First player to throw a touchdown pass to himself in the playoffs
    • Sixteen games with at least two touchdown passes in his first two NFL seasons (tied with Peyton Manning and Russell Wilson)
    • First rookie to have two games with four touchdown passes and no interceptions
    • First quarterback in NFL history to throw four touchdown passes in the first half of his NFL debut

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    And yet he sucks

Marcus Mariota is not a good quarterback. He just isn't. This is the problem with looking only at stats. Stats do not tell the whole story, especially when they are hand selected to prove a point.

I have watched Mariota play. He isn't very good. Bottom line is if the best you are going to bring in is a Mariota or a Trubisky, then just stick with Rudolph and Haskins. I really don't see the point of throwing more trash on the pile.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I see no issue with Mitch or Marriota. Like Haskins and Mason, both are bridges to the franchise QB with potential of their own.

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    why spend more on two of what we have already? if it's about canada's expanded offense, how do we know what mason can do in it? he ran bens offense. now we will know. draft a youngster and i don't think it even has to be in the first. i don't think any of these guys are your franchise type qb's. that's why i said even zappe or purdy or kelly. see what you have and fix area's around the team. i don't want to have to find one and find the wrong one. we shouldn't just change for change's sake. we don't even know what this offense will really look like and not sure how long it last's. using a 3rd or 4th round pick on a guy is much less of a pressure on him and the team. these guys have all won at the college level. see what they have and keep looking. no more retreads. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Mariotta is intriguing, I bet he is on the Steelers radar. (Just have to click on “watch on YouTube” to see the video for those of you that don’t know that.)

This article makes a compelling argument for him.

https://heavy.com/sports/pittsburgh-steelers/quarterback-marcus-mariota-buy-low-opportunity/

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Colt McCoy!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    And after all is said ,and done....was beaten out by Ryan freaking Tannehill. Not only that ....the team instantly got better when I'm a very average Qb Tannehill took over. So....:shrug:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I see no free agent QBs that are likely to take us to the next level, just guys who would be better than what we have. Based on what I’ve seen of those guys, Trubisky is my best bang for the buck option for 2022. I think he’d best fit a Canada offense. He’s shown flashes in the past. It was definitely not all bad in Chicago. JMO.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly on the 1st line....So why bother spending money on it. Role with what we got. Build everywhere else,and if by surprise Mason/Haskins/Dobbs turn out good....Well great.....if not, and they suck as bad as some think.....Well we won't have 2 move up 2 draft a Qb next year.
    Problem solved.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I guess trying to catch lightning in a bottle. I’ve never been sold on Mitch though. Mariotta would come cheaper. And to be clear, I think Mariotta would be a dart throw as well but like him better than Mitch.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Agree. I can see Trubisky doing well here. Well enough, anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  17. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Trubisky is the guy I want, not that it matters...He is intriguing, and the cost would be minimal

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Actually , they can be on the phone Monday the 16th. Signing starts at the time you specified.

And the Steelers typically avoid the first week of FA because of other teams overpaying.

• Like Like x 1
  19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers should sign a free agent QB.... Trubisky would be good, IMO. If Steelers draft a QB in any round in '22, I'll puke.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Between this and the guy who is going to slam his junk in a car door, the off season is looking more exciting.

• Like Like x 1
  21. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I'll be sure to take pics. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  22. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Maybe we should just fix the O-line in 2022 and not even think about QB that year. Sign up players we have to sign up, then go into 2023 with cap space and fixed O-line. Potentially move up in draft for QB if no free agent acquired in off season.

That`s how I would handle it. Use 2022 to position ourselves for making noise in 2023.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I dont love either Mason or Haskins BUT I do kind of agree with riding with them for a year, get the OL in better shape and THEN go for a top guy.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am hoping the Steelers break with tradition and chase an Offensive Lineman and a QB in the first week.

QB Mariota
    C Ryan Jensen

I think they could overpay for both these guys and I would still be happy.

Then they can work on fixing their defense through the draft.

25. Sun & Steel

Sun & Steel Active Member

Sep 6, 2017
    I follow the Bears, trust me it's Nagy and his system. No quarterback looked good in it. And the fact that Nick Foles, who Matt hand picked because of his experience in it and said during several games "this offense and doesn't work." And Nagy was an insipid and predictable play caller.

Mitch was the only QB who looked serviceable under Nagy despite not being played to his strength. His former coach tried to make him a pocket passer when Trubisky was better suited for RPOs and scrambling. When number 10 was in the offense looked below average when Foles, then Dalton and Fields took over it plummeted even lower.

Four different signal callers, three of whom have years of game time experience failing under the same coach and schemes point to offense and its "mastermind" as the real problem.

• Agree Agree x 2