1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

LET'S GO PENS!

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Jan 13, 2021.

1. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As soon as I saw who we were playing, I felt like it would be one and done. So disappointed.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    To put a ribbon on the topic, I think this team was good enough with a few bounces and some puck luck to get to the Eastern Conference Finals. I think the beating they would have taken in the first round and then against the Bruins would have eventually caught up with them. I honestly didn't expect Jarry to do a face plant in his crease. This team dominated in the offensive zone the last two games, and for long stretches of games of every other except for game 3. They played well enough to win the series. It's a real shame the way they went out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    What does a hot goalie have to do with this series?

It wasn't like these were 1 or 2 goal games.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    He was hot and got quite a bit of puck luck on quite a few of those shots. He was just seeing everything and the Pens weren't getting many bounces outside of highly skilled tips.

There's a reason he's the #2 goalie, but he obviously played above his head in this series.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Watching game 6 I just don't think we got beat by a "Hot Goalie".

I watched the Penguins score the go ahead goal,
    And then I watched the Penguins score the go ahead goal again,
    And then yet again I watched the Penguins score the go ahead goal again.

6. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    I can't see anybody beating Colorado. They have so much speed and scoring, it's ridiculous. I hope it's them and Tampa in the finals, it would be a great skating series instead of a clutch and grab, obstruction goon fest.

7. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I tend to agree with you. I remember when they were in Quebec. Nobody in Colorado gave a damn about them. They make the move and win the Cup the first year. Kind of unfair to me since cities can wait forever for a Championship. Damn Vegas almost did it to with a first year franchise. I like to think only because we gave them MAF.

The city of Tampa is having way to much success. Good thing they don't have a BB team:)

• Like Like x 1
  8. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    That was the fall out from the Eric Lindros trade. Quebec already had Mats Sundin, Owen Nolan and a young Joe Sakic. With the players they received for trading him to Philly, it put them over the top for '96. Then, with the pieces they added with the draft picks they also got, they were able to make additional trades that helped them win again in '01. Lindros had a solid career, but injuries and especially concussion problems prevented him from putting up HoF numbers. I was sort of pissed that Seattle got the new expansion team. I have thought ever since Quebec lost the Nordiques that they deserved priority consideration. Quebec/Montreal was such a great rivalry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    So the Pens traded Jared McCann to Toronto for a prospect and draft pick then Toronto lost McCann to the expansion team in Seattle. Crazy turn of events there.

I'm bummed they lost Tanev though. He showed a lot of spunk in the playoff series.

10. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    I really like Tanev, especially on a team bereft of players like him, but the Pens must have received intel from Ronnie Francis that the Kraken weren't interested in either Pederson or Zucker who were logical to leave unprotected at their production in relationship to their cap hit. They had to shed cap space, so Tanev had to go, unfortunately. McCann is what he is. A second/third line tweener. He's now on his fifth team in six seasons. Granted, he was merely a transaction with Toronto, but there's a reason he went from Vancouver, to Florida to Pittsburgh to the Leafs, and finally Seattle. He has some skills, like a wicked shot. But, he disappears for long stretches of the regular season and his image should be on a milk carton in the playoffs. To me, no big loss.

11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The original Gin and Juice jersey makes its return this month. Not the retro away jersey but the Home black. I hope the robopenguins logo makes a comeback too.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    I think they are sharp. I liked the third jersey they had about 8-10 years ago, the dark blue with the original skating Penguin shield and the cuff stripes. Unfortunately, those things got a reputation for bad juju.

13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Pens locked up Jeff Carter for two more years. Never thought I'd be happy that a Flyer was locked up by the Pens but go Jeff.

14. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Plus, any chance the Steelers could get Mike Sullivan to be HC? Man he has the Pens playing crazy good. Only 1 pt out of 1st place in Metro Division after hovering in the cellar at the start of the season. Go Pens!

• Like Like x 1
  15. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    The Steelers organization is too handcuffed to its own devices to even attempt to find an NFL Mike Sullivan equivalent.

16. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    I found Hextall's comments about Letang and Malkin interesting "We’ll see where they go". I have been assuming they sign both and have to let Rust walk.

17. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Based on Malkin's usual mistakes costing them them the Seattle game, it's long past time to move on. The guy is more a liability anymore than superstar.

18. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    CONGRATS SIDNEY CROSBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 500th GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Against my local NHL team the Flyers. Great comeback by PENS!!!!!!

• Like Like x 3
  19. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Pens putting together a great season with a very impressive 2nd half. Another HC named Mike who's never had a losing season in the Burgh ;). Seven seasons (so far) - 2 Stanleys. :thumbs up:

• Like Like x 1
  20. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Never thought of that. Maybe the Pirates need a Mike.

• Like Like x 1
  21. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    or Jim Leyland. :drinks:

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Bad week for the Pens. At least the Steelers beat Buffalo and Tennessee but did tie bottom feeder Detroit. :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  23. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Confused I am??????????? Are you mixing up 2021 with 2022????

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Are You Yoda now. LoL

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    OK - NHL's current season truly spans 2 calendar years where the most recent NFL season (in the Steelers case) was primarily played in 2021. So yes I see where it could be confusing when mentioning the Pens and Steelers and season stats in the same post. Good news, at least you didn't have to press 1 for English. ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2